Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Wives Tales.

If it rains while the sun is shining it will rain at the same time the next day. If you touch a frog you will get warts on your hands. If you eat a whole cup of nuts at one time you will die before the next morning. Any stitch you do on Sunday you will have to remove on Monday.If you get a fright while you are pregnant and touch your face the baby will have a birthmark on that spot on it's face. I could go on all day my DM was just full of them.

Blog Entries
    Well, "never sit on a boy's lap". won't begin to explain that one.

i remembered a few more:

* if you knit your man a pair of socks, he'll walk away from you (leave you)
    * if you gift your man a pair of shoes... same as above
    * running slow isn't a character flaw; quitting is.
    * ANY idiot can run; it takes a SPECIAL KIND OF IDIOT to run a marathon.

*4- 5ks *1- 5miler *1- 10k *2- 13.1 *1- 26.2.... and counting

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    If it rains while the sun is shining it will rain at the same time the next day. If you touch a frog you will get warts on your hands. If you eat a whole cup of nuts at one time you will die before the next morning. Any stitch you do on Sunday you will have to remove on Monday.If you get a fright while you are pregnant and touch your face the baby will have a birthmark on that spot on it's face. I could go on all day my DM was just full of them.
    I've heard if snow lingers around, it is waiting for more snow.
    Country 1

Quote Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
    I have heard 1,3,&4. I heard "If your ears are burning, someone is talking about you."
    It is true about the bathroom, go in and if the kids don't come I can say for sure the dogs all have to come and hang out.
    I heard if you give knives as a wedding present, you are suppose to tape a new penny on the gift or it is bad luck.
    Well. my great aunt did this when I got married the 1st time. Turns out the penny was worth more than him.LOL
    Country 1

Keep 'em coming, this is fun and funny on some. My grand-mother swore by these. She thought Soltice was the answer for just about everything from sinus, arthiritis, muscle aches, ..... She also used mudd dober nests, put them in an old sock and crush them. Then you would dust it on galleded areas or diaper rash. Soltas
    I keep a jar in my bedside table and yes I use it. When my daughter was a newborn she had a reaction to Desidin. My DD went to the barn, I used it and her rash, blisters, and redness was gone shortly afterward!
    Sometimes I think I am a chemical sespool. Wonder if we used old time remedies it would make us better.
    Sorry for all the miss spelling, I'm about to fall asleep!
    Country 1

Don't lay shoes down on a bed - brings bad luck.
    Don't step over a baby playing on the floor, he/she will not grow.
    (Only buy quality food products because....) cheap meat dogs eat (thanks Granny).
    If you make an ugly face it will freeze like that.

Blog Entries
    If you go outside with your hair wet, you will catch a cold
    If you swallow gum it will stay in your stomach for 7 years
    if you eat the crusts on your sandwiches you will be able to whistle
    if you eat all your bacon you will be able to snap your fingers
    If you get a sore white spot on your tongue it's because you told a lie
    If you start shaving your legs too early, the hair will grow back in thicker

and one that my older sisters taunted me with because I was plagued often with styes in my eye and one you probably don't want to share with your DGD - if you get a stye in your eye it is because you peed in the alley!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    don't open an umbrella inside, especially a black one. nor put it on the bed open. not sure why.

Blog Entries
    These are some I grew up knowing as a kid: If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake with the first puff you will get your wish.
    If you get a chill up your back or goosebumps, it means that someone is walking over your grave.
    If a clock which has not been working suddenly chimes, therewill be a death in the family.

Don't step on a crack on a sidewalk or walkway.
    Step on a crack
    Break your mother's back.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away
    Cross my heart and hope to die,
    Cut my throat if I tell a lie.
    Last edited by MissM; 03-11-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Friends are the most important ingredient in the recipe of life.

Quote Originally Posted by libby2595 View Post
    mine might be a little "different" being that i'm first generation american.
    i'll chime is as i remember them.

* if you sweep over the feet of a young-single girl/lady, she will be a spinster.
    * if you hit yourself on the elbow (the funny bone), don't rub it. it'll bring good luck.
    * if it's raining and the sun is out, a "witch" is getting married.
    * if your new baby (up to toddlerhood) gets very needy with mommy, that's because there's another bun in the oven.
    * if your boob itches, an "old man" is "desiring" you.
    My grandma used to say if your boob itches, the one that had it last wants it again!

If you have a tooth pulled and don't stick your tongue in the hole, you will grow a gold tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by ragquilter View Post
    If you have a tooth pulled and don't stick your tongue in the hole, you will grow a gold tooth.
    Hahaha, Ragquilter...My Aunt always told us this & I used to believe it.

