Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
Missy I just took a class on those darn half square triangles and finally learned the math formula for them. Also have you heard of or used the thangles?
I have a great chart that tells you what size to cut for what size finished half square triangle you want to end up with. Do you have a fax?
No I have never heard of thangles before. I will have to look that up. Unfortunately I do not have a fax. :( That class sounds like something I should take!

Missy
Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 AM

That's wonderful news, Cindy. None of us ever want cancer, but if it has to be, that's the kind to have - no chemo or radiation. I'm sorry you are having so much pain. I've only had one soft issue surgery almost 50 years ago and when I had to stand up the first time, I said never again. So far, so good. Lots of orthopedic, but that's way different.

I baked a pineapple upside down cake today. It looked and smelled so good. I'm glad my daughter has picked it up.

Missy, the tutorial Pam H linked was very good.Things that help - fine sandpaper on a clipboard (or paper-clipped to a piece of cardboard) keeps the fabrics from slipping when you draw your lines. A blue plastic Quick Quarter II makes short work of drawing the lines. The key is making the blocks a little oversized and cutting them down. If I can do it, you can do it. I'm very new at this quilting thing. I just did another four last night. I made a Friendship Star for one of the blocks in my son's quilt.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I baked a pineapple upside down cake today. It looked and smelled so good. I'm glad my daughter has picked it up.
I am making apple cider caramel cookies for my daughter to take to work. Nothing like tempting myself, but having an outlet. I even took the wrappers of the caramels without one hitting my mouth.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Murphy1, I saw that recipe but I haven't been to the store to get the ingredients, plus the person I'd bake them for would like one last rhubarb upside down cake before the rhubarb is gone and he doesn't need two desserts at once. The cookies can wait.

I like the looks of those cookies enough to make them with my flour mix so I could have some.

I just had an excited phone call. The Carpenter Star matches the newly painted living room and tones down the burgandy leather couch left from the last decorating job. I have a happy camper! But I miss it. I need to work on my weight loss quilt so I'll have one for my couch.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM
elm

I'm glad you got such good news. Hope the pain is gone very soon. Be well and Happy!!!
Originally Posted by createfourpaws
I am excited to get the final results of the biopsy. All margins are clean, (they got all of the cancer), lymph nodes negative. As the surgeon said I had the best type of cancer, complete removal via surgery. No chemo or radiation will be needed. Surgery was the best option for the type of cancer I did have the research says it does not respond at all to chemo or radiation. It is fed by hormones.

The pain that I am feeling is normal according to the surgeon. Now for the healing to continue and I will be making a follow-up appointment with the pulmonologist to see if I need to do any rehab after the removal of 2/3rds of a lung.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 PM

Is this something you do every month?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MissyGirl
Howdy Yall!!

Cathie is here and we have been having tons of fun. My mom and step dad are in NC and so we have been house sitting.

I have been commissioned to make a quilt that will be auctioned off to raise money for an organization called Better Bed Rest. As I understand it, the organization helps moms who are on bed rest before they have their babies.

Anyway...I'm going to to expose my ignorance here but I have to. I need your help.

The quilt that I have designed and been asked to make (the picture of the design is below) has quite a few triangles and I have almost NO experience making half-square triangles.

The finished HST blocks need to be 2 1/2 inches. HELP!!

Thank you guys so much in advance!!

Missy
I learned how to do things the easy way with glue!Watch Sharon Schambers video on her triangles.It's a breeze,and is NO FAIL!Quilting is SO easy with her techniks,anybody with no experience could make one and will come out perfect every time!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by glassnquilts
Xylie,
I, too, had a friend that died of complications of her weight. I have a friend now that is eating herself to destruction. I met someone that lost weight after she found out she had diabetes. I decided to lessen my chances by losing weight now. I also have been able to go off my bp meds. I have only lost 18 pounds but I think that is a great thing be working on. I am saving my family from having to take care of me.
I feel the same.I am the only one here that takes care of everyone and all the animals,as well as the property/So if something happen to me,it would be a real mess.Hubby and I been together 20 yrs now.He had a cognitive disorder 4 yrs ago and had to put him in a facility for 7 weeks.So I don't think he could live on his own with out help.As he has macular degeneration and is on dementia/altizmers med.He does everything himself,but I do his meds because he can't see them well enough to tell them apart.So that's why I do so much.I still make him mow the yard tho.Because I can't.I do the trees and fix things.Keeps me busy!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Here's a way to cook spaghetti squash, for those who haven't tried it.Use as you would any spaghetti pasta.
Weight Watchers Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Ingredients:
- 1 ripe spaghetti squash
- Non-fat cooking spray
- Kosher or salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder

Directions:
Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and fibers with a spoon. Place on a baking sheet, cut side up, spray lightly with the non-fat cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bake at 350° about an hour or until the skin gives easily under pressure and the inside is tender. Remove from oven and let it cool 10 minutes. Using a fork, scrape out the squash flesh a little at a time. It will separate into spaghetti-like strands. Place in a serving dish and serve hot. Total servings per recipe will vary depending on squash size.

Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 0 Weight Watchers Points

Talking about squash,Aldis has butternut squash for 59c each this wk.So easy to fix.Just put it on a baking sheet & bake in pre heated 375* oven for 45-60 mins.You can use a sq of foil under,so pan doesn't need to be cleaned.
Cut baked squash in 1/2.....serve as is or with any toppings you have the calories for.Very much like a baked sweet potato.
I love squash.Reading this makes me want one!
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Sounds Ok to me. I hope you are feeling better now.

Originally Posted by createfourpaws
Originally Posted by purplemem
Cindy,
I think that will be fine. Use the weight you last knew and confirmed. The point is the healthy lifestyle change.
Thanks MJ & Podunk Princess, I just want to be fair

Cindy