Olympics in London...

Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Well Said!

You and everyone (and this is said generically, for all, and for all host countries!) definitely deserve the "right" to continue your lives livelihoods and lifestyles with minimal interference because of the Olympics.

As noted in my earlier post, I was terribly disappointed in the tone of this earlier comment, and slur against the Brits. I am glad that you came forth and spoke on behalf of your fellow country wo/men.
Yes - me to !!

When I read this thread last night - as I had watched the opening ceremony - I was just so sorry to read the negative comments and I could not reply straight away. We all have the right to air our thoughts - but sometimes I feel the less said the better! I do not think people realize how narrow our streets are here in the UK - and congestion can EASILY occur. Therefore commutes to work can be difficult at the best of times as general life goes on. I am SO proud to be British - as we all are of our nationality - but we excelled ourselves last night. Good luck to all participants and I pray that the games are safe and successful.
Dotty D England, UK.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:42 AM

I love the games and it is so humbling to see elite athletes compete, and to know how hard they have worked on their natural talent to get to the level they are at in their chosen field.

It is also great to see athletes from really poor countries get there- our school did a fundraiser for the Kiribati team (it's pronounced Kirrybass and I'm sure many have never heard of it). It is a small Pacific Island nation and the whole boxing team only owned I think two full sets of Olympic equipment, which all the members had to share between them. (To the person who complained that other teams "get everything paid for", please note!) I'd be surprised if they win a medal, but I enjoy knowing that someone cares enough to make the effort to prepare and go and pitch themselves against the best in the world. And why should some poor boy in Kiribati not dream of being the best? If we can't all have that dream, what is the point?

My favourite part of the opening ceremony was when they lit the flame, which started in separate little dishes representing each team, and then came together into one big bowl of light- beautiful imagery- the whole world has to come together and share their light to make an Olympics happen, and that is something else to celebrate!

Another thing I found really interesting is that there is a small number of athletes competing under the Olympic flag, because they have no country. (Most of them are from what used to be the Netherlands Antillies- I did not know until today that their country no longer exists!) I don't think any of them are expected to win a medal but imagine if you did and you had no national flag to raise - quite a concept!

Living in Australia one thing I don't like so much is the constant focus on the Aussie medal tally and comentators (who probably never won anything in their lives) complaining that "we" "only" got a certain number of gold medals. I grew up in a country where we seldom won anything, so I learned to enjoy the competition and celebrate the achievements of Olympians from all over (and our TV showed the best bits, not just the sports that we were going to do well in!)

My favourite is the track and field, but I enjoy watching all sorts of sports and will watch as much as I can. I agree about the professional athletes- it seems odd to me that tennis players etc are in there, (but then again, a lot of elite athletes in other codes are fulltime sportsmen/women too- I would prefer it was otherwise but that is life- it is hard to pursue your sport to the utmost and hold down a job as well)
Old 07-28-2012, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
Yes - me to !!

When I read this thread last night - as I had watched the opening ceremony - I was just so sorry to read the negative comments and I could not reply straight away. We all have the right to air our thoughts - but sometimes I feel the less said the better! I do not think people realize how narrow our streets are here in the UK - and congestion can EASILY occur. Therefore commutes to work can be difficult at the best of times as general life goes on. I am SO proud to be British - as we all are of our nationality - but we excelled ourselves last night. Good luck to all participants and I pray that the games are safe and successful.
Dotty D England, UK.
And another ... Well Said!!

The opening ceremonies were beyond incredible. I sat there in awe most of the time, just thinking of the "how" it was all done to such perfection. Absolutely Amazing!

Here's to some incredible games!!!
... and dry weather! (the one part of Britain that you maybe don't want to show off too much these next couple of weeks!!!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:22 AM

Wink

I find all Gr Britain has done to put on the Games AMAZING! Under budget? Who would even think that was possible? I watched the program explaining all the back story of building the venues- did you know the venue where the opening ceremonies/track-field is can be reconfigured into a smaller arena when it's over? This is brilliant and definitely what will happen in the future. Also there were many improvements and upgrades done in London which hopefully Londoners will be able to enjoy and benefit from when the rest of the world goes home. I love everything about the Olympics, especially all the athletes' stories. I do think maybe smaller or less industrialized countries could benefit and avoid financial pitfalls if they could be a Host Coalition instead of an individual host. I'm concerned for Brazil and the financial burden and pressure hosting the games must be putting on them. Especially since the media can't seem to talk about them without mentioning they are the first South American hosts. My one disappointment is the absence of Ann Curry in the NBC coverage, but that's another thread...
Old 07-28-2012, 06:00 AM

I'm not usually a sports fan but I love watching the Olympics! I watch any event the TV is showing from soccer to track & field events.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Banned

China could not be beat for the shear beauty of their Opening Ceremony a few years ago.

The Brits, however, can outdo anybody with their creativity and imagination
I loved the Opening Ceremony
Old 07-28-2012, 07:04 AM

I loved the way that they lite the flame...each country having a "petal" of the flower that closed to become the pedestal...VERY creative. One of the best in recent memory.

DOTTY D. in England...you have made a wonderful statement! I'm proud of the UK and I'm an American...they pulled it off, even with all the other craziness in everyday life. Yes, the roads are narrow...that gives it the quaintness. I would love to be able to see your country someday....it has always been a dream.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by deneldacoop View Post
I really have no interest in the olympics. I would much rather be in my sewing room with some nice music. I have very little interest in TV period. Detest reality shows, see them once and you have pretty well seen the whole series.
Am I bitter? Kind of. TV use to be enjoyable.
This is off the topic, but I wanted to respond to your comment/ While I agree 1000% about reality shows (which are no more "real" than a spray-on tan), my DH & DS & I were just talking the other day & we think this is another "Golden Age" of TV. I personally tink there are some FABULOUS shows on (Nurse Jackie, Breaking Bad, NY Med, Boardwalk Empire) on now. Granted, network TV for the most part is rather dull but there is quality out there!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
I loved the way that they lite the flame...each country having a "petal" of the flower that closed to become the pedestal...VERY creative. One of the best in recent memory.

DOTTY D. in England...you have made a wonderful statement! I'm proud of the UK and I'm an American...they pulled it off, even with all the other craziness in everyday life. Yes, the roads are narrow...that gives it the quaintness. I would love to be able to see your country someday....it has always been a dream.
I agree that the flame lighting was awesome! I'm just disappointed that you can only see the cauldron in the stadium. I personally think they should have put it at the stadium entrance so it could really be enjoyed.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:39 AM

Look at the neat graphic from Google today...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]352066[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails olympics.jpg