Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Hey guys!! I am here! Congrats to September's biggest loser!! Yay for you!

I have not been getting emails and so I am hoping that this no-email thing is over for me.

I am doing great but am experiencing a lot more stress the last few days and will for a few more days to come. Not a happy Missy time.

My weight is going down down down. I am not going to weigh again until next Friday when I do I will post the latest numbers.

For those that do not know me I am Missy and I am here to support yall. I have had weight loss surgery and do not feel that it would be fair to be in the running for the FQs so I will do what I can which is try and support yall.

You guys hang in there and know I am thinking about you and wishing you guys the best for this month. BIG HUGS!!

Missy
Wondering where you were. Congrats on your hard work.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Lynne, I wanted a Coke so bad when I was shopping and I was 'blaming' you. I picked one up, saw the second ingredient after water was high fructose corn syrup and put it back. Then I put back the frozen yogurt I'd picked up to make a Coke float.
Hey, Pam, here's a good first taboo - High Fructose Corn Syrup as an ingredient. Not a healthy food and in so much of what's available out there.
You go right ahead and blame me sweetie. My shoulders are broad. But YOU get the credit for making the good choice!

I know I wrote in an earlier month about HFCS (51% fructose/49% glucose) and my cholesterol, but when I quit drinking ALL soda, my blood lipid levels became textbook wonderful. I had read of an interesting study done by Harvard that proved HFCS settles as fat in the abdomen/gut, whereas pure sugar (glucose) does not. It would seem that HFCS gives everyone a 'beer gut'. How appealing. This stuff is poisonous.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:42 AM

I need help lowering my cholesterol.
My numbers are up and I can't take statin drugs.

What are natural ways to lower cholesterol? I already eat Omega3s and whole grains daily...
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
The flu has returned with a vengeance. It's very sad to me to have to skip my son's birthday party. He is too attached to me and isn't going to a happy camper for a few minutes. Luckily, he's intelligent and resilient, so he will get over it quickly.

Anyone have any idea what I can take for the pain in my intestines and my stomach? Morphine on an empty stomach doesn't sound like a good idea. I have Pepto Bismo and maybe some Pepcid leftover from having a ill dog. I have aspirin, Tylenol and Aleve, too. Sorry about the whining. J

nancia, plenty of open space for a sleeping bag. My living room is large and it's one room I do not allow to get untidy, though it has a lot of furniture since the vintage machine bug hit.
Judy, hate to hear that you are so ill. I pray it is short lived and that you get that pain relief real soon.

It doesn't sound like whining to me.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
Morning Ladies! Jeanne, I think you hit the nail on the head with the quote One Day at A Time!!!! Some days I think it's 1 hour at a time!

I like the idea of a forbidden food too. If no one else wants to do it, I will. Always looking for a way to help out but y'all run a wonderfully smooth thread here.

Now for some FUN news. I went to a quilters garage sale at my LQS. It was customers destashing & it was a dream come true for me. I got a Jasmine oak quilt hoop with stand for $25 (retails for $475!!!) 5" ginhger snips, a little quiling Boyds bear, needles, 1 3/4 of batik layer cakes and.......69 YARDS of fabric!!!! the total was under $100. I have been washing , ironing & ruler folding for 2 days with a HUGE grin on my face.

What a steal!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Howdy yall! I am getting ready to leave the hotel and head back home to South Dakota. My mom played in the big tournament until well after 3 am. She busted out at that time. So, no million dollars for us. Oh well. She had fun nonetheless.

Thank you for all the sweet messages to me. I so love this group of people! You guys are the best!!

Missy
Safe journey.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem

What are natural ways to lower cholesterol? I already eat Omega3s and whole grains daily...
Have a bowl of old fashion oatmeal every morning...not instant; that works for my hubby.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem

Here's something my acupuncturist told me about (I guess she assumed I had high cholesterol) (I don't):
Finely chop a red onion. Put in a covered container. Add enough dry red wine (not sweet!) to cover onions. Let sit in your fridge. After 1 week it is ready. Drink 1-2 oz with your dinner every evening.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 AM

I haven't been good about taking notes. Who is it that is doing the 17 day diet?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM

MJ, Red Rice Yeast and niacin. My doctor and I have fought over my cholesterol. That's the magic formula for me, plus I used to use oat bran mixed in my oatmeal. His contribution when I refused meds, "Don't eat anything that would stain a napkin." Makes sense when you think about it, but it's not as easy as it sounds. Natural apple cider vinegar like Bragg's is supposed to help, but the acid bothers my hiatal hernia, so I can't speak to that one.