Oh No..Big Problem!

Old 12-21-2010, 08:02 AM

The same sort of thing happened to me this week too. My DH (with the help of a friend) decided to put down my cedar wood flooring in my living room and down the hall as my Christmas present. We have only had the wood for 3 years and he is just now getting around to putting it down the week before Christmas! Well, you should see my house! Disaster area would be an appropriate word right now. My dining room table top cannot even be seen and I have junk everywhere! Needless to say, we will not be having Christmas at my house this year. DD has volunteered to have it at her house. Bless you Jenn! lol
Old 12-21-2010, 08:33 AM

Good thing you found it when you did. It could have caused more problems with your newly remodeled bathroom.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
was waiting for the punch line... sorry this wasn't one of your famous jokes
I was waiting too. Sorry ditter your just famous here for your jokes. good luck.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Ah yes...The joys of remodeling! I feel for you but just remember that time passes...soon you will be laughing about today
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Perhaps it was lucky as you located a longtime problem which can now be properly fixed to avoid future problems. I always think things happen for a reason.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:43 PM

Don't you just hate it when that happens?
With houses, there in no punch line! They just keep being one funny "little" problem after another! I have to hire things done, and it can get pretty pricey!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by fayza
Originally Posted by suern3
I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. We remodeled our hallway bathroom this fall. Dh did all, new tile in shower and floor, cabinets and counter top. Looks really nice. AND then he had to take off the toilet again because it didn't set right the first time. He places a rag in the pipe while it is off and forgot to take it out. He discovered (or remembered)this after several days when the sewer backed up. Mr. Rooter came out and fixed it, although never found the rag. A couple weeks later main sewer line backed up and carpet in basement now needs to be replaced. Mr. Rooter comes again. (Right before Thanksgiving) After lots of looking and insurance consulting carpet is to be installed on Monday. Friday before, main sewer line is backed up again. Although didn't flood this time because now DH runs to the basement with a flashlight to check drain everytime someone flushes. Cancel carpet installation, call different plumber this time! Do you see the cost of our remodel going up?:) Anyway, long story, carpet is now in, just before Christmas and week-end company. Still haven't found anything in that line but hoping for the best. DH no longer needs to exercise because still running to check the drain in basement several times a day! DH said from the beginning he hates to do plumbing. I'm not saying a word......
I know thats not funny AT ALL but............ This sounds like the way things are always happening around here, something so small (like the rag) causes a major disaster. It does make me smile just to know we're not the only ones. lol :)
I just figure we might as well try to laugh at these things:) Must admit, it took me awhile on this one. LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Well, it turned out not to be as bad as we thought! Still a pain in the butt though! With any luck at all, we'll have it going before the night is over!
We do have another bathroom but you miss one if you're used to it being there!! :lol:
Hey Ditter43, Now all you need is one of those padded toliet seats for your pain. LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 03:30 PM

I KNEW there was a reason we are putting off our bathroom remodel!!! Fortunately we do have another one close by to use while ours is being done. Since it's the master, we will have to move out of our bedroom during the remodel, which I really don't want to think about.

Glad yours is working out ok, Ditter. Now you will have to find us a good joke about it. :lol:
Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Oh, my! That is discouraging. However, at least now you know there was a problem and you will get it fixed. Sounds like this repair will fix more than one problem. Do you mind if I relate to you my story? Here goes.

We were all packed (the car) to leave at 3:00 a.m. to go to Wisc. When we travel I have a difficult time sleeping so I happened to be awake. It was still winter so I was surprised to hear what I thought was rain. Rain? I listened and it sounded like it was coming from the kitchen. (I was in our den) I leaned forward to look in the kitchen and a wall of water (don't know how I missed that) was pouring out of my kitchen ceiling. Yep! The toilet tank on the second floor cracked and broke open and there was an inch of water in the bathroom. I turned off the valved; woke up my DH; then ran for buckets; we started mopping and cleaning and some time later we had most of the water under control. That short time cost us over $10,000.00. Thank heavens for home owner's insurance. It ruined the kit ceiling and floor; it ruined the basement ceiling and carpet; it was pouring out of the light fixtures. Fortunately, I was up (and we were still home) because we saved our hard-wood floors. Our house is 90 years old. Couldn't believe my DH said we better get to bed we have to leave in an hour. Oh, my! Hope that makes you feel that you are not alone in these house hazards.