Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Platinum or yellow gold??  I just don't know! >

Platinum or yellow gold?? I just don't know!

Platinum or yellow gold?? I just don't know!

Old 07-24-2017, 01:27 AM

The wedding set I have now is platinum got a new set for my 50th, my original engagement ring had an 18ct yellow band but the diamond was set in platinum, jeweller advised this as platinum highlighted diamond (emerald cut -square diamond) go with what you think you are drawn to best as you will wear it for a long time and you want to love it.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

If you love the yellow gold get the yellow gold. There is no ( right/wrong) other than what you like is Right.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Get what YOU love. I wear platinum just because it is so much more durable and I never remember to take my rings off when I am working in the dirt or whatever. Ring searching is like the internet, overwhelming with SO many choices.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:15 PM

I have a yellow gold wedding set (over 40 yrs), but I do wear mostly silver jewelry now. I do actually mix them. I have several earrings that are both yellow gold and silver. I have seen many halo styles that you mentioned and mostly see white gold. If I were to re set my ring, I would go with white gold (platinum). Also, I think they can use the yellow gold in your current setting or at least buy it from you. Good luck! You're going to love your new ring setting!!
Old 08-04-2017, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
why not get it in yellow gold. the halo will be in white gold with white prongs.
Thank you Lynnie. I asked my jeweler to ask Scott Kay (the maker of the ring) to do just that -- the center prongs and halo in platinum and the rest of the ring in yellow gold. It took several days and even though they haven't done it before, they agreed to do it for me!

it will be delivered in about a month! I am so excited
Old 08-23-2017, 11:44 AM

I know white metals are the preference these days, but to me, they look like sterling to me -- which, being cheaper than gold, always looks cheap to me. Just my opinion. No offense to those who have/prefer white metals.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:01 PM

I see you came upon a solution! I bet it looks great with mixed metals. The most important thing is that it suits YOU!

Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
I know white metals are the preference these days, but to me, they look like sterling to me -- which, being cheaper than gold, always looks cheap to me. Just my opinion. No offense to those who have/prefer white metals.
That's funny, I've always preferred white gold because to me, yellow gold is what looks cheap! Growing up, anything I had that was "gold" was just cheaply plated and turned me green, but anything silver was usually real. And so now that's my preference, I just don't like yellow gold for myself. Just goes to show, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! (And, no offense taken! The world would be so boring if we all thought the same way.)

I don't even wear my engagement ring anymore, it sticks up too high and I banged it against everything and I was afraid I'd lose the diamond so I put it up. I am too hard on rings in general, I just wear a simple (white gold) band and that's it. I destroy everything else!
Old 08-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
As already said ... get what you like the most.

Another thought ... how about mixing the metals.
There are some lovely setting that have white and yellow gold .... or one of my most favourite is to see tri-golds together.
That's a good point. I have a diamond ring that belonged to my mother. She had her original wedding ring diamonds set with some that my father inherited from his mother. She had them use white and yellow gold so that it would go with anything. I think its a lovely ring.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:05 PM

I love the look of Platinum, Gold makes me itch.

My wedding ring is made from an Austrian Schilling. My husband's Grandfather carved while in the service, gave it to his wife when he returned home.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:57 AM
Power Poster

Speaking of rings- my oldest son is getting married and I have 2 diamond rings that belonged to my grandmother, One I wear daily but the other I don't. Was thinking of giving it to him for her but can't part with it yet. I hope to give it to a granddaughter one day anyway.