phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai
We moved to Texas from Pennsylvania just before I started third grade. Mom was helping me with my homework, and just about blew a fuse. I still remember her calling my teacher on the phone at home and saying:

"I don't care WHERE we are living, "TIN" and "TEN" and "TAN" are NOT homonyms!"

You see, with a proper southern or texan accent, they are all pronounced "Tayen"! LOL

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47
LOL, BNC! I also get (more than) a little irked when I see mispelled words, odd uses for punctuation marks, and poor grammar, to name a few. I've threatened that, in my next life, I'm coming back as an English teacher with an emphasis on grammar, spelling, and punctuation! (Currently, I'm a nurse, and it bugs the h*** out of me to see many of the medical terms mispelled...you get my drift. I'll quit venting...
They don't teach phonics like they did when I started school.I seen that twenty yrs ago when my two kids started school.Thats why they were selling the hooked on phonics backtwenty yrs ago an still need it back in schools now.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:30 PM

LISANNE

Anymore is in the dictionary as one word............

so I guess that makes it A/ok to use !!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne

So is it still that way, and why on Earth do people use "frightful" and fearful" when talking about things that aren't scary?
Shouldn't terrific be in there too?
Although, I have never heard anyone use frightful or fearful when they're not talking about scary things. Not around here anyway :)
Old 12-01-2009, 05:43 PM

One time a lady I worked with (not real educated) signed a card wrong. This lady was sending her man friend a plant because they were doing the United Way thing & kept having each other put in jail (all in fun). It is a fund rasier. Well the coworker signed the card . "This is a piece offering" It should have been a "peace offering." Well the guy's wife nearly went thru the roof. She wanted to know what kind of piece it was. Caused quite a lot of friction in an already troubled marriage. Owner had to do a lot of apologizing for employee's mistake. It really was funny. I guess we can understand how hard it is for people to learn the english language.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM

I agree, Dizzy!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Ouch!!! DebraMc that could have been a very costly error :shock: I am glad that they worked it out!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:06 PM

for some unknown reason, Idahoans use the word came in the worst way! "I would have came over if I knew you were there," or "I worked on everything that had came across my desk today." Ugh!
The other one that gets me is untighten. "Untighten the screw." Uh, does that me unloosen? :-P I've heard some pretty funny stuff doing tech support!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM

hehehe, I had a girl friend say to the male sears worker today at the checkout, "Do you have a big hose?" What she wanted to say was "Do you have the bigger shopvac hoses?" Needless to say, she cracked up the entire population in the tool department at sears :mrgreen: and I nearly wet my pants... DH just shook his head and walked away muttering something about taking girls places.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:17 PM

it helps to turn the orders over then upside down, back away three feet, and squint your eyes... in the end they all say, 'NPO after midnight, golightly 2hrs prior to procedure' :shock: