Need New Vacuum Cleaner

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Miele. I just got the Consumer Guide vacuum report and it recommends several models of the Sears Kenmore machines. But reading on the Sears website, the reviews are mixed on them. And don't forget, we all have different dirt and different STANDARDS, too. Personally, I hate bagless, but some don't mind.

Check Craigslist and you will see the ones people don't like!! Very seldom a Miele on there....mostly cheap uprights, and lots of Kirby's.

Another thing to consider is the cost of bags. Miele now charges $19 plus tax for 4 bags!!!!! I buy the generic ones on Amazon. With a small farm, cats and a wood stove I change bags frequently.

Dyson's may be fine on cat hair, but they don't do well on litter. A friend had the best Dyson makes and she has litter bits all over her house. The machine sucked it up but spewed some of out again.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM

I just bought a new Dyson and I love it. I also got the Pet one as my DD visits with her Large dogs and they leave a lot of hair behind. I have RA so it is hard for me to vacuum, but this one makes it so much easier on me.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM

I have a Miele, an Air Way Sanitizer, a Royal and an older Shark light weight model. All work well. I like the Shark as it's so light, but replacement filters have to be ordered and the response time is slow. The Miele is great, but pricey. The Air way Sanitizer is made of steel and will probably last forever. Works well, but the cord does not retract. For quick pick ups I prefer my small Shark hand vacs to any of these.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM

I have a Dyson and LOVE it. I had a Kirby for a loooong time. lovec it also, but was very heavy and a strain on the back to use. The Dyson is light weight, easy to use and no need for bags. Just dump the canistserLove it
Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 PM

We currently have an upright Simplicity made in the US that is great, but we saw a wonderful canister (Sebo brand) that we would like to get.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Another vote for DYson.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM

I have a Dyson. I needed a second vacuum because I'm tired of dragging it up and down the stairs. I bought a Shark Professional with the lift of canister. The Shark beats the Dyson! The Dyson was over $300 and the Shark was $199 on Amazon and it does waaaaaaay more than the Dyson.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM

If you don't have carpet, I'd go with a shop vac. My AZ house is huge, no carpet and that shop vac is the best idea I ever had! My life sounds pathetic, doesn't it???
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Because of my allergies, we invested in a Rainbow vac in 1998. The part that would be the bag holds water. All the dirt, pet fur, etc., goes into the water. When done, dump the water and good until next time. We haven't replaced a thing on it and it can do wet or dry clean ups. The disadvantage is the initial outlay, but worth it in the long run. We had a Miele, but like the no bag system better.

Last edited by coopah; 03-12-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

I am a Dyson fan. Expensive, but lasts we've had ours for 14 years and the motor is still strong as ever. No need to replace bags, easy to move around and has a lot of washable parts. A couple of times I've had to replace parts (sometimes I'm a clumsy idiot and have knocked it over or accidentally dragged it down steps), not a problem, they have an online store and parts are readily available and not too expensive. We have 2 cats and two dogs plus 2 budgies....I vaccuum everyday and our Malamute x boy queues up for a vacuum too. Anything that can cope with that is worth it