A pet peeve..checks....

Old 04-20-2010, 03:58 PM

I use checks, bad experiance with the debit card. I keep a better record with checks, I don't care if anyone gets upset while I write it out.
At walmart all you have to do is sign the check give it to the cashier it processes just like a debit card,it doesn't take any longer than someone who has to hunt for thier card, slides it a few times because it might not go thru and then punch in a pin # that they don't always get right the first time.
At the Doc's office, you shouldn't be that close behide. give them privacy they need. when I go to the doctors I sign in,have a seat, recpt. calls me to the window and give her the info. I don't spend as much shopping if I pay cash.
Not that long ago I used my debit card a store. someone stole my information! they wait in a car and use some kind of device that hacks your information as you are swiping that card. the next day I had charges against my account.
so if you are worried about the account # on the check I think it is easier to steal from a charge card.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:46 AM

I write checks for everything, bills, gas, groceries, copays, drugs (drugstore) - everything. We only use a credit card for a major purchase or repairs on our car (30 day guarantee thing). The only problem I have had is the dorks that pay with a check and don't have the money to cover it. For 50 years my husband and I have had a checking account and have never had an overdraft and now we are being penalized because different fast food restaurants (Wendy's, McDonald's, Burger King, Arby's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster) don't accept checks. I don't keep much cash in my wallet. Works for us~! Edie
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
I don't use checks hardly at all any more. Paying bill online or using a debit card is so much easier. I have been behind people in line in some stores (Costco, WalMart) where they right a check, the cashier runs it through there cash register and then hand the check back to the customer. Has anyone else seen this? Seems like a lot of work for nothin'. :lol:
the reason they do that is it checks to see if there are returned checks(bad) from that account,,so retailers are trying to save themselves some grief and money ,and check ahead of time
Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I was treasurer for two years for my guild and I wrote and signed every check. When it was time for the new treasurer to take over Bank of America said my name was never added to the checking account. I was not approved to write checks from that account. That's when the bank admitted they don't check the signatures on the checks anymore. I could have signed it any name I wanted. Most stores have auto check filling now. Just hand them a check and they hand it back.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 PM

The new process of paying by check around here is, you sign the check, hand it to the cashier. The register scans the check, fills in the amount and pay to part, then cashier gives you back the check. It's quite fast, and your account # isn't out there for anyone to see.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Use a debit card for just about everything. I do keep one check and two tens in my wallet just in case. I seem to keep better track of my money that way. DH insists on cash for everything and spends a lot of time trying to figure out where the money went. We do pay the majority of the bills online.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM

I rarely write a check, I do most of my bill paying online and I use PayPal for a lot of purchases, and my ATM card for most everything else. I have checks though, just in case.

My mother steadfastly refused to get with the technology. She wrote checks, hung up on automated messages, never pumped her own gas, you get the picture. Whenever I see someone writing a check, it reminds me of my mom, and how much I miss her, so I just sigh and wait patiently until they're done.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM

I do, believe it or not, I live in a very rural town in SW VA and my bank does not have debit cards yet. We are so far backward, they will never catch up. We just got 911 about 15 years ago.
Dee
Old 04-21-2010, 07:50 PM

I haven't carried my checkbook in years but I do keep one in my wallet just in case. We only write a handful of checks (house payment, some utilities) and pay most utilities (including real property taxes) online or by auto-pay. Some utilities charge a percentage of the payment as a fee to pay with a debit/credit card - those we write checks for.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

yep, i use checks. i like paying by mail too. hubby likes to pay online but there are so many hackers out there that i am scared they will get into our Bank accounts that way.
so when i get to see a statement- i take it and mail off a check!