Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need or Want: Food Processor

Blog Entries
    As soon as I use my FP I wash it!
    If you wait to wash it food sticks on it. If you wash it first the food will rinse right off no hassles.

I have a Cuisinart Duet - one motor base and blender or food processor interchanges. I use the FP most for grating - cheese, cabbage for slaw, cranberries for sauce at Thanksgiving/Christmas, ect. cuts a lot of the work out. All of the puecfes are dishwasher safe, although I casefully wash the blades by hand. The blender is a really nice one too.

I bought it at Costco for $50 several years ago when my blender died.

I got a basic cuisinart when models changed about 12 years ago. I got the outdated model. Works great. I don't use it on a regular basis but like having it when I need it. I also use it to make powdered laundry detergent. It is just soap and washes off.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Haven't used my FP daily but I do like mine. Love everyone's comments on here so far.

Thanks BDawn for your tip for easy cleaning on FP.

PS: I have made bread in my Kitchen Aid mixer and my FP until I got my breadmaker. I throw the dry ingredients in, make an indent for the yeast, pour liquids around the outside edge of dry ingredients, plug it in, set it on the dough setting and press start! An hour and a half later I take the risen dough out, punch it down, shape it, let it rise again and turn the oven on. Nothing simpler INHO.
    Last edited by SewExtremeSeams; 02-26-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Well I use mine for making scalloped potatoes, hummus, onions, cheese shredded and the like. I have 2, a 9 cup and 11 cup. I found the 11 cup at Goodwill for 5$ it needed a new lid. I ordered it for 45$ from the manufacturer. The unit was 225.00 new. When I do hummus every other week , the 11 cup is the best. Depends what you eat and cook. When I buy onions and on the ball I shred all of them and freeze them in small batches. Saves time when I am working 40 to 60 hour weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by callen View Post
    I respect the opinions on this board so much that I need your help. For those who have a food processor - what are your main uses for it? Is it one of those appliances that will sit on the counter just for looks or am I just missing the needs vs wants for one? I would appreciate your input on this issue - obviously not an earth shattering decision but have very mixed opinions on this appliance. Also, what brand do you like best? I am leaning towards a Cuisinart 9 cup model because I have read several negative reviews on KitchenAid small appliances. I thank you so much for your help.
    I had a cuisine-art years ago and loved it. I did make pizza dough in it but mine was not large enough to do bread dough. I used it practically nonstop in the summer when I was preparing vegetables from the garden. The motor was still going strong by the time I had worn out the bowls and blades. Wish I still had it.

I have & use 3, small one for chopping nuts, onions, & any small quantities, medium for slicing, chopping, mostly vegetables, large because I can garden produce and salsa in summer. Makes short work when I can 50 or 60 quarts of salsa or stewed tomatoes each year. Not worth the clean up to use large or medium for small jobs, takes too long & too hard on medium size to use for canning so what size depends on what you're going to use it for. The inexpensive ones last just as long as the higher priced ones as long as you use it for what it's intended cause it's the blades that get dull and plastic pieces that wear out or crack first. One usually lasts about 5 years or so for me & by that time they've come out with a better model anyway. Only 2 seniors in this household, one with diabetes so food production and diet have a high priority.

I have the cusinart mini from hsn. I am gluten and soy sensitive and use it constantly to make rice flour. cornmeal and other stuff.
    don't stop!just keep trying and something usable will turn out!!

I have used food processors for more than 30 years and would really miss it. The first was a Braun that I got with S&H Green Stamps when we lived in Florida, and after more than 25 years a part broke and could not be replaced. I bought a Kitchenaid and the handle broke after only about a year, guaranteeing that I will never again buy that brand of anything! I got another Braun and I'm happy with it.

I use it several times a week, and sometimes several times in a day, especially around the holidays. It saves time, and the parts go into the dishwasher, so there's no complaint about clean-up.

Let's see how many things I can think of that I do:

Mixing the wet ingredients for banana bread.
    Making hummus and other dips.
    Making a strawberry health shake (1 cup buttermilk, 2 cups frozen berries, a bit of Splenda).
    Pumpkin shake (vanilla ice cream, pumpkin pie spice, canned pumpkin)
    Orange or chocolate buttercream frosting. Some other flavors come out tasting a little raw, but those two are great.
    Pureeing all sorts of things.
    Mine has a juice reamer, which I don't often use because there are just the 2 of us, but if I wanted a lot of juice, that would be good.
    Pie crust. Don't over mix it!
    Grating carrots.
    Grating cheese.
    Slicing potatoes for scalloped potatoes.
    Chopping nuts or almost anything else that needs chopping or mincing.
    Chicken salad (or beef or ham salad)
    Quick bean soup: Puree a can of beans and cook it with another can of beans left whole plus whatever other ingredients your recipe calls for. It gives the soup a great texture in a hurry.
    Before I had my bread machine, I used the food processor to "knead" yeast dough, and it works pretty well. I would recommend looking for a recipe that's tailored to that method because there is limited capacity. I don't remember what recipe I used.
    Oddly, I don't usually use it for deviled eggs because I usually only make a few and find it easier to drop the yolks and other ingrds. into a Seal-a-meal bag, work them around by hand and then cut a corner off to fill the eggs - less mess.

