Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Old post about economical sewing >

Old post about economical sewing

Old post about economical sewing

Old 03-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Our cotton sheets used to last for decades, but I have noticed recently that our cotton sheets last only for a year or two before developing holes. These are not the lowest thread count sheets either -- around 600. Not sure if I should look for a higher thread count or not. I have thought about using flat flannel sheets as quilt backings, but they always seem to be sold in sets. I suppose I could cut off the corners of the fitted sheet in a set, but not sure what to do with all the extra pillowcases. At that point it no longer seems very economical, plus I would want to try out flannel sheets first to make sure they don't pill.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Our cotton sheets used to last for decades, but I have noticed recently that our cotton sheets last only for a year or two before developing holes. These are not the lowest thread count sheets either -- around 600. Not sure if I should look for a higher thread count or not. I have thought about using flat flannel sheets as quilt backings, but they always seem to be sold in sets. I suppose I could cut off the corners of the fitted sheet in a set, but not sure what to do with all the extra pillowcases. At that point it no longer seems very economical, plus I would want to try out flannel sheets first to make sure they don't pill.
From my research , thread count doesn't mean much, since there's no industry standard. What you want is Egyptian cotton which has a long staple and very soft. I bought a set probably 11 years ago that is still absolutely wonderful, soft and no holes and no pilling. Ever since then, I've only bought Egyptian cotton sheets for our beds. Love, love, love them.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, zozee! I will try Egyptian cotton next time.

Edit: Any recommendations about where to look for them, or a brand? I have quickly checked Amazon and the reviews are mixed. Looks like some may be marketed as Egyptian cotton but be something else.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-07-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:11 PM

I have seen them at Ross, Tuesday Morning, lots of places. I'll have to check the brand that I referred to above. My all time favorite sheets. They get softer with every wash.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
My best tip for economical sewing: ask for gift cards to my favorite fabric stores. Spending someone else's money on my habit just can't be beat! LOL
Yes!!!!! Best idea yet.
NZquilter: my sheets I use on my bed have lasted for years and years. I wonder why yours only lasted 1 year, interesting.
I put a sheet on the back of a queen bedspread and no problems yet. It's been over 5+ years ago. It doesn't get washed weekly tho as most quilts don't either.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-09-2018 at 03:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I'll only be economical in my quilting if I have to also economize in my living expenses to survive. To be economical for the sake of being economic is not a priority for me. The best way to quilt cheaply is to join a guild. As soon as everyone knows you will take scraps to use, you will be swimming in them.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I'll only be economical in my quilting if I have to also economize in my living expenses to survive.
A lot of people who love to quilt are in that predicament, which is why we need a thread on saving money. One thing I remember from the previous one was things like using plastic bags for crochet. BTW, I just gave a few hundred of those to a group that is making mats for the homeless.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:54 AM

I no longer applique and have nearly every color Mettler 60 weight.
I've decided if 2 ply 50 weight is good, and that really thin bobbin weight is good,
no reason I shouldn't use that 60 weight when piecing. .

I've not actually put it to work yet

and I agree with the 'wish I hadn't built a stash'. I quit buying fabric in 2001. I've never bought yardage
so I'm a scrappy quilter by default, not necessarily by choice.

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 03-09-2018 at 06:57 AM.