Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:20 PM

I agree, funny thing with my doctor, I took a prescrip. for two months that was double in error from the pharm. and showed him and no concerns, I was. It was 80mg. and should have only been 40mg. of sivastantin for high cholestrol. Was to be 40 for my high bld. press. and 40 for the cholestrol. Well, as it was they screwed up and I was taking it without looking at pill. Cause they said it was changed so did not ck. Well, I am here to tell u I told the dr. since I had not had my bld. press. med. in two months due to taking double of other, bld. press. was good, I think I can go off it, dont u....ugh......so I went off my blood press. med. and it has been great and not even high.....can u imagine that one. So taking the 40 only for cholesterol now.....I am 64 and do not need errors like this for sure......
Old 10-14-2011, 07:24 PM

There are doctors who listen but you have to take the initiative to find the right one for you. You won't change the one you are going to - so it's time to get a new one. Then it won't be difficult to be heard because you'll be talking to the right person. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 AM

Go to a different one.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:10 AM

I have a great relationship with my dr. He does listen. You do need another dr. and you need to let your current dr. know why you are changing. He could be stressed... with all the new regulations coming down the pike he could be stressed... I wonder though..since he is always not listening. Time for a new dr in my opinion. Good luck.. nothing is more important now than your health. Good Luck. Don't wait make your move now.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:13 AM

Food allergies is specialized so I'd try to find a Dr. who specializes in that. My Dr. is wonderful but my biggest problem is my skin and she doesn't discuss it with me. I go to a dermatologist. I think she just doesn't know enough about skin problems to be helpful.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:20 AM

I quit using an MD and now use a Physician's Assistant, a woman in her 30's. She always has the time to really listen to me, which has never happened with a doc before. And I echo whoever said that women medical professionals take more time with you; I've found that to be true too.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:22 AM

This confirms what I just did. I'm new to the area and trying to find a gastrotentrologist. First interview he said I may not need another colonoscopy for ten years even tho my mom died of colon cancer. I'm 68. Mom died at 74. That means wait until I'm 78? Decided I didn't want to argue with him, and I would find another dr. BUT there aren't too many other choices in this area. Checked another dr credentials and there was no education information. Supposedly patient has to stay with referred dr. Waiting on answer from possible new dr. Thankfully Mayo Clinic is only two hours away.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:23 AM

I would change doctors. I have had my throat stretched for the same thing. It helped. I also have a diverticula (small pouch) in my esophagus which food gets stuck in sometimes. When I was told I had this, I said, oh so when it feels like food is stuck in my throat it really is? and doctor replied yes. The found this out with an upper GI I believe. But my doctor listens to me, and we discuss medications if any etc. Good Luck.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:40 AM

Hubby & I are in medical fields, and agree - find a different primary care provider, then get a referral to GI medicine. Sounds as though you may be having esophageal spasms. The correct medicine can certainly help, but too many, and incorrect meds can harm the overall you. Patient directed care is questioned by many care providers because they feel their patients are diagnosing their problems via internet web sites and coffee break doctors. Although good to be informed, this sometimes plants additional ideas in the heads of some people, and makes accurate diagnosis difficult for the care provider.

What I find useful is a typed sheet with a list of allergies, current medications, medical and surgical history, and a problem list. When I see the care provider, I pull out my sheet, and jump in with my biggest problem. Because the systems are all linked, sometime, a minor problem will provide clues to the big picture. The care provider will often ask if they can make a copy of my list.

Another tactic is to offer a question, rather than to tell what you want. (Do we need to consider a barium swallow?) (In your case, this would be one of my diagnostic tools.)

When seeking a new care provider, look them up in the internet. Read their credentials and backgrounds, see which hospitals they use for their patients. This information may help you select a good match. It also won't hurt to tell the provider why you selected them. Choose wisely Grasshopper, and good luck.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:54 AM

This use to happen to me. I would end up leaving with no answers, it was like he had 15 minutes with me and he had to move one.

So, I make a list of questions, one time I even had the doctor take the list from me and go through it one item at a time. And I got my answers.

You have to stand your ground, you pay for the visit, so don't let them push you through the system, just because they are only allowed so much time with each patient.

Or look for a new doctor.