I can't think of any others off the bat, but you get the idea. I would rank it right up there with the microwave among things I appreciate in the kitchen. At first you will tend to follow your old habits and tend to forget about it, but if you remind yourself to consider whether something could be simplified with this machine, you will be surprised how often it could. It's best to have it out where you won't have to do too much digging around to get at it. Read the manual and start by using recipes in it first to familiarize yourself. Have fun.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

I have the Kitchenaid 12 cup food processor. I use it with a slicing disc to slice potatoes for many recipes, Au Gratin, Fried Potatoes, Potatoes Galette. I also use it to make Coleslaw, and Salsa (try Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman's recipe..yummy). I also use it to make sauces and salad dressings. If you do a lot of cooking from scratch you might want to buy one. I like the Kitchenaid, but I am not impressed by the manual.
    *~~~Janet~~~*

I have an antique from the 70's that had been my mother's. She used it for everything, but I rarely take it out of the cabinet. Generally I can chop vegetables, etc. in less time than it takes to put the thing on the counter, plug it in, put the veg through it and clean the thing. If someone stole it, it would be months before I realized it. lol

Sure wouldn't spend any money to buy one. I once bought a tiny on, thinking it would be good for chopping herbs, etc., but I never used it and gave it away after a year or so. I would rather spend the money on a good knife.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Blog Entries
    Its nice to have. I got mine at a auction paid $10.00 for it and its a name brand Cuisinart. Its heavy takes us space and I use it off and on. When it no longer works I will replace it with a smaller one that takes up less space and is not so heavy.
    Last edited by grandmahoney; 02-27-2014 at 04:56 AM. Reason: spelling

I have a small one. I use it to chop up onions, chicken for salads, quesadillas, grate the cheese. I use it occasionally but l am always glad I have it. Not a top of the line but works just fine.

I DO use my crock pots weekly! Esp my quart and a half ine. Perfect for two people.Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Lots of extra washing up to do.

Blog Entries
    I have a mini Krups , use it for non food purposes , - I make my own laundry powder ,due to allergies, and chop up my Zote soap in it, and add my washing soda and borax powder - also do other crafts besides sewing , chops up polymer clays super fast.

I have an inexpensive one that stays stored away most of the time. However, it is invaluable at times when I'm cooking of canning. I use it to make salsa, and when I make tamales. I guess a blender would also work but I like using the food processor. It doesn't take as long and puree's better.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

lbc
    I think it depends on how much you cook. I have a cuisiinart and have been please with it. Had a kitchen aid prior to that and actually liked it better but that was over ten years ago. I just made coleslaw for 20 people and it was a lifesaver. I also use it for grating cheese and carrots. I also have a vitamix and use it now, instead of my cuisinart for blending soups, chopping onions, smoothies, etc. but cuisinart can be used for those things too.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
    Lots of extra washing up to do.
    I put all the parts to my food processor in the dishwasher, no problem

Wow, talk about a variety of answers. Everyone's input has been great !! Just what I needed - still not quite sure if or what I will buy but this has certainly helped. I am still leaning towards a Cuisinart 600 watt model but our WalMart has a KA 300 watt model for 1/2 the money. It's hard now that so much electronic stuff is made in China. I do believe KA was an excellent product prior to the China thing & maybe even Cuisinart has done the same thing but I have read excellent reviews on the Cuisinart models & not so much for KA. In the past I have been a firm believer in KA products but now, not so sure. THANK YOU everyone for all of your valued opinions.
    Dance like no one is watching

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I had a food processor and didn't use it very much so when I moved I replaced it with a Ninja which is a combination blender and food processor. I love it and would never go back to a regular food processor. I used my food processor to make pesto, relish/salsa for the most part. I didn't find it worth the effort to shred cheese with it and such.

"Antique" from the 70's?

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Well I don't know just how to use it my KA.....I sliced potatoes for scalloped spies, but they were so thin they were mush. Only use it for tasty fresh lemon aid........wish I could bond with it....I need lessons........calla

Power Poster
    I love my food processor...I use it for shredding, chopping and grating veggies. I also love it for blending and also for mixing pie dough....I has so many uses..

I also have a Cuisinart and I am very comfortable using it. Very helpful when I need it

When you need one, you need it and settling for cheap isn't smart. I've had a food processor for over 30 years and it has been so valuable. I started with a Robot Coupe and from there went to the Cuisinart 11 cup. Chopping onions and peppers together, mixing up nut butters, grinding large blocks of cheese into shreds (the cheese actually tastes like cheese instead of the dead products they sell for a fortune already grated at the store), shredding heads of cabbage into slaw and any task that would require a knife or grater and is a drudge to do. The food processor does the job in ZOOM time and does it well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast