Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Nook or Kindle? why and why not >

Nook or Kindle? why and why not

Nook or Kindle? why and why not

Old 01-17-2011, 07:24 PM

DH got me a Nook Color for Christmas. I love it to pieces! I like that I can get books from the library to read, AND audio books. It also is Wifi enabled and I can also watch videos. At first he got me a reader that didn't have a backlight and I just couldn't see it well, except in bright light, so rather than get an external light, got the Nook Color. Now DH got the plain Nook, with 3G and wifi. Not color, not backlight, but he got a cool Nook book holder and then bought a light that fits right in with it.

I love this new toy and with the expandable memory can hold about 6000 books. We are going to New Zealand in February and it is definitely going along.

Go to several different places and try out the different ones available. It is definitely like sewing machines, each of us has our personal preferences and have different features we like. Good luck with whatever you get. Oh, by the way, on my path to the NookColor, I had a Cruz Tablet (there is a Cruz reader that is not a true touch screen) that is supposed to work with library books). Wouldn't recommend that unit...couldn't download library books and was basically told by tech support, that i would have to hack it to get it to do what it was advertised to do.

I have to add that I have a ton of books on my Nook already, and not purchased one of them!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Love, love love my Kindle. Best thing since sliced bread for all of the reasons already listed.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 PM

Neither, EVER!! I am a reading teacher and learning to read is a tactile experience. Early readers need to be able to develop a relationship with books to become reading fans. There have been recent studies that show electronic readers slow your reading time down and that effect comprehension as well. On a rainy day when I have a fire in the fireplace and a hot cup of tea curling up with a cozy electronic reader just doesn't cut it. In addition no book that I have ever experienced has run out of battery power, had to be recharged or broke it's screen.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
they really wouldn't be any use for me...I go thru about 4 books/week and get them on ebay, amazon, and from trading with friends. I have a friend that works at a resale shop and brings home loads of books...right now I ordered the 2011 Robyn Carr continuing Virgin River Series...just love them and they will be read by at least 3 friends when I am done.
My husband was just trying to talk me into a Kindle last night. . . I read at bedtime and did during the day.
But I love to actually have the feel of a real book in my hands, turning actual pages and after I am finished with them I send them to my 95 year old step-father who reads as much as I do.
Call me old fashioned..but give me an actual book - while they still print them!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
Neither, EVER!! I am a reading teacher and learning to read is a tactile experience. Early readers need to be able to develop a relationship with books to become reading fans. There have been recent studies that show electronic readers slow your reading time down and that effect comprehension as well. On a rainy day when I have a fire in the fireplace and a hot cup of tea curling up with a cozy electronic reader just doesn't cut it. In addition no book that I have ever experienced has run out of battery power, had to be recharged or broke it's screen.
Exactly! Didn't see your post until after posting mine. You have now given me the answer I have been unable to put into words before.
It falls into the same bracket as penmanship...children need to learn how to write properly, not graduate with the penmanship of a 3rd grader.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 AM

My dear husband gave me a Kindle for Christmas, and I LOVE it. I think there must be several thousand real books in this house and they take up a lot of room. We have three bookcases plus multiple piles on dressers and bins under beds. Dh and I are both readers so we have accumulated a lot of books. I still love the feel of reading a real book, but I hate picking up one that looks or sounds so good and then the print is so small. I know I need new glasses but still. Or they are so heavy. I read Under the Dome last fall and my goodness, I think that book was five pounds. There are several big books that I would like to read and even have, but packing them around is a pain. The first book I bought for my new Kindle was Pillars of the Earth. I started it a while back in a real book, but the print is small and the book is huge. So this will be so much easier.

Anna, I have heard exactly the opposite. The ereaders are making readers out of young kids that did not have an interest before. And that people in general read much more when they have an ereader. I don't know if it is true, but it kinda makes sense. My grandson is an avid reader. My daughter spends as much as fifty bucks, twice a month at B&N just to keep him in books. And that is not school books, it is just for pleasure books. Last time I visited him I bought him a book he wanted and with tax it was over twenty bucks. I had to forbade him to read it in the car, and as it was he still finished it before bedtime that night. I'm thinking an ereader might be a good investment for him. As long as he was not in control of the buying part anyway. I know he could go to the library and he does that too.

My sister in law wanted a Kindle after she saw mine and played with it a bit. But there was not one in CA to be found after Christmas. So she bought a Nook. It was very cool, but she could not use it. Apparently touch screens do not work with acrylic nails. Had no idea. So that might be something to consider.

I also had the Kindle app on my iphone and tried to read a few books, but way too small. I could only get a couple of paragraphs on the screen and my battery was not liking it either. Luckily the books I got on my iphone went straight to the Kindle, so that was good. Kindle has text to speech, or audio too, for some books, although I have not tried it yet. I have also not found any book that was not available for my Kindle. I have found many free ones through blogs or other bookstores and sure enough Amazon has them as well.

We talked to the guy at Best Buy when we were looking for a Kindle for my SIL about the other ereaders he had there that looked very cool and were cheaper. I forget the names of them. We asked him what the difference was. He told us that mostly they were just slower then a Kindle or Nook. What that means I am not sure. Maybe it was downloading time or the page turning time.

I do like the feature on my Kindle where I can just click a button and poof the book is there. I can shop on my Kindle or online. Loaning is available as well, but I am not sure how that works.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:07 AM

I bought my sister a Kindle for Christmas she has a sight problem and you are able to enlarge print for what ever size is readable, she loves it. She reads while waiting in the Dr.'s office.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 AM

Katia - After I read you post about your grandson reading so fast, I thought of my 11 year old grandson who is the same way. If you grandson had an ebook that could download library books and a library card, it would save a lot of money. I may think on that for a while for my grandson. Most librarys have the ebooks capability and their websites list the compatible devices. I know the Nook is, don't think the Kindle is, but I know that there are others that are compatible. Just a thought. The nice thing is that you don't have to waste gas to go to the library, and the books go back though cyber space when the loan period is up. audo books can be gotten also.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by Anna.425
Exactly! Didn't see your post until after posting mine. You have now given me the answer I have been unable to put into words before.
It falls into the same bracket as penmanship...children need to learn how to write properly, not graduate with the penmanship of a 3rd grader.
Thank you ladies! In addition, someone else here mentioned not having to "waste gas going to the library" or bookstore. Well, not getting out of the house means not interacting with others & practicing social skills. The next generation will really miss out on the total reading & learning experience if they rely only on an electronic reader. They may have their place, but I hope people will not give up entirely on real books.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 AM

I've had my Kindle for just over a year. I have almost 200 books in it alreay and I LOVE it! I've downloaded free books and newly released bestsellers by my favorite authors (like James Patterson). I can't comment on the other because I don't have it, but the Kindle has made me very happy :)