Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Old post about economical sewing >

Old post about economical sewing

Old post about economical sewing

Old 03-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The more modern machines are not as accessible for cleaning at home.
Computer people use cans of compressed air for cleaning their machines. Like a spray can, but doesn't spray anything but air. I was brush-cleaning my sewing machine but something underneath was still noisy. So DH brought me his can of air. You would not *believe* how much lint and dust blew out of my "clean" sewing machine! (The noisy thing turned out to be the bobbin case -- can they wear out? )
Old 03-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
Computer people use cans of compressed air for cleaning their machines.
This is not recommended for modern sewing machines, as it can actually blow lint deeper into the machine's innards. My Bernina 1230 is not exactly modern, but it is still sufficiently expensive that I would never consider using canned air on it!

As for bobbin cases, they can wear out.

Edit: Canned air might be okay for vintage machines. I don't know for sure, but I am thinking at least vintage machines can be taken apart to clean everything.

Edit 2: No, actually canned air is not good for any machine because the air contains moisture. Canned air is one of the "don'ts" for cleaning machines on this Craftsy site:
https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/artic...ewing-machine/

Last edited by Prism99; 03-06-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:02 AM

What do dealers use to deep clean machines? I've seen canned air sitting on work table when I drop off machine....canned air is used by techs who clean and repair the highly sophisticated equipment now used in surgeries..costing way more than our sewing machines... I use it on my new and old,cheap and expensive machines...just let it air out for a few minutes before putting back together.....and use a light hand, not long shots! Just to bring that hidden lint to where you can grab with tweezers or brush or whatever....just what I do, to each is own. Oh, I also have a long nozzle that attaches to can to get into the deep parts..got from friend who was a medical tech....
Old 03-07-2018, 05:33 AM

Look for patterns that use the kind of critter you've got in your stash.

I.E. Sewbizgirl had a card trick quilt and said that Jenny Doan had a card trick video. Sure nuff. I can use up a couple of those (maybe 15) jelly rolls in my stash.

Marcia
Old 03-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

This is the reason I don't use canned air in my Bernina:
https://weallsew.com/how-to-remove-l...ewing-machine/
My Bernina is a completely enclosed machine like the one pictured; I cannot remove the case.

I did some additional research online, and there are some legitimate uses for compressed air in sewing. It's okay to use it on machines that can be opened up in two directions, so that the lint can be blown out of the machine. A lot of sergers are like that, as are industrial sewing machines. However, apparently there is a difference between compressed air and canned air. Compressed air is plain air under pressure, whereas canned air contains a propellent that adds moisture to the air. One of them (I can't remember which) uses higher pressure, and apparently some sewing machines are sensitive to that kind of pressure. I'm sure technicians keep some kind of compressed or canned air on hand for certain types of machines. It's just not good for my Bernina, and probably not for any enclosed machine.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM

I used canned air on my serger all the time with no issues, and I use it on my Brother sewing machine too. I guess everything machine is different.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Better to buy the vacuum attachment that fits on a regular vacuum hose and has a skinny wand. Bought mine at a sew and vac place. You can put pantyhose over the end if you have a screw down in the machine you can't reach. Suction is way safer for your machines than canned air.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:48 PM

I have a small air compressor in my sewing room as recommended by my Gammil dealer. Works great for all my sewing areas. I also have the mini vac to use.
I buy cones of Aurifil on sale as that is what I prefer to piece with. I do have new sheets I bought on sale to use for backing should the need arise. I will not buy used sheets as I am too concerned about other people's germs that could be transferred. That is also the reason why I don't buy used clothing from other people. No blame, no condemnation, just my preference.
I have cut up strips of various widths for a variety of strip quilt patterns from previous projects.
I had 30+ UFO's but have given away many to new quilters along with fabrics to encourage them...
My new goal is to not buy but use up and finish all these projects that I have been blessed with.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:06 PM

Interesting how you use new sheets, tiggersmom. How do they hold up? The reason I ask is because I bought brand-new cotton sheets, top quality, for our queen size bed. I changed them weekly and looked after them. But they only lasted a year before they wore out to be literally threadbare. I was disappointed, but glad I hadn't put them into a quilt backing.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 PM

My best tip for economical sewing: ask for gift cards to my favorite fabric stores. Spending someone else's money on my habit just can't be beat! LOL