A pet peeve..checks....

Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Google Goddess

mainly pays by debit card
Old 04-20-2010, 10:17 AM

I write a few checks a month still - my space rent & utility bill (all-in-one) & my friend that does my hair. I try to have cash for my co-pay when I go to the Dr., but had to write a check for that yesterday. But, since I know how much my co-pay is, I wrote the check while I was waiting for them to open the window (love having the 1st appt of the day!).
Other than that, I use online bill-pay thru' my bank, debit card at the grocery store.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:26 AM

I never write checks. But I do keep one in my purse just inc case I would need it. Same with stamps - we have some, but everytime I use them I am worried the price went up and I didn't notice :)

The bad part is with a debit card, I normally don't even keep cash on hand anymore. I am more likley to spend it that way also, but when I want to buy girl scout cookies I can't! :)
Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 AM

I use checks for all my bills and for some co-pays. If I use it for co-pays, I always write it ahead of time except my signature.

I always paid with cash before, however for one of my doctors who switched practices I was double billed. Since I had shredded my statement and the receipt, I felt it was easier to just pay again. I don't drive so I couldn't go to my bank. This has happened twice.

Now I keep my receipt and also have a copy of the check for at least a year.

I do feel that people should fill them out ahead of time. Even when they go grocery shopping. It really bugs me when I get in the shortest line and the person in front of me decides they need to write a check and digs for the checkbook.

I love my ATM card!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM

I never write checks either, unless I have to. Its so much easier to use that debit card!
~Bj~
Old 04-20-2010, 03:03 PM

I write some checks, but not as many as I used to

I like to take as much money as I need out of the ATM each week, and use that for groceries and stuff

why are so many cashiers surprised when I give them $$ ??

getting to the point in Australia that giving change is a fading skill
Old 04-20-2010, 03:26 PM

I very seldom write a check anymore. I use my debit card but had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago. My bank called and asked me if I had used my debit card in Florida. I said of course not, I'm in OKC! It seems someone had gotten my debit card number and was using it in Florida, but the bank caught it very quickly, it was only used 4 times. But I had to get a new debit card that 2 weeks to get to me. I hated using cash or checks.

The bank said there are many ways people get our numbers. I almost always use my debit card as a charge because my banker told me last year it was much safer because you don't have to put in your PIN number.

Everything was refunded to me and I am still nervous, but I guess I won't go back to checks.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM

I only write checks to the gardener every month and once a year for IRS and state taxes. I don't mind when someone at the grocery does, but it would be really nice if they at least put in the name and date while their purchases are being rung up. It's the waiting until the end that gets my goat.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM

Yes, mostly for utility bills and rent payments, and for anything I pay through the mail, such as taxes or magazine subscriptions. It is exceedingly rare that I would write one out in a store or a doctor's office. I would more likely use a debit card or cash. (I use credit cards only if they're corporate cards, for work.)
Old 04-20-2010, 03:42 PM

Checks have become a thing of the past. I carry one in my billfold, just in case. Chances are the vendor wouldn't accept it! LOL! I love that we've moved on to online paying or other methods. Now you know why the postal service is hurting!