Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Platinum or yellow gold??  I just don't know! >

Platinum or yellow gold?? I just don't know!

Platinum or yellow gold?? I just don't know!

Old 07-23-2017, 07:10 AM

My wedding band is platinum with 3 rows of diamonds...I''ve been married 55 years this past May 26th, and we had our initials engraved on the inside of the band, and you can still read them like it was when new...love my ring and especially the guy that put it on my finger.. I do have some beautiful gold ring guards that I wear with it, when I go out..just at home I don't wear the guards..but get lots of compliments on my rings...good luck getting what you want and enjoy wearing them...
Old 07-23-2017, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

diamonds always look best in platinum to me. these days people mix gold and white gold and platinum jewelry.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

DO what you like! Personally, I find that silver tones don't look the best against my skin tone, so I stick with mostly gold tones.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

why not get it in yellow gold. the halo will be in white gold with white prongs. if you decide you want white gold, get it dipped in rhodium, what they dip white god and silver in to give it 'that' shine. you could always buff the white off in the future, or, if youre like me, your skil will eat thru the white. I have a yellow diamond 1 ct band, and my engagement ring is in white. I sold jewelry for about 20 yrs, styles come and go. white gold took off a few yrs ago when gold hit top prices. silver was hot, but it tarnished, so they started to rhodium plate the silver to look like gold. All of my jewelry, except my engagement ring and larimar , are in yello gold. please show us what you get.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

for those of you who have white gold with a cast of yellow, get it replted in rhodium. that's how it was originally done. that's what gives white gold that super high shine. it's fairly inexpensive to do. if you're in good with your jeweler, he'll probably do it for nothing.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 AM

I have a "winter" complexion, so I wear silver jewelry.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I love platinum. My engagement ring is 18 ct white gold but when we bought our wedding bands we got 14 ct. white gold, not realizing the difference. So my band has a bit of a yellowish cast to it. But it's probably only noticeable to me. I have a platinum and diamond ring that was my grandmother's. It's gorgeous.
I honestly don't think your diamonds will look larger or smaller though depending on which you choose. Just get what you like!
Old 07-23-2017, 11:42 AM

It may depend on your complexion. Color Me Beautiful is another thing out of style, but it did a good job of making decisions like this easy. My skin is peachy with yellow undertones, so it's yellow gold for me. Pink with blue undertones, then it's silver or platinum.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I wear yellow and white gold. I always buy a watch that has both those colors.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

As already said ... get what you like the most.

Some people's skin do look better with gold or silver .... so it may be worth a consideration.
Or perhaps will muddy the thoughts!

Another thought ... how about mixing the metals.
There are some lovely setting that have white and yellow gold .... or one of my most favourite is to see tri-golds together.

It really goes back to my first comment ........... get what you like!
(and phooey on everyone else! )