Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Paying More -- Getting Less >

Paying More -- Getting Less

Paying More -- Getting Less

Old 03-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Just came back from grocery shopping. Everything is getting smaller but the prices are going through the roof. Is anything still the same size?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by zennia
Just came back from grocery shopping. Everything is getting smaller but the prices are going through the roof. Is anything still the same size?
Milk is still the same size, but the price is going through the roof.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Originally Posted by raptureready
Smiles are still a cheap gift but worth more than gold. :-D :-D :-D
Not accepted as rent money, though. :|
Nope, I guess not. My parents had several rental properties and they expected their money too, late they would handle, not at all they got testy over.
Things are changing and it seems not for the better. I remember when our family of 8 could go to McDonalds and get all we could eat for less than $10. And, we could all fit in one regular old Chevy or Plymouth to get there.

Did you know that one of the last things to really go up in price (when other things started climbing) was the 5 cent Hershey bar? The owner thought that everyone should be able to enjoy chocolate at a reasonable price. When prices of supplies went up, he made the bar smaller. When prices went down the bars got bigger. He did that for years until the prices of supplies went so high that the nickel bar would have to be bite size. The company then started sticking to one size and movable rates.
Just a little trivia I picked up on tv a couple of months ago.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Toilet paper rolls are shorter (side to side).
Okay, so I'm not losing it, they really are smaller.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM

Don't get me started... I've noticed that for months now and have drastically changed my grocery shopping. Even the no name brand has gone up, like Target's mouthwash, it was $2.79 and now it's $3.49 but the Market Pantry Ice Cream half gallon is still $2.49 but only in two flavor (vanilla and chocolate). At Walmart the Great Values Bran Flakes was $1.79 and now it's $2.50. The more the prices go up, the more I don't buy.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM

As long as wages continue to increase so will the cost of living. I can remember when I could go a lot of miles on a dollar's worth of gas, but I can also remember how little I made per hour back then. Most of us have much more now than we did 30 or 40 years ago. I'm not trying to be argumentative; just trying to put things into perspective.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM

My DD is very organized. She shops for groceriess every two weeks. When she noticed that her bill was going up and up she looked at what it cost her about 18 months ago. Like most of us, she buys basically the same stuff every time. She is a very picky shopper and makes sure that bargains are really bargains. She found that her grocery bill for her family (they have two boys, 12 & 7) had gone up about $100 every two weeks but their wages have not gone up nearly that much. I don't know how families do it. As we all know, eating healthy is not cheap to begin with. For those of us on fixed incomes, it is even worse. We didn't even get a raise this year. Even if we had, it wouldn't have come close to matching how much everything has gone up. This year I am going back to canning everything I can grow and lay hands on.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Did you know that one of the last things to really go up in price (when other things started climbing) was the 5 cent Hershey bar? The owner thought that everyone should be able to enjoy chocolate at a reasonable price. When prices of supplies went up, he made the bar smaller. When prices went down the bars got bigger. He did that for years until the prices of supplies went so high that the nickel bar would have to be bite size. The company then started sticking to one size and movable rates.
Just a little trivia I picked up on tv a couple of months ago.
That's actually quite interesting. Thanks for posting it! I'm only a short drive from Hershey, PA. I bet if I ever get around to going there for something other than quilting, I'd hear that bit of lore.

Originally Posted by Darlene
Potato chips are now in a 11 oz bag when they used to be 16 oz. They are also a lot more expensive.
Darlene, your info is outdated already. The Lay's Sour Cream & Onion bag I have is 10 1/2 oz. :hunf:
I definitely buy fewer bags of chips, and most of the time wait for the sales.

Minda, you're right; there has always been that tug of war between prices and wages. One would think a sustainable balance could be reached, but it won't happen without some huge changes, if ever.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

In the last 18 months, my monthly grocery bill has almost doubled... and no, I am not buying any differently :roll: I understand when fuel went up, groceries and other items had to go up... but when the price went back down, why can't the prices reflect that too?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 PM

Funny that is my everyday saying" Pay more get less! Been saying that for a long time and it is becoming more evident each day! Cake mixes come in much smaller boxes these days!