Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen? >

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Not Complaining - Why Don't Doctors Listen?

Old 10-15-2011, 02:44 PM

We all really know this - but I have to say it....tighten up your belt and hold on because it will be getting worse. Find a new and better doctor??? Like.....WHERE?....
Old 10-15-2011, 02:52 PM

I changed Drs. He never listened to me and I got tired of it. So, I'm a senior citizen--I am not "out of it" yet and I resent not being taken seriously.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 PM

I had awful time with docs until I started going to an internist. I interviewed him when I wasn't in dire need. I went to a medical social worker before I saw him to help me prepare for interviewing new docs. Made a big difference in the process. I helped my neighbor hook up with a doc. She was very phobic but needed a primary. She struggled with the docs and I helped her bring in an advocate. That ended up very well. In Minn. we can call 211 and talk to someone who will help us figure out who can best help solve the problem. Stepping back helped me get better care. Just a thought.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:25 PM

I would go in with a list of my questions. And explain that after he/she listen to my full list of complaints I would be happy to have him give his diganosis.First of all if a Dr.only allows you 15 minutes for an office call he/she is overbooking appointments. I have a Dr. Who take his time with me. He also works with my MS Dr. He sometimes will tell me yes I think you need to have that shot for shingles but first check with your neurolgist. He also will order test to see if he can find the solution to my complaints.First you must have trust in the Dr. and have good open communications or you are in the wrong Dr.'s office. Maybe just asking a close friend who they use for their Dr. might be a good place to start. I always say if you have faith in the Vet down the street then that is who you should go to. Good Luck
Old 10-15-2011, 04:59 PM

After reading the many comments on this thread, I am feeling SO FORTUNATE. I just have to shout out on my PCP's behalf. He has told me I can stop in anytime, without an appt. if I really need to. He has made time for me after hours. Hearing my voice over the phone he realized something was not right with me because I didn't sound the same. Turned out I needed a Pacemaker .... then three months later we found out I had breast cancer that had spread to lymph nodes ... but no cancer in the breast (???).

He was shocked. He, the breast surgeon and I were totally shocked when 34 malignant nodes were removed. I've been having mammograms regularly for the last 23 years ! But the biggest shock ... and thank goodness for this one .... PET and CAT scans revealed the cancer had spread no further. What a miracle.

Can't say enough positive things about my medical team. Just had to add some "feel good" information :)
Old 10-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Funny you should bring this up. I got a bill today from a doctor who I haven't seen since Aug 2010. I fired him. He and his associate are incompetent and irresponsible, and they run a cancer practice. He even told me if I did not do every thing he told me to I WOULD DIE. Well, he was telling me to get a lot of needless, expensive tests that were a repeat of things I had already had done at an excellent hospital in St. Louis. And this group had screwed up my records, including two operations I did not have, including an appendectomy. I have the scan to show that cute little organ right where it belongs.

Now, not only did I refuse some of their tests, but I had the gall to report them for fraud to my insurance company when they charged them for these very same tests. Gee, what a B**ch I am, huh? And I told them in person why I was never going to see any of them again. Just imagine what an interesting conversation this is going to be on Monday, lol.

FIRE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!! He does not deserve to take your money to mistreat you, and you do not deserve to be treated like this. And tell his receptionist or Pa, if he has one, why.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
We all really know this - but I have to say it....tighten up your belt and hold on because it will be getting worse. Find a new and better doctor??? Like.....WHERE?....
You live in Missouri. I have the answer. Washington University hospital.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Turn up your speakers: RUN, don't walk to a new doctor, one who WILL listen to you. A wise doctor recognizes that a patient knows herself better than anyone else. And remember, doctors no longer cure causes (many of them don't even consider it)... they just address symptoms, and with ever-more expensive and dangerous drugs.

This doctor needs to air his agenda on his own time! I wonder where his Big Pharma-paid vacations have been to lately?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:56 PM

You need a new doctor. Their job is to listen to you in order to give you a proper diagnosis. Enough said! I believe we are our best advocates.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM

I have one thing to say''FIND A NEW DOCTOR--FAST" You go to the Dr because you have a problem and if he can't listen, then run for a new one. Why waste your time?