Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Pan

Son took nice, expensive Calphalon pan and put it in a campfire last night. He burned a bunch of blueberries. they are black, and all over the pan. I soaked the pan, and some of it will not come out. I have little black spots all over in the pan. Also the whole entire back of the pan is pure black.

I have scrubbed with Comet after soaking all night, and going after it with a scrubbing pad. Any ideas of how to save the pan? I just can;t scour one more minute. I am pooped, and my skin is getting raw.

Would Oxyclean work? I think I'd read the label or google it to see.

Maybe this trick will help. Fill the pan with water and let the water boil for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksi
    Maybe this trick will help. Fill the pan with water and let the water boil for a few minutes.
    What she said, only add alot of salt to the water. You can also use the salt to scour the pan.

I did this to a Calphalon pan of my own. I was making blueberry yogurt. One min. they were fine the next they were burnt solid to bottom of pan. I thought pan was done for also. My husband soaked it in dishwasher detergent. Cascade to be exact. For a couple of days. He got it clean just like new.

Interesting! I thought you were not supposed to put Calphalon in the dish washer??

Quote Originally Posted by betc
    I did this to a Calphalon pan of my own. I was making blueberry yogurt. One min. they were fine the next they were burnt solid to bottom of pan. I thought pan was done for also. My husband soaked it in dishwasher detergent. Cascade to be exact. For a couple of days. He got it clean just like new.

Quote Originally Posted by tdgiffin
    Son took nice, expensive Calphalon pan and put it in a campfire last night.
    And just a thought, go to the nearest resale shop and find him a good old fashion cast iron for his campfire cooking.

Be sure to teach him out to season it, he'll love it. He can season it over the campfire! Perfect.

I never went camping ~ cooked over open flame/fire ~ without one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MzMcKee
    Son took nice, expensive Calphalon pan and put it in a campfire last night.
    And just a thought, go to the nearest resale shop and find him a good old fashion cast iron for his campfire cooking.

Be sure to teach him out to season it, he'll love it. He can season it over the campfire! Perfect.

I never went camping ~ cooked over open flame/fire ~ without one.
    Iron is the only skillets I'll ever use! My mom cooked and still cooks with them and I have 7 of all differant sizes.

Calphalon recommend Barkeepers Friend cleaner. Good to know as that is what I use on my stainless steel sink as well.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/links.htm

Son took nice, expensive Calphalon pan and put it in a campfire last night. He burned a bunch of blueberries. they are black, and all over the pan. I soaked the pan, and some of it will not come out. I have little black spots all over in the pan. Also the whole entire back of the pan is pure black.

I have scrubbed with Comet after soaking all night, and going after it with a scrubbing pad. Any ideas of how to save the pan? I just can;t scour one more minute. I am pooped, and my skin is getting raw.

Try a Mr. Clean eraser wont hurt inside or out and might get everything off

When something like that happens to me, I find I have good luck when I fill the pan with water, add baking soda and salt and boil for a while. Hope you find a solution.

Power Poster
    which type of calphalon is it?

My husband did that just after we bought the Calphalon. You don't want to use anything really abrasive because it will scratch it. I just poured boiling water in the pan and let it sit. It took a few times but it came clean.

It is just the solid silver kind - I think it may be aluminum.

Blog Entries
    stainless steel is what they are. I just bought some because i got a glass stove top.

try hot water & place a softner sheet in it, let it soak overnight.....Worked for me.....Michele

I use my spray oven cleaner on my stainless steel things- sink, teapot, pans, etc. Even the glass pans.

Blog Entries
    Try oven cleaner on it and let it set then see if will come off.

Coat the pan with Dawn dishwashing liquid, let set several hours or over night.
    Girl Scout tip--before using a pan or pot over open campfire coat the pan/pot with a layer of liquid dish washing liquid.
    Makes easy cleanup.

Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Coat the pan with Dawn dishwashing liquid, let set several hours or over night.
    Girl Scout tip--before using a pan or pot over open campfire coat the pan/pot with a layer of liquid dish washing liquid.
    Makes easy cleanup.
    That is just what I was going to suggest.... My DH would do that to the pans when they cooked over an open fire on Canadian fishing trips. The clean up great!

I would boil it on the stove with water & salt. That's how Mom always cleaned the cast iron.

I put Calphalon, Analon & Circulon in the dishwasher all the time. The only damage ever done to my skillets was my sons over-using the cooking spray. There is something in the cooking spray that binds to the non-stick part and ruins it if it's not washed right away. I have worn out my Circulon non-stick pans but it took over 10 years cooking with them daily.

If one of my sons took my good stuff to a campfire--they had better come home with a new set. We have cast iron set aside for open flame cooking & they know it. It's too heavy for me to use.

Try hot water and add a dryer sheet. soak overnight. I don't know why, but I read it somewhere and tried on mine and it worked. Wasn't blueberries but worth a try to save your pan.

Blog Entries
    i've had success removing burned on mess using a little liquid fabric softner and water - bring to boil on stove - watch it! then let it sit for a while - maybe overnight. i read that in a 'how to' somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Beliveve it or not I have done this and it works. My sister forgot a pan on the stove and what was in it burnt to the bottom. I read somewhere that if you put a fabric softner sheet in the pan with some hot water and let it sit for about 20 to 30 minutes. The burnt particles will come right off with very little scrubbing.

Fabric softner works to clean off burnt on pans-may need to soak overnight but it does work. Couple of tablespoons in water cleaned burnt of the stainless steel pan.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast