Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Wives Tales.

Di
    If your ears are ringing, someone is talking about you.

I remember hearing my Grandma tell me "get your hair out of your eyes or you will go blind. My daughter remembers me telling her that when she was little.

If you eat bread crusts, it will make your hair curly (doesn't work).

My step-dad use to tell me if I ate bread and gravy it would put hair on my chest. Don't know if that was just something he would tell me or if it was an old wives tale. Either way, it didn't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    My former deceased mil screamed at me in my own house after I had just hung a load of laundry out to dry. ANd I mean she screamed. Told her to leave.
    Yes I remember that one - my doctor said - "well, how do they get their clothes on over their head?" He also told me to listen to everything my mother said - then do anything I felt like doing.
    TwandasMom

That last one works for the phone, too. If you want to make a call, pick up your phone and you will be swamped with request from your children.

Not the worst thing that could happen...
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    My mother always told me that if I didn't eat my bread crusts that my teeth would fall out.
    TwandasMom

Blog Entries
    My mother was told that if you are nursing a baby you will not get pregnant.
    My brother is 15 months younger than me...

If you're getting a fever sore on your lip, rub your finger behind your ears, then rub the finger over the fever sore. The fever blister won't develop because the oils behind your ear 'kill' the virus.

It doesn't work for me, but she believed it worked for her.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Pregnant women who carry low = boy, or pregnancy acne = girl.
    Pregnant women shouldn't take baths.
    Pregnant women shouldn't eat fish

Quote Originally Posted by Country1 View Post
    I heard if you give knives as a wedding present, you are suppose to tape a new penny on the gift or it is bad luck.
    Well. my great aunt did this when I got married the 1st time. Turns out the penny was worth more than him.LOL
    If you give a purse or wallet as a present, always put in a coin.

Blog Entries
    If someone gives you a plant, never thank them for it or it will die. If you give someone a knife, you must give them a penny to prevent the knife from "cutting" the friendship. If you drop a dish towel on the floor, you're going to have company.

my mother always said "put on a sweater, your mother is cold!" and I say that to my kids now! My grammie always put a penny in any new purse or wallet she gave us.

sap
    never gift a knife have recipient pay a coin so no relationship is cut

This is one my mother passed on to me and,growing up in rural Central Texas, I've known it to be true many many times.......
    "If you see a turtle crossing the road, it will rain within the next couple of days."
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

If you can tomatoes, pickles, sauer kraut while on your period they will spoil.
    Country 1

When the robins come in the spring it has to snow 3 times on them before it will stop snowing for the winter.
    Have to have 3 sugar snow before winter is over. Sugar snow is snow that stick to every thing.

Blog Entries
    Freckles are caused by angel kisses.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    I have lots and lots, my mother was very superstitious, never let a black cat cross you path or its bad luck. If you are walking with someone and you let anything come between you and that person(like a pole, or fence post etc.) you have to say bread and butter or you will get into a fight. My husband always comes around the pole or what ever would be separating us when we are walking.. Also if a bird flies in the house and lands on the bed, whose ever side it lights on will die. Geez!

Blog Entries
    coffee will stunt your growth.

Every stitch you sew on a Sunday you will have to take out with your nose in heaven.

Most of the ones I can think of have already been posted, but here are a few.

If you cross your eyes or stick out your tongue, you'll get stuck that way.

You're not supposed to take a bath during your period because it'll make it stop. (??) However, taking a shower is okay. (Heck, I would've sat in the bathtub all day if it really worked! ROFL!)

If you hear a dove, it's going to rain soon.

If you hear an owl, a loved one is going to pass away soon.

If you find a penny, pick it up. It's supposed to be lucky. There was a second part that said if "heads" was showing it meant one thing, and if "tails" was showing, it meant something else, but I don't remember the rest of it.

If you swallow a watermelon seed, a watermelon will grow in your stomach!

If you eat carrots, you'll be able to see in the dark.
    Last edited by moonrise; 03-12-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you break a mirror you'll have 7 years of bad luck. Never thank someone for handing you scissors or anything sharp. If your right ear is ringing, someone is talking kindly about you. If it's the left ear, someone is talking badly about you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmahon69 View Post
    If you break a mirror you'll have 7 years of bad luck. Never thank someone for handing you scissors or anything sharp. If your right ear is ringing, someone is talking kindly about you. If it's the left ear, someone is talking badly about you.
    I was always told if your ears were ringing it was right for spite, left is all right!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    My grandmother always said "Sew on Sunday and you'll pick it out with your nose on Monday." My mother repeated this to me often. Outcome is----I don't sew on Sunday, but not because of the saying. I'm usually busy with church stuff on Sunday.

Blog Entries
    My mother was splattered with a little grease on her face and my aunt grabbed her hand and said "hit your leg". Well, it seems that if you get splattered on your face with grease while you are pregnant and you instinctively grab for your face your baby will have a big birthmark on his/her face. My mother grabbed her leg. I have a birthmark on my left leg - and that was 75 years ago. I love that story - old wive's tale, yes; true, maybe!!!!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

When you see a red bird on a branch if it flies up you will have good luck or if it flies down you will have bad luck.
    My great grandmother always made us leave from the same door we entered. She was very adamant about it.

Love this. Thank you all for sharing! I hope everyone is enjoying this as much as I am. Some have brought back childhood memories and others I've not heard before. Either way I'm really thankful for everyone that is participating and keep 'em coming!
    Penny
    Country 1

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast