Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-02-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I need help lowering my cholesterol.
My numbers are up and I can't take statin drugs.

What are natural ways to lower cholesterol? I already eat Omega3s and whole grains daily...
MJ, once you get the green light for exercise, that helps. Also a diet lower in Sat Fats - which you are probably already doing.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
I haven't been good about taking notes. Who is it that is doing the 17 day diet?
That would be me. I lost 40# on the first round that I started end of April...quit mid-July, started again Oct 1. I have 20# left to lose.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 AM

I'm signing up for October!!! Thank you!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
MJ, Red Rice Yeast and niacin. My doctor and I have fought over my cholestrol. That's the magic formula for me, plus I used to use oat bran mixed in my oatmeal. His contribution when I refused meds, "Don't eat anything that would stain a napkin." Makes sense when you think about it, but it's not as easy as it sounds. Natural apple cider vinegar like Bragg's is supposed to help, but the acid bothers my hiatal hernia, so I can't speak to that one.
That would mean no berries. I read once-upon-a-time that a cup of blueberries daily was as effective as statins.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:39 AM

I appreciate all your suggestions.

Some I can't do (blueberries) because of the coumadin.
I won't ever be able to exercise again due to the PH.

I will try the niacin after I discuss with my doc, don't know what will interfere with current meds...and conditions...

I eat oatmeal every morning now. Or cheerios.

I can't drink alcohol for a number of reasons.

Thanks though for the ideas. I will run them by my doc. I truly think this is a stupid point given my prognosis. I think doctors don't put the whole picture together when they say this kind of stuff.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 AM

count me in, I am ready to lose a few, and what a fun way to do it!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Lynne, I didn't make that very clear. :oops: He meant fried foods, etc. It really is a good visual. Put a French fry on a napkin. If it leaves a grease spot, do you really want to eat it? My occasional slip - a double hamburger from Culver's. You can't pat that with a napkin for some time and there's no hope. You can have your blueberries. I wished I liked them.
Faygo carbonated water has no sugars, no sodium and no chemicals. It's not bad with concentrated cherry juice in it. Satisfies a need for cold and carbonated, at least partially. I'm drinking it right now.

MJ, nothing is set in stone as long as you're on this side of the daisies. You don't want to go through all You've gone through and then have a blob of cholesterol cause a problem. You will exercise again, even if it's only to cruise around your back yard looking at your flowers. BTW, we had another freeze last night and the roses and most of the perennials are hanging on. I haven't been out to see if I lost any annuals.

I'm expecting my middle daughter back to try to get me to go to the after hours clinic. I never have and will not today. They'll ask too many questions I don't feel like answering.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 AM

Irish,
I see your point.

I get tired of the one million questionnaires also.

Take care of you.

Welcome New Member! We are happy to see you!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Welcome to everyone. Pop in here and share anything you'd like.

Pam, it looks like you've been elected to start the 'taboo' food. Are you willing? Do you have something in mind?

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 AM

I like the idea about posting at least once a week, I don't always think I have much to add but I can certainly post that often.

My goals for this month are:
1. I will buy a scale. I was using the one in the restroom where I worked. Since I have been downsized I can't weigh myself there anymore.

2. I am going to buy myself a pair of walking shoes that are comfortable, no matter what I have to spend. Cheap shoes that are uncomfortable after a mile are NOT a bargain. Unfortunately this goal will have to wait another week or so cuz I mangled a toe AGAIN.

3. I have already cut back on my Pepsi to only one 20 oz bottle a day, and I am not ready to give up my last treat quite yet. I will however switch over to the little bottles and hopefully that will be enough.

4. I will drink more water. Why is this one so difficult for me????

I am not adding an exercise goal until I can put weight back on my right foot, I am unstable enough with two working feet.