Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DH thinks I'm hearing things

DH thinks I'm hearing things

We have cable TV and in recent months the picture and sound have deteriorated. We called them a few weeks ago because the picture was really dark and they zapped our box and we now have a very bright and clear picture. Can't say the same for the sound, have called them several times and they zapped us again and then replaced our cable box. Everything is OK for a few days but slowly the loud sounds return.

Most times the voices sound clear and there is a light buzzing sound in the background. This tends to get louder with different scenes, especailly outdoor ones when it sounds like an old movie projector running in the background. Thought it might be our TV but when I click on the mute all sound is gone, so the TV isn't buzzing. Since my DH says he doesn't hear any of this I thought I'd ask if any of you experienced this? I know my hearing isn't what it used to be but could it be that it has gotten stronger? Maybe I'll soon be hearing sounds only dogs can hear? Only problem I can't run like a dog any longer. LOL!

Power Poster
    I don't know about you - but I have an almost constant 'sound' that I 'hear' that I think sounds like a combination of high tension power lines and June bugs.

I can usually hear - more or less - 'around' or 'through' it, but it is annoying. And it's usually 'loudest' when I go to bed.

The sounds aren't constant as I only hear them when watching TV, this began a few weeks ago, As I mentioned it isn't all the time but when it starts it is for every program, day and night. After getting zapped (don't know what else to call is ) by the cable company the sound on the TV is clear for a few days and then slowly begins to deteriorate again.

Blog Entries
    The buzzing in your ears is tennitus (sp). I have it and it is very annoying. That is not what May is hearing, I am sure, as it would not stop with the MUTE button on the TV. I wish it would. Can't help with the cable problem, never heard of it before, but my SIL worked for them for a Long time, I'll ask him when I can. As for the Tennitus, white noise at night helps. Other than that, I've not found anything that helps!! Let me know if you do.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    i have bad service from C omcast but my t.v. has a fan that goes on loudly if my hubby watches it 24/7. the noise stops if i turn the t.v. off. I do get pixalated stations and/or the blue message box saying it will be available soon and never is. i pay for all this too! they need to come out and fix your problems. They seem to want to fix things these days so call for sure.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Haven't had cable for many years, but when we did, we had a problem with the sound. We lived in a newer housing tract (26 yrs now) and the cable was built into the neighborhood/houses all were pre-wired. The outside box was underground at every house and ours would flood if the grass was watered too much, or it rained. Got better picture and sound with $1 store rabbit ears. Maybe that is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I don't know about you - but I have an almost constant 'sound' that I 'hear' that I think sounds like a combination of high tension power lines and June bugs.

I can usually hear - more or less - 'around' or 'through' it, but it is annoying. And it's usually 'loudest' when I go to bed.
    Ditto tho I explain mine as sounding like locust (is that what they're called?). Sometimes it's louder than others. Sometimes I can hardly hear it but other times it's almost a roar.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Not sure who your service provider or the type of housing you have but I'll tell you the short saga of a friend of mine. They have Comcast cable. Live in a townhouse community. Bought a new, digital HD TV for their living room. Have an existing digital HD TV in their downstairs family room and existing analog TV's in a guest room and their bedroom. Comcast charges them for converter boxes for ALL the TV's, even the digital that should not need one. Because Comcast can. Anyhow. After a few months, starting having reception issues on the new LR TV. Called Comcast. They came, they zapped, they left. A couple of weeks later, same story, same resolution. Then it progressed to only getting 2 stations on the analog stations. Comcast zapped repeatedly. They came to the house about 6-8 times. Finally, another appointment was scheduled. As far as my friend knew, they were a no-show. By now, she has completely lost it (but very politely because that's who she is) with Comcast and demanded they come back. Come to find out, the 'no show' was actually work done on a 'booster' component at a different location from her home. It sounds like you may have a similar situation. I can get the proper technical terms from her tomorrow night if you're interested.

Not hearing sounds on my TV but a few weeks ago the sound got so low I had to turn it all the way as loud as it would go to hear it. Seems to be working better now but some channels are lower than others.

I have ATT Uverse...the worst TV since the old three channel rabbit ears, if you ask me. I have a brand new digital HD TV in my bedroom that stays on all night, without sound (cause I like it for a night light...); and several times, in the middle of the night, I have been startled awake by a very loud voice coming from my TV. I'm going to call them BEFORE
    I shoot the TV thinking someone has broken in...I really think it's all coming from AT&T. They offer the poorest service I can think of and the pricing is terrible as well. Direct TV, here I come (back, again!). Guess they haven't heard that we're not at their mercy any more...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

"Not hearing sounds on my TV but a few weeks ago the sound got so low I had to turn it all the way as loud as it would go to hear it. Seems to be working better now but some channels are lower than others. "

