Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
I understand completely! I am looking for a new doctor. I went in last week because food is getting stuck painfully in my throat when I eat. I explained how this has been going on for 3 years, but it is getting worse and more frequent. The appointment was only 10mins? And the first 5 was spent re explaining (after telling the nurse in detail) to him that I didn't have strep throat or throat pain except when I ate something and it got stuck. Dang! What a waste of money.

I had the same problem. The doctor prescribed Prilosec and I haven't had any problems since. I take the generic on a daily basis. You might want to check with an ear, nose and throat doc first though.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:27 AM

Like everyone else I would suggest you find a new doctor. I am trained as a nurse and I don't get any more respect from some doctors than you feel you are getting from yours. I actually had a doctor write me up for a psyche exam once because I challenged his authority and told him he was not addressing the question that I asked and requested a thyroid screening. I had been taking thyroid meds all my life and he refused to write me a new script saying that I was just fat and didn't need them. He also told me he was the one with the medical license. When I found a new Dr. she laughed when she saw the write up for the psyche exam explaining that I wasn't the only "female" patient of his that had this request in their files. I do tend to feel that female Doctors are more responsive to females and female issues and I am simply more comfortable with them. The model used for training in the medical field is male. Female issues are less stressed and require extra training. More often than not any issues we might have weather related to female issues or not are written off as hormonal or psychological. That being said you are your own best advocate. If you aren't going to stick your neck out there and stand up for your self no one else will. Also, ask around and get references from others. I found a good Dr locally that is open to homeopathic options as I often have repercussions from synthetic medications. Ann in TN
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 AM

Get a new one. There are great Drs. out there that will listen. You may have to be persistent, but take charge of your health. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:37 AM

I have the opposite problem with my parent's MD. He listens intently but RARELY examines them. Just fires me. Two visits ago my dad went in with a UTI, while it was fairly obvious, dont you think he would pee in the bottle. Nope. Yesterday, he was having hayfever and dizziness, gave him Clarinex but never looked up his nose or in his ears.

BP, pulse, heart and lungs, get them the same amount of money as doing a little more so that's what they do.

When I went in for surgery last year, I got the most minimal exam. She took my pulse through my socks and barely touched my belly.

If you are looking for help with food allergies, a naturopath is the way to go.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:37 AM

I recently found a holistic doc and he is an MD. He is a gem! He listens and looks right at me when we talk, spends time with me, and then tries to find out how to get me healthy naturally! No meds. So happy to have found him. Did research on the internet for holistic docs in my area.

LindaKayCat
Old 10-15-2011, 07:07 AM

Find a new doctor. I have a wonderful one who spends time listening to me AND agrees on trying natural things whenever possible. Therefore when he does put me on a medication I trust he is doing it because that is the best alternative.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:08 AM

I think you should choose another Dr. Mine is always interested in what I have to say and what I feel is going on.............then he tells me his opinion and sometimes he agrees with me.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
Another thought (I work for a physician).....The general medical community gets unreasonably testy if a patient admits to searching on the internet for medical info. Really gets their hackles up. Okay to mention you've been doing some research on your own but best not to admit to Googling.
Good advice. :)
If a doctor has a problem with me researching things then I need another doctor. Any time a medicine is prescribed for me or even my dog I check it out before I take or give it. If a doctor says I have something I check that out too. My doctor kept blowing me off in GA just saying everything was from the surgery I had. If I hadn't "googled" the symptoms and found out I had all the symptoms of fibro and chronic fatigue I would still be thinking it was all in my head. I still need to find a doctor here. And since I have had aneurysm surgery twice he needs to at least read my chart. lol
Old 10-15-2011, 07:20 AM

i'm in agreement. you need to find a doc who will listen to you. at the risk of repeating what may have already been said (sorry--didn't read the whole thread) most physicians are now victim of the healthcare system they work in. if they are salaried by a "system", HMO, or any kind of group care, they are "allotted" about ten to fifteen minutes per patient in their schedules. that is the rule! (they are paid by the "piece", like the old factory workers were) the office help overschedule them to get patient numbers through, and to make up for those who are no-shows. after a while, the docs do get burned out. and it is my experience, after many, many years in health care/nursing/anesthesia that folks forget that 50% of all docs graduated in the BOTTOM half of their class. not every doc is stellar, just as not every nurse is top notch. DO shop to find the practitioner who will listen to you. DO push for referrals. DO be your own advocate, and your family's, as well. be as pro-active in your care as you can be. DO go with your list of questions, and if you have to talk over the doc to make your point, do it.

keep arguing for yourself, and don't give up when it comes to your health care. it may never change for the better--but we, as consumers, can be heard, at the very least. at the best--we might help create some change...
Old 10-15-2011, 07:29 AM

find a NEW doc perhaps a DO vs an MD..... im going to try NOT to jump on my soap box & just get 2 the point =0)
Docs r NOT taught how to fix ANYTHING they r taught to give u a drug they do not know what to do generally with someone who wants to partner with them in their health or an educated customer. they r TAUGHT to be the god who passes out drugs 2 yrs in med school is learning to dispense drugs nutrition education is OPTIONAL. the drug companies fun many fund medical schools. truly this is ALLLLLL docs know how to pass out drugs & ur sensitivity frustrates him HIGHLY. good luck in ur search this is y i wont go to a doc other then an emergency. furthermore u must remember this is in part y they call it PRACTICING MEDICINE.....