Well here's one of the weirdest things I ever heard. I actually overheard a woman tell her daughter (with baby in arm) this one: You shouldn't take a baby out on a windy day because it will give the baby gas.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    If a bird flies in a window, someone in the family will die.
    If a window shade snaps and rolls up by itself, someone will die.
    Putting shoes on furniture (not with feet in them!) is another sign of death. (Ive heard this one from people who came from all over the world, from Australia to Russia - my DGM).

If you knit a sweater for your man, the relationship will not last (another international one and it's true!).

if you get dressed and put something on inside out by mistake, you will have unexpected visitors (I actually believe in that one too!).

Blog Entries
    Mama said that if you sewed on Sunday you would have to pick every stitch out with your nose when you got to heaven. This worried me until I realized I had sewn so much on Sundays that my nose was long gone!

Also "don't split the pole" means that when two are walking together and a column, sign, etc. comes between them it will break the friendship/relationship UNLESS you both say something that goes together like "bacon and eggs" or "salt and pepper."

And finally my favorite library storytelling charm which prevents nightmares. Place the shoes you wore today under the bed side by side, one going forward and the other back. No Nightmares! So many of my students rushed to school to tell me that this worked. LOL!
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

If a woman is on her period and goes into a garden, the crops will die.

"A whistling woman and a crowing hen are sure to come to no good end."

"My nose itches, I smell peaches, somebody's coming with a hole in their britches!"

Donna

Thanks to all for sharing… What a HOOT.
    This one I heard a lot…. My oldest brother (both after me in 1948) was born with a flat nose. My paternal DGM said that was 'cause my Mom wore her belts too tight. But low & behold my Mom's youngest sister also had a boy with same. I can remember beating up kids, chasing, etc for making fun of my bro. We went to same school all 12 yrs so after a few yrs they quit teasing + he was a large kid & he was given the nickname "heavy" which he is still refered t. And looking at a pic of my Mom's mom when she was around 19- guess what? Her nose looked rather flat too. So I believe it was inherited.
    Sooo, boo hoo to that 'old wives tale'….
    Oh, one I remember… If you go to see a scary movie, it will cause problems with babe.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    never reach above your head when you're pregnant, it will cause the cord to wrap around the baby's neck!
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters & 1 grandson in law ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 1 black beauty now ~ Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

Blog Entries
    Loved reading this post, some I have never heard before. Very fun reading, looking forward to more.

Milk will spoil faster during a thunderstorm.

Don't wash your hair during your period.

Bad things happen in batches of three.

You will catch a cold if you go outside with wet hair.

If you cross your eyes, they could stay that way.

If you crack your knuckles they will get bigger.

Tried to think of the ones that got passed down from my grandma to my mom. Sheesh!

I don't have any to add that haven't been posted already, but I wanted to say thank you for starting this thread - it's making me giggle with memories of my grandparents! My mom still tells me going outside with wet hair will make me catch a cold, even though I've been doing it my whole life.

This is is a really lovely thing you're doing for your niece, also. She will treasure it and the memories.

My father had me take a pin and some salt. I had a wart on my nose and he had me circle it 3 times with the pin then throw salt over my shoulder. I was just a kid at the time. It worked. The wart went away.
    Also had an mump that would not go away and he made a poltice of onion and turpintine. Tied it around my chin and the mump drained and went away.
    Sometimes it is just what you believe that makes things happen.

Step on a crack break your mothers back is one I remember from scotch hop as a kid.
    Last edited by Rose Marie; 03-12-2014 at 06:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    When getting married:
    Change the name but not the letter
    change for worse and not for better

If you drop silverware you will have company

My grandfather said if I didn't eat my bread crusts I couldn't whistle....to this day I can't whistle

Feed a cold starve a fever is remembered wrong the actual saying is feed a cold stave a fever. (meaning to hold off a fever) is actually not bad advice.

Have a bit of hair from the dog that bit you. How that became a hangover cure is beyond me started in something like 16 century England and if you were bit by a dog you were suppose to pluck some hair from the dog that bit you and hold it to to would to recover faster. It dosen't work for either problem.

If you are unable to sleep its because you are awake in someone else's dream

If you bite your tongue someone is talking about you
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    If you don't eat your crust you want have curly hair.
    13 on a Friday bad luck.
    Shoes on a table bad luck.
    Don't walk under a ladder.
    Cross fingers for luck.
    A stitch in time saves time,.

The info about magpies. One for sorrow two for joy three for a girl and four for a boy.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast