Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Interview and find a new doctor. My significant other is a Family Practice Physician and I know that there are doctors that listen.
I don't know your physical condition, but please try to keep yourself healthy - eat the right foods and exercise!
Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
Another thought (I work for a physician).....The general medical community gets unreasonably testy if a patient admits to searching on the internet for medical info. Really gets their hackles up. Okay to mention you've been doing some research on your own but best not to admit to Googling.
Sorry, I just can't NOT comment to this. If you are seeing a doctor who is intimidated because you look something up on the internet, you may be dealing with a doctor who would prefer you stay "uninformed" about your own health. That way, he continues to seem to be a god to you, and you "swallow" everything he says....hook, line, and sinker. The internet is a wealth of information, and like the encyclopedia's of the past, can and does have some really good information on it. But like all information, you need to do thorough research. One time, I had a serious problem with depleting platelets, did some research, went to the doc, sat down and told him what I had. He said, "What, without a blood test?" I said, "Yep, I know I'm right, but let's do a blood test to confirm." As a result of my informed information and research, done on the internet, my doctor was able to move quickly on a diagnoses as it pointed him a direction to begin testing.....and in the end, in the middle of the night, after the lab called my doc at home with my test results, and he then called my home and woke me up, I was rushed to the hospital......and my life was spared....because the hospital didn't have to spend days trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

And all this because I took the time, while waiting for an appointment, to do some research....ON THE INTERNET. If a doctor is so full of himself that he can't listen to me...when this is about my body....forget him. I will take my business elsewhere. I am an intelligent, thinking woman....and won't be told otherwise by a doctor that refuses to listen to me.

In addition, this same doctor that I told him what I had, also told me years ago....."Medicine is 97% guess work and 3% knowledge." If you're a good guesser, you would probably make a good doctor....if you could handle the hours and pressure!!

My husband always reminds me that half the doctors out there, graduated in the bottom half of their classes.....something to keep in mind next time you are face to face with one.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:03 AM

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Kaykwiltz good for you! In THIS day and age we have to take more than responsibility exploring and educating ourselves. Here is an example of what happened to my mother nearly 15 years ago. She was complaining of her eyes getting so crusty that she would have to wash them several times a day. They even stuck together at night. She was always drinking water because of her thirst. When she went to the doctor, they told her to drink more but they sai it was all a part of growing older.

After months of this, my niece did some research on the internet of all the symptoms Mom had. It came up with Sjogrens Disease. Mom took that diagnosis to the doctor and he said "huh - that must be it" After HIS research, the diagnosis was confirmed. - Like I said we all have to do our research
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 AM

Kick him to the curb and get a new one. You're paying him to take care of you so he should listen! You could always call to tell him how frustrating it is when you see him as you don't even get to review all of your issues. I always take a list of my issues to my visits. I've only had one ever who seemed a little rushed, but he's typically not like that.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I think your concerns are totally valid. I also think you need to find a new doctor. Is this guy an allergist? If not, I'd be for finding one.

While doctors aren't there to tell us what we want to hear, but instead to diagose and treat, they still need to listen to their patients. What good does it do to write scripts for a patient that won't take the medication anyway?

i agree. i have been working with doctors for many years now, and they are all different from one another and if he does not listen to you please look for another doctor that will. You pay him to listen to you and to help you solve your problems. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:10 PM

When my DH would have to go to the Dr (which was alot) I'd write out a list of the things that he wanted to talk to the Dr about. First on the list was refills that he needed. Second was the things that he wanted to talk about. He would hand it to the Dr right after they shook hands. The Dr would go down the list. He rarely veared off it this way.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:09 AM

Please if you find an answer, please share it.
I have the same problem here, to me he seems to be saying, hey your on your last legs, what do you expect.
I really do get so upset.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 AM

Pippa45
I HIGHLY recommend you getting another doc too. That is downright rude of your doc. I think anyone who has a doc like this needs to remind him who is buttering his bread!.....ugh
Kathy