Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Need or Want: Food Processor

My Cuisinart is the one small appliance I would not live without. I use it for shredding cheese, making quick bread dough, cookies, soups. It is wonderful when you are canning or making jelly. We use it all the time. I've probably had it for 30+ years. Never had a problem with it. Cuisinart is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by wraez View Post
    I don't have one so no experience to tell the difference, I love my Vitamix, it sits on my counter (it is the 48oz, short size) and I use it daily for protein shakes, also use it to make p-nut butter, flaxmeal, chiameal etc etc etc. It can be pricey but it has been worth every penny. I spent $ on other products that I ended up not being happy with, had I purchased the Vitamix first instead of trying to save $ I wouldn't have been more $ behind. It will do cheese, make hamburg out of steak, etc etc. You can watch a video of it on QVC which is where I bought mine, to see all that it can do.
    QVC has it on right now, and it looks amazing, especially for the hot soups.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trisher View Post
    I have a Cuisinart that I really like. I use it mainly to grate big hunks of cheese! (Cheaper than buying it already grated and it freezes well grated.) I also use it to 'puree' tomatoes etc.

I have a Braun at the cottage - it is ok, but I much prefer the Cuisinart.

Maybe its cheaper to buy grated cheese than invest in a machine... but I do use it for other things sometimes!
    Love my Cuisinart, its so old it used to be white now its yellow. Its great from everything from chopping, shredding to making bread dough. Up until I bought my Ninja blender, it did it all. I used to not care for blenders because unless there was lots of fluid it would get all stuck in the bottom. If my processor breakes, I'll buy another one because it makes my life easier.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    From above post: excellent product prior to the China thing
    Here's the thing, we all would love to buy American but its becoming allmost impossible. I own a ford but I'll guarantee there are parts from all over the world on it. I own Vikings, and yes, alot of Vikings are now made in China but I was told by their rep, that yes they are made there but Viking has thier own company/factory there so they are still controlling the quality of the product. Companies are going to make thier products where they can make the most profits, that's the bottom line. About the only thing that you can count on being American made is fresh produce and unfrozen meat, I hope. Do your research and see what will meet your needs. What ever you buy, use it alot the first week or so and put it thru the test and if it doesn't hold up, return it and try another model.
    Judy

I have a Cuisinart that I've had many years and love it. I grate cabbage for coleslaw, chop nuts, any veggie that is in need to be chopped. Sometimes even meat for Brunswick stew. If I cook a large chuck of meat like a pork loin I will chop it for B-B-Q. There is many uses for it. More will come as you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I have an older one. I use it a few times a year. It's big and clunky so I need to get a new model as this takes up a lot of shelf space. I don't see how you can cut yourself with it. None I've seen will work without the bowl lid locked in place.
    i don't under stand the getting injured either. mine won't even turn on unless bowl is locked in place and the shove chute too small to stick my hand down ..fortunately mine is older model also, we bought it at costco years ago. it came w all the different blades also. i use it for making pestos, chopping walnuts for baking and bread crumb toppings, i pureé garlic w olive oil to freeze so that i always have "fresh" garlic to add to whatever i am cooking. my cuisinart food processer is very important tool for me. i found a mini one at thrift shop few years ago & love it for small batches just for the two of us.
    Last edited by roguequilter; 01-04-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Blog Entries
    I thought I needed one but the only thing I do with it is slice potatoes for scalloped potatoes and cabbage to make cole slaw.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
    i pureé garlic w olive oil to freeze so that i always have "fresh" garlic to add to whatever i am cooking.
    Thanks for the tip! Would be a great timesaver for me. Found these directions online and will have to try it:
    To prepare, peel cloves. Make a puree with oil in a food processor (1 part garlic to 2 parts oil). Pack in suitable containers, seal, label and store in freezer. Puree will stay soft enough to scoop out as needed for sautéing.

Blog Entries
    I like that garlic/olive oil idea. I love using fresh garlic but sometimes I'm not in the mood to peel and put it through the garlic press (then clean the garlic press-not fun). I'm going to try this (using my small food processor since I don't think I'd make enough for the big one to even reach. lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Thanks for the tip! Would be a great timesaver for me. Found these directions online and will have to try it:
    To prepare, peel cloves. Make a puree with oil in a food processor (1 part garlic to 2 parts oil). Pack in suitable containers, seal, label and store in freezer. Puree will stay soft enough to scoop out as needed for sautéing.
    you're welcome ...i used to grow a lot of garlic. we ate a lot, family members wanted a lot, but i still had more. i started doing it like this to preserve what wasn't set aside to plant. there wasn't any "web" then. i do peel the cloves, but i don't measure anything. just fill the bowl, top on & drizzle olive oil till it looks right. i use clean empty herb jars. i don't make a very thin pureé ..more garlic than olive oil and it doesn't stay soft when frozen. i like lots of garlic when i cook. so small jar thawed for use doesn't go bad before used up.
    Last edited by roguequilter; 01-04-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    The sites I looked at said that if it thaws you have to use it immediately. Do you store this stuff in your fridge? I guess there's a big botulism concern with garlic in olive oil.

I have a kitchen aid thing that has a base on which you can attach a blender, mixing or kneading beaters, or a grinder, shredder, cutter..depending on blade used, also a noodle, pasta maker or sausage stuffer........and I have used all parts sucessfully...more when we were a family, but now kids gone, I am widowed, so creative scratch food prep is very limited....I still make my own bread crumbs from dried bread...and do use slicer for batch cooking, and beaters for cookie baking...the rest of the attachments are packed away in the pantry. But, it was the best investment we made......

Blog Entries
    I have the large & small Ninja, use the small one daily, the large one is lonely for use
    Patski
    always learning

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    The sites I looked at said that if it thaws you have to use it immediately. Do you store this stuff in your fridge? I guess there's a big botulism concern with garlic in olive oil.
    yes, stored in fridge. frozen in small quantity so easy to use up fast. that's why i use the little glass jars that storebought spices come in. i am not an expert, but i think any fresh vegie stored w/o the high heat/pressure of processing can be a source of botulism. over the many years that i have been putting up garden produce i only got sick once. when i first got the bright idea to save some of my sweet corn many years ago i got really bad stomach issues. one of the docs in the ER i was working in laughed when i told him what i had eaten the night before & told me what i had done to myself ...i bought a pressure cooker after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I have a kitchen aid thing that has a base on which you can attach a blender, mixing or kneading beaters, or a grinder, shredder, cutter..depending on blade used, also a noodle, pasta maker or sausage stuffer........and I have used all parts sucessfully...more when we were a family, but now kids gone, I am widowed, so creative scratch food prep is very limited....I still make my own bread crumbs from dried bread...and do use slicer for batch cooking, and beaters for cookie baking...the rest of the attachments are packed away in the pantry. But, it was the best investment we made......
    i had a similar appliance i had acquired before i got married. used it a lot! then after mariage & child used it even more. looked for something equivelent when i wore it out, kitchenaid was way out of my budget. i miss my old multipurpose machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    The first was a Braun that I got with S&H Green Stamps
    Now there is a blast from the past...my husband was a truck driver and got them by the rolls when fueling. For broke newlyweds the green stamp store was nirvana

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
    yes, stored in fridge. frozen in small quantity so easy to use up fast. that's why i use the little glass jars that storebought spices come in. i am not an expert, but i think any fresh vegie stored w/o the high heat/pressure of processing can be a source of botulism. over the many years that i have been putting up garden produce i only got sick once. when i first got the bright idea to save some of my sweet corn many years ago i got really bad stomach issues. one of the docs in the ER i was working in laughed when i told him what i had eaten the night before & told me what i had done to myself ...i bought a pressure cooker after that.
    In that case it should be used as quickly as a regular leftover, which would be about 3-4 days. Botulism is deadly so whatever you got from the corn probably was something else. Garlic is especially low acid and when it's store in oil (most leftover veggies would not be, I would imagine) it's doubly dangerous because of the anaerobic conditions.

Unless it's canned (professionally-I don't can anymore) it should be treated as a leftover. Used within 3-4 days or frozen.

I have one of the old Cuisinarts from the 70's and I used it a lot the first few years I had it. I used to make all my own bread and it was wonderful. I love it for slicing vegetables-used it for scalloped potatoes this weekend. i would use it more but I have so little counter space I have to put it away after using and it's too much bother to dig it out sometimes. Great for pickles too. I have a small one but only use it for onions, celery, stuff like that in small quantities.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Blog Entries
    I have a Black and Decker food processor. I use it a lot. I chop onions , can make your own pnt butter by chopping nuts and adding oil to it. I mix ingrediants to make pie crusts, I grind up egg shells for calcium for my dogs and chickens. I use it to grate foods such as carrots-potatoes for latkes, Can slice, grate ,and chop with it. Grate cheese etc. Lots of things you can use it for. Can make purees with it, sauces, I even chop up hard boiled eggs for egg salad. So there is a wide range of what you can do with a food processor and mine does sit on my counter and I use it several times a week. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Can also make your own salsa by chopping all ingrediants in the processor.

Blog Entries
    I have a lot of kitchen appliances and gadgets. but my favorites are the food processor, Bosch bread maker, Kitchen Aid Mixer and the Nutrimill for grinding grains. Im an old fashioned cook and make most recipes from scratch. But these appliances help me to cut time when time is of essence.

It might help to get a low cost one for about $40 and see if you will actually use it. If so, then get a better quality one. I bought one at a garage sale for a few dollars. Found that I never used it. Gave it to my Mom who also never used it. However, a decade later, and advancing arthritis, we both use it.

The problem is counter space. If you can't keep it accessible, it's often more hassle than its worth. Since we only use a toaster rarely today, it now has a place in the cupboard and a food processor is there in its place.

I had one, used it often. Great for crushing soda cracker & graham crackers, also I had a slicing disk for making scalped potatoes, & other things that needed slicing, I put Butter finger candy bars in it to crush for a dessert I make, but I used it for 30 yrs and then couldn`t get parts for it and don`t cook, bake or can as much as I use to and don`t think I`ll replace it. I have a little 1 cup machine that can crush walnut, onions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4