Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-15-2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches
Another thought (I work for a physician).....The general medical community gets unreasonably testy if a patient admits to searching on the internet for medical info. Really gets their hackles up. Okay to mention you've been doing some research on your own but best not to admit to Googling.
I would go along with this. In my experience (I work with doctors on a daily basis), and in the defense of the doctors, they are immediately put on the defensive when a patient comes in and insists they have a particular illness and that the doctor must prescribe a particular medication because that is the only thing that will work. You would be shocked at how many people actually do that!! Also, many doctors do much more than they really have to during these exams because they are afraid of being sued. I'm not saying there aren't bad doctors out there, but there are far more good than bad.

As for the OP, definitely fire your doctor!! You wouldn't put up with that treatment from a friend or family member, why would you put up with it from an employee (yes, the doctor works for you!!)? Do you know any nurses? Ask a nurse who they would go see, and you'll probably find a good physician.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Ditto!!!!!! Good advice!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:07 AM

Good Luck in finding another doctor! I thought that problem only existed HERE. It seems like those who "practice" medicine have a prescription pad glued to their person and their ears are closed. Our doctors here are allowed 15 minutes per patient, so cannot address my questions even I speak really really fast. One I had gone to a while back spent the first 10 minutes talking about the publications he hs written, and I was wondering if the appointment was for THAT or for my health issues.....prescriptions and tests - that is what they do now - unfortunately.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:08 AM

I think you need to find a new doctor, this one is not a good fit for you. You should leave with all your questions answered.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:10 AM

Yep - find another. Mine used to tell me all the time that I was old and that was the reason for a pain; also when I said I was tired, the answer was "you keep saying that". Duh !!!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:21 AM

Doctors have only been taught in medical school about pharmacology - that's all they know! As others have mentioned, I think I'd first search out a new doctor - you obviously aren't getting what you need with this one.
I went to the allergist my doctor recommended, but after a few visits decided to try another. What a difference! Had to go through testing again, but a whole other outcome, and major differences in treatments. You'd be amazed. I'd start looking elsewhere first....
Old 10-15-2011, 04:22 AM

Fire that doctor!!! Yes you can do that, I have and trust me it feels so good. I have yet to find a regular doctor to go to but there is a walk in clinic near by that takes my insurance and I do like him, he LISTENS to me. I have had breast cancer twice and when I went to my "fired" doctor to set up an off time mamo she just was complaining about my cholesterol being high, well duh! I can't count the times I told her when I am on cholesterol meds it spikes high! It was about 20 minutes into the visit telling me I need to do this or that to lower those numbers I asked her " What about that script for a momo? Don't really give a crap what my blood work was!" Ok didn't say crap either, it was worse.
But FIRE that Doctor
Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 AM

Don't want to sound sexist here, but I tend to think that a female physician listens and understands more with female patients.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 AM

if he's giving you a script for a new med every time you go in ...it's time to find a new doctor.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 AM

Well, I went 18 months with an ankle injury and with no insurance it was difficult to get help - finally was sent to orthopedic office and I flat out said "I'm NOT leaving until someone listens to ME!" They did - its fixed.

Side note - I have dealt with funky allergies for about 14 years - food, environmental, and chemical - glad to help if I can.