Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Osteoarthritis of the knee.  Best treatments/ideas you know of? >

Osteoarthritis of the knee. Best treatments/ideas you know of?

Osteoarthritis of the knee. Best treatments/ideas you know of?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your pain. Get your knees xrays of your knees. There are treatments they can do prior to replacements.

I didn't until my knees were way beyong bad. Since then, I have had both knees replaced. It was not a picnic nor was it as bad as I thought it would be. For too long my motto was 'noone is going to saw my bones'. My knees are pain free and walking never felt so good.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 PM

I'm going to a information meeting on a MAKOplasty partial knee replacement. What I hear is that when they go back to have the stitches out they ask for a date for the other knee. I hope this works for me - I take Mobic and have Synvestain injections about every 9 months.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:07 AM

Well--this is very new for me. I was doing chores, teaching, chores, running 2 miles...and all was well. I feel great. But then one day my knee/leg was achy. I stretched it. Then I looked at it and it was swollen. I was shocked. It was x-rayed--great results--and I had an MRI that showed a perfect knee except for the thinning of the cartilage in a section. It's kind of shocking to me because it feels like it happened suddenly.

A few months ago a horse plowed into my thigh--so I had that, and then from rolling under the barbed wire fence, I got costrachrondritis. Ooo--that was painful. Now this. 50 was the only age I never looked forward to--the only one that made me apprehensive; now I know why.

BUT, I shperseverevere. I feel I'm in great shape for 51--almost 52--so the exercises will be a piece of cake. I just hope this doesn't progress quickly. But if it does--there are options. So--I'll good.

From all the other stuff, I've taken a lot of Ibuprofen, so I want to switch to something elstook aspirinspiran this morning. I will try Aleve. And maybe some of the supplements mentioned in a reply.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 AM

I had knee replacement 3 years ago and it is the best thing I did, after 10 years of gradually getting worse. I had tried everything. Now osteoarthritis is becoming severe in my lower spine, also hands, feet and shoulders.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:10 AM

Osteoarthritis is a painful disease. I have it all over my body and the best thing I have found is to keep moving. Exercise as much as you can and don't just sit and do nothing even tho it may be a little painful at times to get up and exercise. I am taking Dr. prescribed Celebrex which is the only thing that would give me some relief. I now have it in my upper neck so I feel like I have a stiff neck all the time. Tylenol seems to help with this. Isn't it fun to get old?
Old 04-19-2012, 04:15 AM

There is a drink called Elations which helps me. It contains glucosamine & chondroitin. It takes a couple of weeks to start working & it has a pleasant taste. Also include vitamin C, that helps rebuild the cartliage lost in OA (I have a medical degree). Also make sure your shoes aren't "run over" on the sides to put a strain on your knees. Good shoes are important. Hope that helps.
Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 04-19-2012, 04:48 AM

The shots didn't work for me. I took aleve for a long period, but pain got so bad (with bone on bone) I wound up having the replacement surgery. Right one done in Mar. of 11 and the left one done last Oct.. It seems so good to have no pain for the first time in years. Good luck with yours..........
Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 AM

glucosomine condroitin. It works with all the other stuff!!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 AM

Be sure to take the pain medication with food. They will eat a hole in your stomach if you don't. I have known two people who had perforated ulcers because of medications.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to investigate. I'm going to start taking Zyflamend. It came strongly recommended by a reliable friend. It has great reviews too. I am very careful to take all the Ibuprofen with food--but I still worry about how much I've taken and for how long. This herbal med will replace that.

First PT is at 7 AM Monday! :-)