Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by desertrose
My first instinct tells me you maybe seeing a Dr. through a HMO insurance plan. . . . At HMO's you can only present with one issue in 15 min. visits unless you book your appoint as an extended appointment 30 minutes you are restricted to just 15 min. Then if you are required to get a referral to an allergist you may do so.
HMOs are not all bad. I'm a Kaiser patient - they are one of the largest HMOs in the business. They have excellent care most of the time. It's my understanding that the doctors get paid "X" number of dollars per year - 1,000 patients or 10,000 patients, they only get "X" number of dollars. When I go in for an appointment there is no time limit on how long I see the doctor or how many things I can discuss. He listens carefully, takes good notes, and has my records available (Kaiser is totally digital with all records - tests, x-rays, CTscans, etc.) immediately. If I have something I want an answer to quickly, I email him with my query and I always get an answer back by the next day at the latest.

In the years I've been with Kaiser I've had two doctors who didn't listen. I requested and was immediately reassigned to other physicians. I now refer to the doctor who diagnosed me with acid reflux (it was lung cancer) as "that idiot doctor". My present doctor said he hopes I don't refer to him that way. I told him that as long as he never misdiagnoses me that badly he's got nothing to worry about. He's a nice guy and listens to me when I come in, however long it takes. Frankly, he emails me and bugs me more about my cholesterol and diabetes than I really appreciate, but he's doing his job and I really, really should follow his directions.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Power Poster

Find a new Dr!! I have a wonderful one.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:34 PM

My dad is a doctor, I worked in hospitals to put myself through college so I have quite a bit of experience with the medical community. I think the issue is two fold, 1) very few people take responsibility for their own health care, and 2) Lots of people still see doctors as some sort of god.

My attitude about doctors is that it is their job to give me the very best education that they can about whatever is wrong with me, give me their best advice and then understand that I am going to make my own decision based on what I think is right for me. I hate it when doctors make decisions for patients and then they don't have to stick around to deal with the consequences.

This is my life and my decision, that makes it my responsibility. If a doctor is not listening to me I tell them that is my impression. If I know that something is wrong and they don't take me seriously I find another doctor. I also practice alternative care strategies because there are just some things that western medicine doesn't understand.

Here is my approach. Upfront and directly I tell a doctor what I expect and ask them if they can live with that. I pull no punches and don't take any crap, EVER!!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueviewWHERE?....[/quote

You live in Missouri. I have the answer. Washington University hospital.
Do you mean Barnes Jewish in St Louis??
Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 AM

Find a new doctor that will take the time to listen to you. My doctor is a gem, he always listen to me when I come to see him. I do not go to the doctor that often, but when I do he knows there must be a problem.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:30 AM

" I think I have a food allergy as well, but can't pin it down. What else would cause numb/tingling lips for almost 2 weeks now?"
Lots of things cause numbness in the lips...
http://www.healthhype.com/causes-of-...numb-lips.html
Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 AM

Some Doctors have their own agenda. Find one that is interested in treating you with care and respect.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Originally Posted by auniqueviewWHERE?....[/quote

You live in Missouri. I have the answer. Washington University hospital.
Do you mean Barnes Jewish in St Louis??
Yes.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I think they charge by the question. so he should listen.
but since i started being on Medicare, my doctor tends to let me have one question. then his ears close up and he types in his computer. shame.
I just read the info on itching/hives. thanks.
i had three bad breakouts in hives, from the top of my forehead to almost my waist. tingling lips about three times too but not with the hives. Cortizone 10 creme and 1/2 of an allergy pill helped.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 AM

My strong suggestion is to find another doctor that will listen to you. You should always be #1 when you go to a doctor.
Good luck,
Alice