One Room School House

Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 AM

hubby went to a one room schoolhouse in montrose, pa. he was one of two first graders--the other one was shirley. they still keep touch, all these years later. (he's 70, now) the schoolhouse is still there, as far as i know--one of the "kids" who attended there purchased it when it went for sale, and last time we were out there, it was still standing. lots of memories living in that building--a lot of history. he lived just down the road "a piece", and remembers the walk there, carrying his metal lunch bucket. (later, when he entered the navy, i was in 5th grade, in a suburban school in minnesota--talk about a contrast in life experiences...)
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM

I attended a one room school until grade 5. I was four years old when I started, as a shortcut I walked across a field about 3/4 of a mile, crossing one creek (no bridge). Our family dog walked with me and was great at killing snakes. I recall the snow being well above my knees one year and I did get lost on the way home due to the white out conditions of the storm. My older brother found me. The school had a pot belly stove for heat. The teacher roomed in one of the students home and she also had to walk, more than twice as far as I walked (and it was uphill). My hands were so cold once when I got to school, the teacher had me put them in a bowl of ice water to warm them. It worked. That water actually felt warm. There was one other girl in my class. There were two outhouses and a hand pump for drinking water. Our little tin water cups folded up accordian style. I spent quite a bit of time standing in the corner for punishment. My hubby tells of being switched but I don't recall any such punishment in our little school. The school sold and is now a home. Don't know if it still uses the pot belly wood stove or not.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:35 AM

I grew up in Scotland and lived in the country. I went to a 2 room school house that sat on the edge of the woods. There was an old ruined castle close to the school and we would play there after school. There was also a burn (stream) that ran along side the road and there was a stream that came out of the side of the hill. It had an iron lions head around it and the water came out of it's mouth. The fresh water always hurt our teeth because it was so cold.
I always walked the three miles to school and back with my big brother and our friends in all kinds of weather.
I loved it and as I think back I was living and going to school in what some people would consider a fairy land setting.
I would not swap those memories of my beginning school days.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I didn't have to walk to school but I did ride my bike to the neighbors before and after school in most weathers. I remember riding it through rain but not snow. My mom worked and I had to go about a half mile to the neighbors.

Here is a picture of my mom in her school house. It was Mt. Zion and sat somewhere around Bonaparte Iowa. If anyone has any pictures of the school that would be terrific.
Attached Thumbnails scan0037.jpg  
Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 AM

I went to the same one room school that my Dad went except it was a 2 room when he was there, and all winter we skied to school.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
QM
Power Poster

I went to an urban school. My uncle spoke very fondly of his one room school experience. Besides getting an academic education, he emphasized that having many grades together makes people learn to help each other and to get along. Now I live in the country. Our school district still has one tiny satellite one-roomer. The parents and kids have been fighting hard to keep it.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 PM

The best I can do is, my mother Taught in a one room school house up near Owen Sound in Ontario. She taught for two years. When she married my father she was forced to quit. Most of the farm boys were bigger than her.
MaryKatherine
Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM

I went to a one room school that had all eight grades, 38 students and 5 children with handicaps, 2 were deaf and had speech problems, 2 had learning problems and one was in a wheel chair. No running water and outdoor bathrooms and one teacher.
My husbands one room school had no electricity, outdoor bathrooms and the road wasn't snowplowed in the winter, he skied to school from first grade on.
Even with this start in life we turned out OK
Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 PM

I did not attend a one room schoolhouse, but I am involved in one. For the last 12 years or so, the "neighborhood" is restoring a 2 story one room school. The upstairs was used as the Horsetheif detective association. We have a hog roast every fall as a money maker and the area women meet there for a sewing club. I am the schoolmarm when the school kids come and it is so much fun.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM

I went to a country school. We had two rooms, grades 1,2,3, in one room and 4,5,6, in the other room. We had an outhouse for us to use, one for the boys and one for the girls. We would carry our own lunches from home and I don't believe we got sick on them. I do miss the simplicity of those days.