A new tote bag

Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 PM

Love your bag ! It IS weird to use a paper or tissue pattern now, after so much rotary cutting.
I sewed a lot of my clothes in high school, it was nothing to sit down and make a skirt in a few hours to wear the very next day - or make an outfit over the weekend to wear on Monday ! Remember the PANT SUITS ?? We couldn't wear jeans to high school then (1970's) - it had to be a matching pant suit. And our dresses could be NO shorter than our fingertips as we stood for "inspections" by the asst. principal or counselor. Crazy :roll: :roll:
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Love your bag ! It IS weird to use a paper or tissue pattern now, after so much rotary cutting.
I sewed a lot of my own clothes in high school, it was nothing to sit down and make a skirt in a few hours to wear the very next day - or make an outfit over the weekend to wear on Monday ! Remember PANT SUITS ?? We couldn't wear jeans to high school then (1970's) so it had to be a "matched pant suit". And our dresses could be NO shorter than our fingertips as we stood for "inspections" by the asst. principal or counselor.
Crazy :roll: :roll:
Ah, yes, I remember those days.... and I had a friend that kicked out of school because her skirt was too short...even though THEY measured...her legs made her skirt look short (optical illusion??) SO, she wore a "granny gown" the next day ---long skirt to the ground....got kicked out again!!!! Much simpler days, eh!?!?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Great bag, and I love the pattern for this one. Have a nice trip.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM

It's really really cute- great fabric too!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Its really cute!
Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 PM

I sewed a lot of my own clothes in high school, it was nothing to sit down and make a skirt in a few hours to wear the very next day - or make an outfit over the weekend to wear on Monday ! Remember the PANT SUITS ?? We couldn't wear jeans to high school then (1970's) - it had to be a matching pant suit. And our dresses could be NO shorter than our fingertips as we stood for "inspections" by the asst. principal or counselor. Crazy :roll: :roll:
TexasGurl, I could have written your post! I used to make a dress Saturday morning to wear to a school dance that evening. Better yet, I would make separates so that I could roll up the skirt when I was out of the teachers and chaperones sight!

Are tissue patterns thinner now? I used one for a tote bag recently and it seems it tore so easily.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I sewed a lot of my own clothes in high school, it was nothing to sit down and make a skirt in a few hours to wear the very next day - or make an outfit over the weekend to wear on Monday ! Remember PANT SUITS ?? We couldn't wear jeans to high school then (1970's) so it had to be a "matched pant suit". And our dresses could be NO shorter than our fingertips as we stood for "inspections" by the asst. principal or counselor.
Crazy :roll: :roll:
Ah, yes, I remember those days.... and I had a friend that kicked out of school because her skirt was too short...even though THEY measured...her legs made her skirt look short (optical illusion??) SO, she wore a "granny gown" the next day ---long skirt to the ground....got kicked out again!!!! Much simpler days, eh!?!?
You bet ... I got sent home to change a few times myself ! LOL & I remember those granny & prairie dresses. One of my fav dresses EVER was a beautiful pale yellow Gunne Sax dress that I wore to the Jr-Sr prom. :)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Very pretty.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:18 PM

Would you like a story about "very short" skirts? When I taught in a small town in a western state (that shall be not named here), in 1966, serious consideration was made as to what constituted "too short" appropriate skirt length, and of course, teachers were expected to enforce any rules on this. As a single, young (was 34) business/typing/bookkeeping teacher (training future employees?) I was somewhat assigned this task...I let my views be known that it was up to the girls and their mothers to decide what they wore to classes including length of skirt. Somehow judgments insued about character, modesty, etc., once at PTA--too much talk ensued on this unimportant topic so I told the principal//superintendent I was going to act. One afternoon I drove to a larger town and bought a black mini-skirt (horrors--27 waist, four inches above the knee), black hose, white silky blouse (high neck, long sleeves) and wore this often in the community with black high heels. Kids loved it! The principal/supt. answer to those who talked about this said that if a teacher they knew and liked didn't judge people by attire, they would have to determine why they were. By the end of the year things calmed down, and some girls admitted that those mini-skirts were not easy to sit in! This was my social rebellion. (Also, I did not condemn the music choices the kids played in after school activities in my classroom. Remember when strong opinions abound against the younger people playing the music the Beatles were recording? Sounds rather tame now)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Frankly, I have used small blade rotary cutters to cut out tissue patterns, with the appropriate mat under the fabric and pattern pieces . I found that one may need to pin edges more closely than when using scissors, but it can be done . If I recall the history of the rotary cutter, it was intended for use by commercial cutting of multiple layers of fabric (cutting pieces for one size garment) and was taken up by quilters.