Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Old Wives Tales.

My mom would never hand a knife, a scissor, or anything sharp to another person. You'd have to put the sharp object on a table and let the person pick it up themselves, otherwise is would cut apart your relationship with that person.

Mom had another idiosyncracy (I don't know if it would be considered an old wives' tale) that nobody outside my family ever seems to have heard of. When one of us kids would fall and bump our heads, she would tape a quarter onto the bump. Supposedly it would keep the bump from getting bigger and would help it go down. I'd be interested to know if anyone else ever heard of doing that or if my Mom was a little off her rocker (kidding)!

to stop a baby's hiccup, put a strand on red thread on its forehead.
    never put your bed under a window(that is obvious, drafts)

Blog Entries
    I have heard all of the ones posted on the board. My mother and grand mother used to say these all the time. Here's one Too many cook's in the kitchen will spoil the broth.

My Nana used to tell us if your left had itches you are going to get money; if the right hand itches you are going to lose money.
    If your noses itches, you are going to kiss a fool
    If you drop a knife, you're going to get a letter
    To get rid of hiccups, hold your ears while drinking water (it can be done and for me it actually works!) or eat a teaspoon of sugar
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Blog Entries
    If you have a lot of heartburn during pregnancy, the baby will be born with lots of hair. No heartburn=no hair. Was on the spot with both of mine.

Blog Entries
    My grandmother always said we have to leave by the same door we came in from, otherwise, unexpected company will show up.

Blog Entries
    Lots of heartburn while pregnant means baby will have lots of hair.
    Drop a spoon, someones coming for dinner.
    black cat crosses your path it's bad luck (we have 3 next door) so far so good
    Whistle while walking past a cemetery, I forget why.
    This one came from our friend in the UK... don't eat peas from the garden, they will make you sick. I bet it was the only way to get the peas to the dinner table LOL
    If it rains on your wedding day it is good luck.
    Don't throw your hat on the bed, bad luck.
    Don't sleep with your feet in the street, don't place your bed so your feet face the street.
    Find a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck!
    And this one is just good common sense, "Don't fry bacon in the nude"
    ​We can't help everyone, But everyone can help someone.

My old German grandmother said....
    If you go out the door and turn back, you must go in and out 3 times or bad luck will follow.
    And , so funny, if you want a boy when pregnant you must eat rooster testicles. Hmmm, how do you find them? haaaaa
    Also about your palm itching, can't remember which side. One side is money coming and the other is meeting a stranger.
    Last edited by linhawk; 03-13-2014 at 08:39 AM.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Don't get married between the hour and half hour. Only get married when the minute hand is on the upswing.

I am loving reading all these sayings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    If your palm itches you're going to get money.
    If your nose itches you're going to kiss a fool.
    If it rains while the sun is shining, the devil is beating his wife.

Don't know where any of these came from but were standards in my family!
    Mine too, except for the last one about the devil.

Nose itching was kiss a fool or someone was talking or thinking about you.

If your stomach gets wet while washing dishes, you are going to marry a drunk.

If you head out somewhere for a long trip, don't turn around and head back home for anything or mishaps will befall you. Whether it works or not, we did that once and had two flat tires later on.

I still believe in the palm one. Right palm itches you are going to get money, Left palm itches you are going to pay money out. Seems to work! lol
    Last edited by reeskylr; 03-13-2014 at 09:39 AM.
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

To DONNA C from Rhode Island - yes I've heard about taping a quarter to a bump. I grew up in New York City and New Jersey, nowhere near you. To EVERYONE ELSE - this is such a fun topic. I put some things in several pages ago and since then have read so many more that made me think "oh I forgot that one". Look forward to reading many more.

sap
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    My mom would never hand a knife, a scissor, or anything sharp to another person. You'd have to put the sharp object on a table and let the person pick it up themselves, otherwise is would cut apart your relationship with that person.

Mom had another idiosyncracy (I don't know if it would be considered an old wives' tale) that nobody outside my family ever seems to have heard of. When one of us kids would fall and bump our heads, she would tape a quarter onto the bump. Supposedly it would keep the bump from getting bigger and would help it go down. I'd be interested to know if anyone else ever heard of doing that or if my Mom was a little off her rocker (kidding)!
    the quarter is cool (ice) keeps the swelling down -- they didn't usually have ice n the summer

Blog Entries
    I can remember my elderly neighbor - this was 20 years ago telling about his elderly neighbor from when he was a kid - she would not put screens on her house - she thought it was bad luck to breathe sifted air.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    I was told it was bad luck to cut May Tree flowers and bring them into the house.
    Last edited by noveltyjunkie; 03-13-2014 at 02:06 PM.

One I had heard is that cowlicks are where you were kissed by an angel.
    Lynda

Both of mine pertain to sewing: Find a pin and pick it up,the rest the day you'll have good luck. Find a pin and leave it lay,you'll have bad luck the rest the day. The one that still haunts me is: Never start a sewing project on a Friday because you will never finish it.

One I forgot in my earlier post was one an old man who lived down the street from me for years told me. If it thunders in February, there'll be no blackberries that year.

Donna
    DonnaFreak

"Some days it's just not worth it to chew through the leather straps."

This isn't an old wives tale, but it keeps coming to mind... A ditty that my dad used to say...

"When God was handing out roses, I thought he said noses. So I said, make mine a big red one."

Nuff said.

Thank you all for sharing. I think this has been a fun topic. I am amazed at how many people have read or participated in this thread!
    Penny
    Country 1

Hard not to do, but my grandmother always said don't sew on Sunday or you will rip it out on Monday.

"Never kill a cricket in your home because another will replace it. Release the cricket alive outside."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet View Post
    "Never kill a cricket in your home because another will replace it. Release the cricket alive outside."
    LOL in my experience he will come right back in and bring his choir friends and sing all night.
    Never let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

pal
    My Dad never passed a penny in the street without picking it up and saying

"Penny, penny, bring me luck -
    I'm the guy that picked you up!!!!" It definitely works.......

He always considered himself the luckiest guy in the world because he said that he never had to work - He worked every day of his life with enthusiasm, taking the opportunity to learn something new each day!
    Last edited by pal; 03-15-2014 at 07:52 AM.
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

I was raised deep southern rural. I remember these.
    Drinking pickle juice will make your guts stick together.
    A baby with thrush. if he looks at someone that has never seen their father, the thrush will go away.
    Going barefoot in the summer you will get worms. (Kids were never playing outside without wearing shoes)
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I have found this one to be true..I always mark it on the calendar...if it thunders in February...you will have a cool spell during that time in April...well it thundered Feb 20th here in Houston...and I looked on the calendar and Easter is April 20th and we always have a cool spell around Easter time...
    My grandmother lived on a street and there was a train track in front of her house...she told us never sit and count the cars on a train..or someone would die in the family...remember that till this day..if I get stopped by a train...

Have heard of most of the ones posted here...break a mirror..7 years bad luck..throw salt over your left shoulder brings good luck...drop a dish rag...someone coming that's dirtier than you are..nose itches..someone's coming with a hole in their britches...never hang clothes on the line on Sunday...you'll wear dirty clothes all week.. Count the wrinkles on a new baby's thighs..can't remember the numbers but it will tell you whether your next baby will be a boy or girl...

Now about the wart...I had one to come up on my back..I took a irish potato and cut it in half...you rub the wart with the cut side of the potato...then put it back together like it was before you cut it.. and plant it under the front steps...well I planted it at the edge of my concrete front porch...had a nice potato plant come up...but in about a month the wart was gone...and that was tried on one of my kids and it worked back then also...so I fully believe in that one..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast