Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 PM
QM
Power Poster

I think the problem with docs who don't listen is pandemic. Very few do. I am disabled because it took me 30 years and a huge number of docs to find one who took me seriously about my broken ankle, with the result that a minor break became a destroyed ankle joint and resulting damage to knee and hip.
When I was attacked on the street and broke my wrist since I decided NOT to kill the attacker with my karate chop, the doc told his assistant (in my hearing) that it was not broken, but he would have it Xrayed to placate me. I pointed out the break he had missed on the Xray. Years later, he appologized and said he used the story in training new docs.
Much later yet, it took 7 Xray sets and 5 docs to find my rebroken wrist (leg gave out, fell down stairs).
The only reason my ankle was finally diagnosed correctly is because my DH went in with me and looked mean so the correct place was Xrayed.
I don't like my current doc but we understand each other and he reads what I give him. He is very competant, once he has the correct info.
Changing docs or not is often a tricky issue. Sometimes it's easier to retrain the one you have. Mine knows I'll research my symptoms and his diagnosis. He knows I won't take anything that will make my total situation worse. (I react badly to almost all pain or sleeping pills.)

Unfortunately MOST male docs still have heavy gender biases.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I feel your pain. My doctor has cancled 2 out of three of my recent appts. "he won't be coming in to the office today" was what the receptionist said when she called me. yep. time for a new dr. lots of folks coming out with a medical degree every yr. gonna find one that comes to work and listens to MY concerns.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:07 PM

My first instinct tells me you maybe seeing a Dr. through a HMO insurance plan. Just by the Dr's speal of his agenda for your care. Have your routine annual tests that the plan pays for and take the meds period. If this is not a n HMO and you have PPO where you can choose any Dr. then do so immediately. At HMO's you can only present with one issue in 15 min. visits unless you book your appoint as an extended appointment 30 minutes you are restricted to just 15 min. Then if you are required to get a referral to an allergist you may do so. I learned all these tricks the hard way being with Medicare HMO and having to learn all the in's and out's to get the most out my HMO coverage. It sounds like you maybe in the same situation. If not then I would call the customer service number on your medical card and discuss the issue of changing Primary Care Dr.'s, it's allowed and your right to do. Simply explain the current Dr. isn't interested in working with you regarding your health issues. Best of luck with your future health care.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 PM

I really am not trying to be a wet blanket here, but finding a new Dr may be easier said than done depending on where you are in the USA.
Like having a LQS, there may not be other choices out there for some without driving farther away from home.
Then there is the limitations that insurance places on who, when, where, and what you get to do.

I have a Dr that doesn't seem to take me seriously. I am an RN and give him statistics, symptoms, and history of what the problem is. What I have been able to learn on my own regarding food or madications that go with the problem, I tell him.
He is so wrapped up in that darn computer screen in front of him, that i get a half glance once in a while.
Like you have medication and food allergies, ao taking new stuff is not my forte. Last winter when i had a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder, I had to go to the Orthopedic on my own and ask for help. I had tried to tell my Dr about the problem and he laughed it off. I had even been to the ER for possible heart attack, since the pain was in my left arm, shoulder and radiated across my chest.
Thank goodness it was not a heart problem. But he made a durogatory comment that it wasn't my heart, I was just out of shape.
The last time I was there, i said very little until he looked at me. If I had to sit there for the day to get that I was willing to do so. I did not answer his questions until he looked away from that computer.
Sorry this is so long, but it is a touchy subject that seems to be getting worse. We are not machines, we are human. we should be treated with respect.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:45 PM

Or....to be really proactive, lol....you could do what I suggested to my mother who had a doctor who would run in and run out....I said she should whisper until he got close enough until she could grab him by the .......you get the idea. Then, she would have his full attention until she let go.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:04 PM

1. get a personal copy of all your medical records including lab work and other procedures.
2. Find another dr. and you inter view him and his staff before your first appointment.
3. do your homework. with the internet, it is easier now than ever to look at your symptoms, and get a possible diagnosis so you have some idea of what you may have. don't tell the doctor. Ask him to run tests for your symptoms.... then compare notes..
good luck and prayers that you will find a compassionate dr.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 PM

ROFL I like this approach!
Originally Posted by auniqueview
Or....to be really proactive, lol....you could do what I suggested to my mother who had a doctor who would run in and run out....I said she should whisper until he got close enough until she could grab him by the .......you get the idea. Then, she would have his full attention until she let go.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 PM

I got tired of the doctors down here, because they don't listen, as a rule. You live in Florida, they act like "Hey, you're old, deal with it." Well, I'm not that old, and I come from ancestors who lived to be 90 when 40 was considered ancient. SO I plan to be around a long long time.

I had to fire a few doctors down here, and have really learned to get tough with them. For centuries, we have been taught to respect doctors as great healers. Well fine, if they actually do their jobs. But the nurses and p.a.s do a better job than most of the docs down here do these days. I have a neurologist who took the time to listen to me when I said MY NECK HURTS. I kept saying that to the orthopedic, guy they kept sending me to, Mr. I AM GOD, WORSHIP ME, who couldn't be bothered. Of course, it couldn't be a neck problem, because I fell on my butt, and hit my ARM on the way down. Well, guess who had A BROKEN NECK, and two torn up rotators cuffs? I worship my neurologist instead, who does not expect that treatment, and is a sweet man who listens....thank GOD.

Ask people who they see, and what they think of their doctors. Ask people in the medical fields, if you can. Nurses have NO ILLUSIONS about doctors, believe me, lol. And check online to see if the doc you are thinking about seeing has any complaints against them. I did find that the doctors at the cancer clinic down here had complaints. BTW, they did not treat me for the cancer. I had WONDERFUL doctors up at Washington University in St. Louis, had my surgery there, but because my dh had a blood clot after flying back down here, I finished my herceptin down here, and by keeping in touch with my docs up there, knew exactly what I needed and what I didn't. The people here and I went around and around more than once. LIke I said in an earlier post, I caught them in fraud. And I was NOT NICE about it.

You need to really let this doctor know you are displeased. I like the idea of sending a letter,...maybe that will wake him up, just for starters. But don't let him treat you like this. You deserve so much more.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 PM

Only thing I think you need to do is find another doctor.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 PM

there is no reason you should leave a doctors office and not have your questions answered, i had a doctor like this before and thought well he must be a busy person and doesnt have time to answer and explain, well that didnt meet my standards of a doctor, so i switched and the doctor i have now will answer all my questions till i understand the reason behind the answer, now when i go into see him he says did you bring your list of questions!! i feel better knowing this doctor takes time to make sure i know what is going on