Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My veggie plot - summer is coming! >

My veggie plot - summer is coming!

My veggie plot - summer is coming!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM

okay will do, but its not so much lizards a geckos, think they like the water, not sure, but will put in little ladders just to make you happy.

Elle
Old 05-07-2009, 10:06 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
okay will do, but its not so much lizards a geckos, think they like the water, not sure, but will put in little ladders just to make you happy.

Elle
:D :D :D

K x
Old 05-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Well, it's not really WRONG since most people call them that buuut (hrmm hrmm, clears throat, prepares to lecture!) BOTANICALLY speaking, geraniums are in fact a hardy perennial, common name, cranesbill NOT the plants I just put out which are BOTANICALLY speaking, pelargoniums! End of lecture! Here's a link if you're really interested, otherwise just ignore me and go on calling them geraniums like most of the rest of the planet, except saddo know it alls like me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelargonium

K x
the picture of the 'geranium' in that link is what we call the perennial one. it grows pretty well in the shade and is very reliable. also spreads like wildfire. we also have an annual geranium that is much showier, and dies back. but you can take cuttings and bring them indoors waiting for the next spring.

http://www.naturehills.com/catalog/A...um_Plants.aspx

Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Wow! What a nice garden. I don't do veggies anymore. We just don't have the space since we moved into a tract. I have geramiums I am putting back into the ground today. I overwintered them in the bathtub that no one uses! LoL! I love them they are a coral pink.

I used to really enjoy working a veggie garden. That would also mean putting it all up in the fall. Now I just pick up what I want from my favorite growers at the farmer's market. I love the smell of cooking those syrups and lovely jars of jellies jams and relishes. Now that is fall to me!

If the economy doen't pick up here, I think we will be seeing the old victory gardens here in the states more.

You are one smart woman to put in a garden to feed those children right. Good for you k3n!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 PM

i had a garden for 100 years. the whole shooting match. eggplants, tomatoes, hard squash, summer squash, brussels sprouts, a big asparagus bed, arugula, chives, mint, dill, fennel, sweet peppers, hot peppers, you name it. i baked it, froze it, mashed it, canned it, jellied it and gave it away. we even tapped the maple trees. yes - we did! now the kids are gone, we moved down, and we're older. we only grow container veggies, loads of flowers and birds. YAY! it's nice to sit in the shade, watch our neighbors garden and sip pina coladas. even if you have no neighbors to watch, try the pina colada part.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PrettyKitty
K, I loved your pic of Barney on the spuds! He looks like spud himself!!
I was laughing at myself, earlier, when you posted Barney's pic, cause I realized that for some reason, I had been calling him Chester! don't know where that came from. I like the name Barney. Getting a new kitty, maybe this week! I'll have to spend lots of time with her, to get her acclimated...maybe that will help me get my butt in gear. I'm draggin today. :D
Old 05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by k3n
Well, it's not really WRONG since most people call them that buuut (hrmm hrmm, clears throat, prepares to lecture!) BOTANICALLY speaking, geraniums are in fact a hardy perennial, common name, cranesbill NOT the plants I just put out which are BOTANICALLY speaking, pelargoniums! End of lecture! Here's a link if you're really interested, otherwise just ignore me and go on calling them geraniums like most of the rest of the planet, except saddo know it alls like me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelargonium

K x

woo hoo, BW, I didn't know they came in so many colors. They are gorgeous! Wish I had the cabbage to buy a bunch of them. Gonna have to go look at my floral fabrics! :D

the picture of the 'geranium' in that link is what we call the perennial one. it grows pretty well in the shade and is very reliable. also spreads like wildfire. we also have an annual geranium that is much showier, and dies back. but you can take cuttings and bring them indoors waiting for the next spring.

http://www.naturehills.com/catalog/A...um_Plants.aspx

Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Butterflywing wrote:
....even if you have no neighbors to watch, try the pina coladas part!

LOL...wish I could!
Man, what a garden you had. It is a lot of hard work, the planting, care, harvesting, and canning. LOt, lot, lot of work, but feels so good to have your own, clean, fresh, healthy veggies, just the way you like them :D
Old 05-07-2009, 02:56 PM

qc - i ordered one dozen started ones last week in true red. they go on my front steps and then here and there. we don't get enough warmth to start from seed here. each one really fills out to about 16" tall and 14 - 16" wide. the bottom starts to get naked so i put in marigolds. nice contrast. full blooms all spring into frost.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
qc - i ordered one dozen started ones last week in true red. they go on my front steps and then here and there. we don't get enough warmth to start from seed here. each one really fills out to about 16" tall and 14 - 16" wide. the bottom starts to get naked so i put in marigolds. nice contrast. full blooms all spring into frost.
Even here in Florida, I just never had a whole lot of luck with seeds. Guess I haven't really had all that much experience.
Wow, I bet they look beautiful, and especially with the yellow marigolds. They are such a happy flower. Maybe I'll hint to hubby, to get me a couple plants for mother's day. Then he can't mow them down, lol! :wink: