PayPal wants my SS#

Old 10-03-2011, 06:28 AM

Sounds like a scam to me!!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

everybody asks for your SS# now. some have been doing it for years. i don't give mine out. when i got my cellphone the guy asked for my last 4 digits and i gave them to him before i realized it! hate that!! i've emailed the Whitehouse about this but got no real response back.
ID thieves are out there and i'm not giving my SS # out! period!! maybe to the hospital or employer or IRS. no one else.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:35 AM

Ladies, former cop here. It IS great to be very, very cautious about giving out ss#. However, there are some instances where you will have to give it to someone as required by law. I might suggest "Life Lock" or a similar ID theft protection service. It is a great service and LL does a great job. Since then, I have had LL contact me 4 times and "catch" someone in the act. Bravo for being cautious, but the idiot clerk at your place of employment can steal your number from a file on lunch break much easier than you think.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:45 AM

Do not send them your SS#, it is a spoof email, if you contact paypal they should have an email you can send them to, same for any banks.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 AM

I got an email from them last week saying "my account" needed updating. I deleted it.Will deal with that issue the next time I buy something -- which won't be any time soon. Circle the wagons.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:21 AM

I got the same message too and DID NOT give my SS#. I had only just joined Paypal!!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
This is true...I worked for Soc Sec...do not give out your no. A tax ID is not your Soc Security no...That is issued to you when you call IRS and ask them to issue you a Tax ID no. for reporting Self Employment income...i.e. selling on ebay up to 200 or 20,000...NEVER give out your SOC SEC No...
I agree. A tax ID is not your SS #. They are assuming that you are a small business with that many transactions. I have delt with Paypal for years and have not had that come up for me. I guess I haven't used it as much. But, again, a tax ID is NOT your SS#.
You have to file either in your state or with the IRS to get one.
Your tax ID can be EITHER your SS number OR an EIN number. You can have just a federal EIN or both a federal and state EIN.

Your tax ID can also be an ITIN.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Stopped using PayPal when they said after $5,000 in purchases I had to give them my bank account number instead of using my credit card number....they said they would still use my credit card, but need to have my bank account number. This was legit, I called paypal and asked if this was their policy....they said yes.
Then a year later, they sent an email stating, they had not seen any activity and would like to have me back, boy did I give them an ear full! It is inconvenient, but I am not giving my bank account nor SS# to anyone where they could use my credit card, money order or cashiers check as payment. BTW there was a bill introduced this year to assess a 1% charge (goes to Washington) on all banking and financial transactions, transfers, check cashing, stock purchases etc. The bill hasn't gone anywhere and hopefully it won't....
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 AM

DO NOT **REPEAT** Do NOT give your SS number. Follow up on need for TAX ID number but DO NOT give over internet.

So glad you asked, sure would hate for you to wind up with a big mess such as ID THEFT.

Be Safe, check this out!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:36 AM

Don't do it, it is probably a scam. Contact Paypal and ask them. If they don't want it sent them the email and they will look into it for you.