Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nook or Kindle? why and why not >

Nook or Kindle? why and why not

Nook or Kindle? why and why not

Old 01-17-2011, 09:19 AM

For those on limited budgets the kindle 3 is only $139.00. 20 paperbacks at $7. and it is paid for. So many free books, you don't have to buy any more.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter
Sorry, I'm from another generation, I guess. I love REAL books. The look of them, the feel of them in my hand, the smell. I love browsing bookstores, new and used. Especially love the musty, dusty smell of used book stores. I love sharing books I've read with others, and receiving theirs. I love pencil marking passages and phrases that impress me and noting any that others may have done. I love the look of books on shelves in my home and the comfort in knowing that I have read 99% of them. They are my friends. Nope, electronics just don't cut it.
Ah, we are kindred spirits! =sigh=

I love books too. This is one corner of the livingroom, with an entire 14 foot wall of bookcases. All filled. My love of books and fabric and quilts has exceeded my home's capacity.

I need to control how many "real" books come in here now.
The Kindle holds 3500 books . No matter how many books are in it, it still weighs less than a 9 ounces and takes up less room than a notebook.

Different strokes for different folks. But it's so satisfying to see how many readers there are on this board!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162367.jpe  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 AM

My kids got me a Kindle for Christmas and I love it. My favorite feature is all the different font sizes so I can actually see to read again. And the battery life is quite long if you turn off the wireless.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:17 AM

I haven't seen anyone refer to the Velocity Micro Cruz ereader. My daughter and I went shopping for comparison and we chose this one. She needed to be able t o read at night without the light on as it bothers her husband. I wanted to be able to do email and surf the net when traveling. This one fit both of us. It's in color and connected to Borders. I'm hoping I will be able to hook into my library and am going to a class this month. Light weight and can adjust the contrast also. On sale at Staples.com for $119. A real deal.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I downloaded the Kindle app on my iPod touch and I'm very happy with that. I need to download the Nook app to see how it works. The touch was the better option for me as I like that it does so many more things than just a reader. I take it everywhere...love, love, love it!
I am reading each response as I know so little about e-readers. What is app?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM

I have a Kindle and don't know how I lived without it. I am a bibliophile and it was that or open our house as a library. Amazon has everything I've ever looked for, plus I've even gotten a couple of quilting books for 99 cents with tips I'm tickled with and didn't have to pay top price for.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:03 AM

where can I go to learn more about these?. I have heard of them but have never seen one.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 AM

I got a Sony for Christmas, really like it. It has a built in bight.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Received a Kindle for christmas with the cover and the light and I love it. My husband must have loved it also, becuase his arrived in the mail last Monday. I've only downloaded my Church books so far, but my husband downloaded 22 golf books the first hour after he registered his kindle. he's so silent now, I have to go looking for him in the house. he has his nose in his Kindle. I like the 1 click method of purchase on Amazon.com.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Originally Posted by arimuse
Ah! I love the smell of books in the morning! I love books, paper, pens and pencils - I have so many books they are stacked in most rms of the house! (horders?!?) Most are reference type books, you name a catagory I have something. Im in the process of (wand ) scanning to get rid of a lot.
I want an ereader so bad, but cant figure out what to buy. I saw on a home shopping show this AM something called nextbook - very good price:@ 180$ and does what I want (I think) - The electronics show just happened in Las Vegas so Im waiting to see what the next gen in readers will be. (way back in the Dark Ages I worked for a co that did repair/maintenence on computers etc - in the 90s - and they sent reps to this trade show every yr. They came back w/ Dragon software the yr it came out - voice recognition to operate your word doc etc, very zoomy at the time and very expensive. Dragon is still around! but much cheaper now)
I also love audio books, theyre great on long trips, pop in a book and have it read to you makes the miles fly by. My SO has to travel @ 7 hrs each way when he comes and goes from work, once a month. His car only had a cd player and my books were cassettes, so I went to audible.com (I think thats the site) and you can plug in a voice headphone set and record what you read and download it on cds, so I made him a cd of poems and started reading a book for him about a person who sailed solo around the world in the 1800s. He really likes this idea. share t
I also love the smell and feel of books, and have forever. It's taken me some time to come to terms with an e-reader, but I read every day. I have plenty of books that I would never ever give up, but I also want to have books I can't afford to buy. When an out of print book I have been mooning over (PBs going for $45.!) came out in Kindle for 4.99. Something in me just said- ENOUGH! We resisted the iPod, because we're old, and it is the most amazing thing. So now, I want an eReader.
I worked for 20 years in a second-hand bookstore (pt) because I wanted to feed my addiction for books.... it worked and I was never happier than being in the store talking books and authors with customers. I agree, there definitely is something about holding the real book in my hands, along with the smell and feel... I always have at least 2 books going and there's always a pb or 2 in my pocketbook... just in case! Been thinking my next pt job will be in a quilt shop and that will feed one of my other addictions.