Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Odd things family members say... >

Odd things family members say...

Odd things family members say...

Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM

Once when eating out with friends, the waitress listened to our friend order his entree, then asked if he'd like soup or salad. He innocently responded that the "super salad" would be fine!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 AM

my mom came from old yankee (vermont) stock and my dad was old military so folksy colorful sayings were everyday conversation around our house. my aunt had a hired man working for her who was 'dumber 'en a egg'. named his dog' dog'. my g'mother called her father 'father'( like dan rather) and aunts were aren'ts. the u.s.a. is bordered by 2 oceans, the atlantic and the specific. and to this day my 25 yr old daughter sings the hal lay lu la core us. because it's bee-yig! like hair in texas. and those signs on the back of motor cycles, they are for fighter's who want to "POW" and BOOM" meea, when they see-ya, ya know what i meenya? poor meea getting hit. pow, just like that. and i'm sure others had happy bird days, too! one of the best-- i taught 3 yr olds, and i used a laminated train on the floor to help the kids line up. one little boy kept letting everyone in front of him. when i asked him why, he smiled and said he wanted to be the very last car of the train. he wanted to be the commode!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 AM

When I was a kid I seemed to get more than my share of scrapes and bruises. My mom would say, "you look like you've been sortin' wildcats." When she would get mad at my dad she would say she was going to put him out in the street in a cardboard box.

Last edited by lisalovesquilting; 01-12-2012 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:59 AM

I taught first grade, and one day one of the boys bit another on the arm. When I was questioning him about it he said, "I didn't bite him, his arm just got in my mouth!"
Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 AM

My daddy was always "fine as frog hair".
Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 AM

I find myself constantly saying" What in the Sam Hill for certain situations. Now my 2 yr old grandaughter does the same! Her mother and baby sitter just about die laughing when she say's it, especially in public. Another one she has gotton from me is Mercy or mercy be.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:03 AM
dd

[QUOTE=loves_2_quilt;4866751]My daddy was always "fine as frog hair".[/QUOT

I had an old boyfriend who always said he was "fair to mid-land". He had to explain that to me.
The woman I work with say "see ya up into the AM" instead of see ya tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 PM

My middle sister was always mixing words up... Once we heard her telling her little friend that was the church we went to.. and the preacher preached the gossip...

She and baby sister had their own language and nobody could understand them but me... Eyebrows were "eyeberries" and dresses were "wedalas"... We're all old now, and I'm the only one who remembers that language... When we're together I keep them entertained with it...
Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 PM

We put my MIL in a nursing home about a month ago and today she was worried about her car, She has not had one for about 12 years, We finally figured out it was her wheel chair she calls it her car.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:47 AM

These are terrific! Made me laugh!!! Bring back sooo many memories.
My #2 GS, when very little, pronounced 'commode' as camotty, combo of commode & potty. One of my GD said when little, yogret for yogurt & pupcakes for cupcakes. My Mom (87) to this day still says 'pizza' (we say peteza), motorsicle for motorcycle, 'Mercy Pearl' when alarmed or 'Lands Sake'. My Dad used to reply to folks asking how he was: 'I'm still kickin', just not as high'. My GKs still can't get over me saying "over yonder', 'hittin' the hay', "dinner" instead of lunch, "supper" for dinner.