Need New Vacuum Cleaner

Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
Depends on how much you want to spend. I have a Dyson. It is the one designed for pet hair. Expensive $500, but I love it. My mother's housekeeper used to stop by and borrow it to vacuum my mom's house.
My vote is also for the Dyson. Expensive but I have 2 long hair dogs & I need a good, strong vacuum & the Dyson is it.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 AM

I hated my Dyson and sold it. Maybe I would have liked the one with the ball better but the one I had (the Animal) was heavy and hard to negotiate into small areas. It would probably be great for really large rooms/areas - but that's not what I have. I had wall to wall carpet when I bought it and still didn't like it. Now I only have a couple of small area rugs and I bought a cheap tank type at Sears for the dust bunnies. It is lightweight and easy to haul from room to room.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 AM

I had the vacuum problem for years! The last straw was a $750 Oreck canister. Bought on sale! I had to special order the filters and often the bags. It went thru 3 motors in 5 years(in warranty). When they told me a new hose was $75, I went to Sears and bought a $39.99 Shop Vac. I also got the Hepa filter, extra bags and smaller hose for it Less than $75 for all.It's red. It has 4 huge wheels. It turns quickly, pulls easily behind me. I don't have to struggle with it. It will pick up everything--pins, rocks,pecans,cat toys hidden under things, cat litter, ping pong balls, even the water in the dog dish! AND you don't have to spend 3 days drying out the motor if you manage to pick up water (or something like water). If you don't need a carpet sweeper, get a cheap shop vac. Mine's 10 years old and is still perfect. And I'm an artist who vacuums up glitter, paint, cat hair, and other unmentionables.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 AM

Has anyone tried the Shark swivel sweeper (I think it is called) with the lift-off handheld cannister with hose?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 AM
Banned

I have a Hoover Supreme Wind Tunnel. To me, a vacuum is a vacuum. I'll never get all the dog hair out of my carpet. Not even with my heavy duty scrubber.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by becky65 View Post
I had the vacuum problem for years! The last straw was a $750 Oreck canister. Bought on sale! I had to special order the filters and often the bags. It went thru 3 motors in 5 years(in warranty). When they told me a new hose was $75, I went to Sears and bought a $39.99 Shop Vac. I also got the Hepa filter, extra bags and smaller hose for it Less than $75 for all.It's red. It has 4 huge wheels. It turns quickly, pulls easily behind me. I don't have to struggle with it. It will pick up everything--pins, rocks,pecans,cat toys hidden under things, cat litter, ping pong balls, even the water in the dog dish! AND you don't have to spend 3 days drying out the motor if you manage to pick up water (or something like water). If you don't need a carpet sweeper, get a cheap shop vac. Mine's 10 years old and is still perfect. And I'm an artist who vacuums up glitter, paint, cat hair, and other unmentionables.
Oh that reminds me. I volunteer at an animal rescue and my job is cleaning the cat room. Although I've used their regular vacuums I ALWAYS get out the shop vac. It sucks everything up better. (I know that doesn't sound very good!)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM

I too have the pet Dyson. I have had a Hoover, Oreck and can't remember everyone but I will always have a Dyson from now on. I purchased a used one off of Craigslist just to see if I would like it. Fell in love so purchased a new one and sold the used one. Dyson is awesome and when I go to empty the container I take it out to the garage to empty, as it can be dusty.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 AM

My DD has a Bissel, and I love it. She was ill and I went to help out, and that puppy is great,. You can actually take the filters out and wash them. I think there is one on my list of goodies
Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 AM

Dyson, Dyson, Dyson if you have a pet. I can't recommend them highly enough.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by PumpkinSundae View Post
Hi...my vacuum cleaner just died and with two kitties and my sewing I need to get another one fast. I went to Sears but all I saw was a bunch of lightweight cleaners. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good vacuum cleaner.

Thank you and hope you all have a wonderful day.
I have a Royal Upright that I bought for $350 in 1996 and it's still going strong. I had to take it in a few years back because it wasn't picking up so good and was going to trade it in for a Dyson but the guy said mine was better made than a Dyson. It's metal (heavy) and works great for pet hair. It cost me less than $100 to replace the roller (the bristles were wearing down which caused the problem) and get a tuneup. That's been about 6 years ago and still works great.