Us too. We had the volumn level at its highest to hear the TV. One of the Comcast 'zapps' we got changed that so now we have the volumn level in the middle or lower.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
    Not sure who your service provider or the type of housing you have but I'll tell you the short saga of a friend of mine. They have Comcast cable. Live in a townhouse community. Bought a new, digital HD TV for their living room. Have an existing digital HD TV in their downstairs family room and existing analog TV's in a guest room and their bedroom. Comcast charges them for converter boxes for ALL the TV's, even the digital that should not need one. Because Comcast can. Anyhow. After a few months, starting having reception issues on the new LR TV. Called Comcast. They came, they zapped, they left. A couple of weeks later, same story, same resolution. Then it progressed to only getting 2 stations on the analog stations. Comcast zapped repeatedly. They came to the house about 6-8 times. Finally, another appointment was scheduled. As far as my friend knew, they were a no-show. By now, she has completely lost it (but very politely because that's who she is) with Comcast and demanded they come back. Come to find out, the 'no show' was actually work done on a 'booster' component at a different location from her home. It sounds like you may have a similar situation. I can get the proper technical terms from her tomorrow night if you're interested.
    Hi Kim, We have Comcast and I would appreciate the proper technical terms as DH is planning to going down to their office.
    Last edited by May in Jersey; 05-07-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    I have ATT Uverse...the worst TV since the old three channel rabbit ears, if you ask me. I have a brand new digital HD TV in my bedroom that stays on all night, without sound (cause I like it for a night light...); and several times, in the middle of the night, I have been startled awake by a very loud voice coming from my TV. I'm going to call them BEFORE
    I shoot the TV thinking someone has broken in...I really think it's all coming from AT&T. They offer the poorest service I can think of and the pricing is terrible as well. Direct TV, here I come (back, again!). Guess they haven't heard that we're not at their mercy any more...
    We get those ear shattering messages, mostly in the middle of the night and you can't mute them. Hardly ever understood what they were saying but found out mainly of Amber Alerts for missing children.

Oh, Rebecca, I hear you... and that constant buzzing. I hear certain types of lightbulbs (fluorescent & high efficiency)and frequencies around the house... very annoying.

May - Sometimes our remote volumn gets out of wack with the TV volumn and it results in a buzzing. If the remote gets turned way down then someone else turns the TV volumn way up, it buzzes. Or the other way around - TV volumn down, remote turned way up to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Ditto tho I explain mine as sounding like locust (is that what they're called?). Sometimes it's louder than others. Sometimes I can hardly hear it but other times it's almost a roar.
    Shannon

When a program moves to the commercal the volume goes up high . I complain it is too loud but
    my DH says the stations always make them louder. He has worked in radio and TV.

Okey so I'm not deft and I blame him for turning it up too loud.
    You propably are getting the results of bad programing. Or a buzz on the line someplace too.

Blog Entries
    You're not hearing things, well things that are not there anyway. Women have better hearing than men. my hubby turns the volume up on the C omcast remote and also on the t.v. regular remote. That blasts me out of the main floor with him- I watch t.v. in the basement. when he's on the same channel that i'm on, i mute mine and just listen to his t.v.
    Those sounds you hear are there but companies will only do so much to help customers. Good luck!!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    The sounds aren't constant as I only hear them when watching TV, this began a few weeks ago, As I mentioned it isn't all the time but when it starts it is for every program, day and night. After getting zapped (don't know what else to call is ) by the cable company the sound on the TV is clear for a few days and then slowly begins to deteriorate again.
    Do you live in an area where they are building new homes? When we had cable our signal would get worse every time they added a new residence to the mix. They would boost our signal and things would be better for a little while---until they added more new residences---then it would be worse again. They were splitting the signal too many times. We finally gave up and got satellite tv.

NJS

Blog Entries
    I've heard that this problem will end by next year? Stations will no longer be able to increase volume for commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo Pierce View Post
    When a program moves to the commercal the volume goes up high . I complain it is too loud but
    my DH says the stations always make them louder. He has worked in radio and TV.

Okey so I'm not deft and I blame him for turning it up too loud.
    You propably are getting the results of bad programing. Or a buzz on the line someplace too.
    there are no mistakes, there's only a change of plan

Blog Entries
    Among other things, tinnitus is caused by a vast array of the pills you take. Aspirin being among them. Sometimes the "sound" not only gets louder, I can also feel it as a vibration. Sort of like zzzzzzzzzzzzzt going thru my head. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    there are no mistakes, there's only a change of plan

You may have developed tinnitus. It's a condition where you hear a sound that isn't there. It comes and goes for some people and is constant for others. See an Ear, Nose, Throat Dr to check it. It can be caused by something as benign as ear wax build up, but could also be a sign of more serious medical issues.

Blog Entries
    DH works on radios and chuckled because he has run across the same scenario as you. Says it is the capacitors in the high voltage power supply of your TV. Says one of ours does it sometimes. At least it is repairable. Most of the concerns we think are wierd or haunted are really a weak component. Good luck.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

Blog Entries
    my computer picks up someone on short wave radio. talk, talk, talk. Makes me crazy!! I can't mute him.

I hate COMCAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Donna

Hubby and I went with DirectV a few years ago. Except when we have very heavy rain storms we have had no problems. We did have Comcast but the underground cable runs under our dirt lane and the dirt lane next door where heavy duty and semis live in the back of our lane. The trucks would drive the gravel into the lines and mess up our reception. We must have five lines to our house and the last is as thick as your thumb!! We would have good reception for about a month and then things would get snowy. Finally had to do away with the cable and go with satelite system.

SUCCESS AT LAST, or so I hope. Finally convinced DH that we needed to have a Comcast serviceman come to our home to check out our sound problem. He arrived a short while ago and with one look, or should I say listen, he diagnosed our problem. Seems we were controlling the volumn through the cable box and not the TV, or the other way around. Anyway, he reset our remote and everything should be fine now. I don't have time to watch and listen to the TV today but will check it out fully tonight and over the next few days.

Thanks to all who had suggestions, it seems there are so many different problems with TV reception and, hopefully, there ae solutions for them all. May in Jersey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast