Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: pc has updated by itself

pc has updated by itself

I use Mozilla and gmail and now every page has ads which I 'x' out but they are everywhere. They are on the QB, what is going on and how can I get rid of this annoying that has been forced on me.

I am having the same problem.

Welcome to the real world. Ads are how websites make money, which allows them to post content without charging the readers. You can get an ad blocker. I don't know how well they work, because frankly I have become accustomed to the ads, and since they target my interests 99% of the time, I actually find them helpful occasionally. I do block the pop-up ads though, and the ones that automatically play videos.

Check again to make sure you have the latest update version. Sometimes the updates cause issues and have additional updates.

Don't think you can. I use Chrome and the ad is at the top of QB.

If you are running Mozilla/Firefox they are aware of this issue:

Do Not remove, delete or disable any add-ons in question(that are in red).

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019...ns-in-firefox/

We just have to wait for a hotfix.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I have AdBlock Plus, it's a free download, just Google it. Don't have the ads at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
    I have AdBlock Plus, it's a free download, just Google it. Don't have the ads at all.
    If using Mozilla/Firefox they have it disabled. They suggest not messing with it until a fix can be deployed.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

This is almost as annoying, unsolicited phone calls!

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    This is almost as annoying, unsolicited phone calls!
    I fully agree that it is annoying, I only want to see 'what I want to see'. I will check with my pc guy to get his call on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    I fully agree that it is annoying, I only want to see 'what I want to see'. I will check with my pc guy to get his call on this matter.
    From my previous post.

If you are running Mozilla/Firefox they are aware of this issue:

Do Not remove, delete or disable any add-ons in question(that are in red).

We just have to wait for a hotfix.

Thanks for the info re Mozilla and the adblocker. I'm seeing ads everywhere this AM! Usually my local news site pops up a 'please disable your adblocker' notice. No adblocker notice and ads everywhere. Hopefully mozilla will get this resolved soon.

I'm having the same problem and I tried to reinstall Ublock and I'm not able to. What a pain!

Guess I will wait it out and see what my pc guy knows about it. He uses Team Viewer to 'straighten' things out on my pc, I do not remove anything.

Could you change to a different browser? Maybe search "What browsers support Ad blocker plus?" for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    If using Mozilla/Firefox they have it disabled. They suggest not messing with it until a fix can be deployed.
    No wonder I saw ads everywhere yesterday. I thought my Adblocker Plus had uninstalled itself. I tried to reinstall and it wasn't available, so I installed AdGuard instead. So far it's working wonderfully well. No ads.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    No wonder I saw ads everywhere yesterday. I thought my Adblocker Plus had uninstalled itself. I tried to reinstall and it wasn't available, so I installed AdGuard instead. So far it's working wonderfully well. No ads.
    The issue has been fixed:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...paign=whatsnew

Here is the blog that is highlighted:

I have an adblocker on both Edge and Chrome (AdBlock Plus) - so far the latest update from MS hasn't caused issues.
    My issue is with the pages that ask to have the blocker disabled because they need the revenue from the ads to be able to provide content free. If the dratted ads didn't slow everything down so much or cover everything up, I would happily allow ads. So someone is shooting themselves in the foot! Most information is available somewhere for free.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    Finally all is back to normal again with No annoying ads. Was too busy to even talk with my pc guy and am pleased members on the board have way more knowledge about computers than I do.
    Just like you had told us, all will be well.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-07-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Finally all is back to normal again with No annoying ads. Was too busy to even talk with my pc guy and am pleased members on the board have way more knowledge about computers than I do.
    Just like you had told us, all will be well.
    Happy to help. We are family here and helping each other is what we are good at.

what to do about the Mozilla/Firefox updates

Chasing Hawk,I have a notice to refresh my Firefox but do not know what to do. I do not understand all what it is saying about what it removes or leaves.
    Please advise me as to how to handle this matter.
    Thank you

Chasing Hawk,I have a notice to refresh my Firefox but do not know what to do. I do not understand all what it is saying about what it removes or leaves.
    Please advise me as to how to handle this matter.
    Thank you
    To refresh your browser, shut it down to your desktop and restart it. That usually works for me.

The help tab above the toolbar has stuff related to Firefox/Mozilla. The very bottom one "about firefox" if you click on that it will let you know your up to date. Here is a link to what the release notes: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...d-known-issues
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 05-10-2019 at 07:02 PM.

I found the 'about firefox' and it is up to date, thank you for your guidance.

I woke up the other day and it was magically fixed. Yay!