A pet peeve..checks....

Old 04-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

And most of the time you have to wait.. either for the doc to come in , so why not start writing ahead of time , in a grocery store, you wait for the person in front of you . I very seldom write checks anymore , it is just so much easier to pull out the card :wink:
Old 04-20-2010, 05:55 AM

I'm so used to paying with my debit/credit card that I am actually shocked when I have to pay with a check. I enjoy going on-line, paying my bills, and be finished in 5 minutes instead of waiting on the post office to mail it & it might get there in a couple of days.

(had a couple of mishaps with mailing payments in so that's why I pay on-line now)
Old 04-20-2010, 05:57 AM

I don't use checks hardly at all any more. Paying bill online or using a debit card is so much easier. I have been behind people in line in some stores (Costco, WalMart) where they right a check, the cashier runs it through there cash register and then hand the check back to the customer. Has anyone else seen this? Seems like a lot of work for nothin'. :lol:
Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
I don't use checks hardly at all any more. Paying bill online or using a debit card is so much easier. I have been behind people in line in some stores (Costco, WalMart) where they right a check, the cashier runs it through there cash register and then hand the check back to the customer. Has anyone else seen this? Seems like a lot of work for nothin'. :lol:
yes, i have seen it..i thought it was way straange too!
Old 04-20-2010, 06:06 AM

I use checks mainly for paying for bills, guess it's a holdover from when I was a bookkeeper many years ago. Funny I never liked having my checkbook in my purse for fear someone would steal it but have no fear carrying my credit card in my purse.

I always drop any mail that has a check in it at the post office. Years ago a gang of thiefs went through our area breaking into post office boxes in strip malls and on street corners, they accessed our joint account and my personal checking account. Come to think of it the only place I've seen a post office box recently is in front of the post office. May in Jersey
Old 04-20-2010, 06:26 AM

We have BofA...I do ALL my banking with them. I tell it to pay the utilities so much a month and they're paid and sent. I don't buy stamps very often and I hardly ever write a check. In fact, I've been down to my last 25 checks for 2 yrs now. I, too, have gotten caught behind someone who waits till the last minute. Just last week I was in line at the grocery store and the little lady yakked away at the cashier. When it was totaled she opened her purse and started rummaging to LOOK for her checkbook!!! ARRRRGH!!! I grabbed a magazine and started reading....it calmed me down.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
About the only thing I write a check for is the school cafeteria. They don't take debit, credit or cash.
And church too ~ the only other check I write is for the property taxes ~ they charge a processing fee if you use debit/credit cards.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
About the only thing I write a check for is the school cafeteria. They don't take debit, credit or cash.
And church too ~ the only other check I write is for the property taxes ~ they charge a processing fee if you use debit/credit cards.
Yea, church too, I don't want am ATM machine in our church.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:41 AM

I write checks still, for lots of things; and it has made me very nervous before to hear people behind me sighing or complaining to the person they are with. I have a debit card; but still want that written proof for some things, and it is my right. The world has become very fast and people get so used to it, they lose their ability to be patient.
I am not trying to make anyone feel uncomfortable; just expressing the feelings on the other side of the story.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

I still write checks for most everything. I have had people at stores get irritated because I pay with CASH MONEY. I always buy more than they do and figure I have every right to pay with however method I choose. Large stores have express lanes and those are the ones they should go to, I won't let them ahead of me either, I figure they are no better than me, if I can wait they can too. At my Doctor's office there is only one person at a time paying, never a line. No problem how long I want to take.