Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
DH thinks I'm hearing things >

DH thinks I'm hearing things

DH thinks I'm hearing things

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM

Default DH thinks I'm hearing things

We have cable TV and in recent months the picture and sound have deteriorated. We called them a few weeks ago because the picture was really dark and they zapped our box and we now have a very bright and clear picture. Can't say the same for the sound, have called them several times and they zapped us again and then replaced our cable box. Everything is OK for a few days but slowly the loud sounds return.

Most times the voices sound clear and there is a light buzzing sound in the background. This tends to get louder with different scenes, especailly outdoor ones when it sounds like an old movie projector running in the background. Thought it might be our TV but when I click on the mute all sound is gone, so the TV isn't buzzing. Since my DH says he doesn't hear any of this I thought I'd ask if any of you experienced this? I know my hearing isn't what it used to be but could it be that it has gotten stronger? Maybe I'll soon be hearing sounds only dogs can hear? Only problem I can't run like a dog any longer. LOL!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about you - but I have an almost constant 'sound' that I 'hear' that I think sounds like a combination of high tension power lines and June bugs.

I can usually hear - more or less - 'around' or 'through' it, but it is annoying. And it's usually 'loudest' when I go to bed.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM

The sounds aren't constant as I only hear them when watching TV, this began a few weeks ago, As I mentioned it isn't all the time but when it starts it is for every program, day and night. After getting zapped (don't know what else to call is ) by the cable company the sound on the TV is clear for a few days and then slowly begins to deteriorate again.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM

The buzzing in your ears is tennitus (sp). I have it and it is very annoying. That is not what May is hearing, I am sure, as it would not stop with the MUTE button on the TV. I wish it would. Can't help with the cable problem, never heard of it before, but my SIL worked for them for a Long time, I'll ask him when I can. As for the Tennitus, white noise at night helps. Other than that, I've not found anything that helps!! Let me know if you do.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

i have bad service from C omcast but my t.v. has a fan that goes on loudly if my hubby watches it 24/7. the noise stops if i turn the t.v. off. I do get pixalated stations and/or the blue message box saying it will be available soon and never is. i pay for all this too! they need to come out and fix your problems. They seem to want to fix things these days so call for sure.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM

Haven't had cable for many years, but when we did, we had a problem with the sound. We lived in a newer housing tract (26 yrs now) and the cable was built into the neighborhood/houses all were pre-wired. The outside box was underground at every house and ours would flood if the grass was watered too much, or it rained. Got better picture and sound with $1 store rabbit ears. Maybe that is the problem.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I don't know about you - but I have an almost constant 'sound' that I 'hear' that I think sounds like a combination of high tension power lines and June bugs.

I can usually hear - more or less - 'around' or 'through' it, but it is annoying. And it's usually 'loudest' when I go to bed.
Ditto tho I explain mine as sounding like locust (is that what they're called?). Sometimes it's louder than others. Sometimes I can hardly hear it but other times it's almost a roar.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Not sure who your service provider or the type of housing you have but I'll tell you the short saga of a friend of mine. They have Comcast cable. Live in a townhouse community. Bought a new, digital HD TV for their living room. Have an existing digital HD TV in their downstairs family room and existing analog TV's in a guest room and their bedroom. Comcast charges them for converter boxes for ALL the TV's, even the digital that should not need one. Because Comcast can. Anyhow. After a few months, starting having reception issues on the new LR TV. Called Comcast. They came, they zapped, they left. A couple of weeks later, same story, same resolution. Then it progressed to only getting 2 stations on the analog stations. Comcast zapped repeatedly. They came to the house about 6-8 times. Finally, another appointment was scheduled. As far as my friend knew, they were a no-show. By now, she has completely lost it (but very politely because that's who she is) with Comcast and demanded they come back. Come to find out, the 'no show' was actually work done on a 'booster' component at a different location from her home. It sounds like you may have a similar situation. I can get the proper technical terms from her tomorrow night if you're interested.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Not hearing sounds on my TV but a few weeks ago the sound got so low I had to turn it all the way as loud as it would go to hear it. Seems to be working better now but some channels are lower than others.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM

I have ATT Uverse...the worst TV since the old three channel rabbit ears, if you ask me. I have a brand new digital HD TV in my bedroom that stays on all night, without sound (cause I like it for a night light...); and several times, in the middle of the night, I have been startled awake by a very loud voice coming from my TV. I'm going to call them BEFORE
I shoot the TV thinking someone has broken in...I really think it's all coming from AT&T. They offer the poorest service I can think of and the pricing is terrible as well. Direct TV, here I come (back, again!). Guess they haven't heard that we're not at their mercy any more...