No Green Beans!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 06:40 PM

We also live in NE Wisconsin. This is a sad year for my garden. Green beans just started to blossom, but peppers & Tomatoes are in the same row and I have lots of tomatoes and early peppers on plants that are 6" tall & so are the peppers.
My peaches look bad, but pears are loaded. Pumpkins are just starting to bloom & small plants, it better not freeze till Christmas to get big pumpkins. Now all these garden items are next to my apple trees & grapes, and they are both loaded. so it can`t be lack ob bees, I think it was the long very hot days from May up to now. We had lots of rain, but some plants can`t take the heat.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Our beans didn't do much either and we live in Northern arizona. I usually can 7 to 14 quarts of beans, but today I canned 7 pints and froze 3 pints, Our garden just didn't do good at all. I hope I get enough tomatoes to make my Italian sause and my salsam plus a dozen quarts of just canned tomatoes.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM

I did that one year and I got 4 beans ! ha ha beat yeah.
]
Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM

We had a lot of green beans. Froze 6 or 7 gallon bags. Tomatoes are doing great. Made some salsa and am canning a dining room table top of them tomorrow. Lima beans are not doing so hot though.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
Maybe our neighboring farmer doesn't have the bee boxes for his sweet corn. I just assumed that because of the close proximity. Yesterday, he harvested a HUGE quantity of pickles from a nearby plot.

We have had about 6 zucchini (not large ones). I think that the ants are pollinating them.

Too late to start another crop here in Wisconsin. Not long after Labor Day, we usually have frost. Guess I'll have to visit the local farmer's market this year!

Our tomatoes are very slow to produce, and they are pretty hard. Not the juicy, lush babies I'm used to.

Sue
All corn pollen is carried by the wind.
Next time, try saving seeds from local farm market lush tomatoes Dry them on paper towels or copier paper.
Plant them in egg cartons filled with peatmoss mixed with dirt.
I sure wish you better luck next summer! J
Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Don't you just dread what is going to happen to food prices this winter and next year if the crops are doing poorly? There is a large DelMonte canning plant not too far from us. Wonder if they are getting veggies to can?

Maybe I ought to be looking for a job, not spending my time sewing and gardening!!

Sue
Old 08-13-2011, 04:44 PM

same thing here lots of blooms, planted squash, cucumbers, tomatoes and beans I've gotten four zucchini a hand full of beans and about six tomatoes I gave them plenty of fertilizer and water added some prayer. we did get quite a few cucumbers but gave most of those away
Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 PM

We have had lots of beans. Don't know what dear husband does, but it works.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by needles3thread
We need more bees to pollinate them.
Hundreds of bees are at my hummingbird feeders every day. Wish I could send them to you. They won't let the hummers in to feed. Never have had them like this before.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 AM
mim

I was thinking -- with the drought in the midwest and southwest -- the bees don't have anything to eat if everything is dieing. Our hummingbirds are bringing their babies to the feeders and it is funny to watch them learn what to do.