Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Platinum or yellow gold??  I just don't know! >

Platinum or yellow gold?? I just don't know!

Platinum or yellow gold?? I just don't know!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:09 PM

Default Platinum or yellow gold?? I just don't know!

I am getting a new setting for my wedding solitaire. The current setting is yellow gold (as is most of my jewelry from over the years). The setting I was very excited about today has a halo of diamonds to go around my diamond as well as diamonds on the band. The company makes it in either metal.

I like yellow gold but I'm afraid if I go with it, the diamonds around it will look smaller and it will look old fashioned (99.9% of all rings in the stores are white gold or platinum).

I have spent a year looking for a ring with both metals, but none have excited me.

This is a big decision and I'm afraid I'll get it wrong!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:39 PM

I have yellow gold in most of my jewelry also. I'd be more concerned about how platinum will look with your existing jewelry. I always buy yellow gold because it goes better with my other jewelry.

I also wouldn't worry about not looking "in style" now. What is in style now will be out of style in a few years anyway. Unless you replace your bands every 7 or 8 years they are bound to look dated.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 07-22-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:02 AM

Now I am not a fashionista, so I may not be the best person to listen to, but I would go with whichever one you like best. And if that doesn't work, go with the one that will best match the rest of your jewellery.

Also, for what it's worth, I kind of *like* the idea of my wedding band looking dated (or at least not brand-spanking-new). To me that indicates the marriage is long-lasting, which is kinda what I'm aiming for (not the only thing, but you know what I mean!). I suppose you could always claim "vintage", which is *very* 'in' right now!!

But yeah, basically what cashs_mom said.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:35 AM

Use whatever makes you happy. Both metals 'play well' with each other
I have & wear jewelry of both colors & have many items that use both colors at the same time. IE watch band in silver & gold, gold eternity band with silver guard band. No problem. They look fine & I see no conflict at all in mixing.
Whatever you do- make You happy !

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-23-2017 at 03:22 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 07-23-2017, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

i think most jewelry looks good mixed, like a scrappy quilt
Old 07-23-2017, 04:02 AM

I've been told them use different diamonds depending on the color metal that will go around them. My mother gave me her old wedding set which I knew I'd never wear in that fashion and after 15 years I decided to have it turned into a bracelet. As your setting was in white gold and I'm a fan of yellow gold I had them put a bexel in white gold around each diamond then connect each to a yellow gold piece between. I wear that bracelet quite often now. Some of my antique jewerly I find has the white gold around the diamonds and then they added the band in yellow gold. As someone mentioned the rules these days are to wear whatever you like, not worrying about which color metal they're set in..............so I do.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:13 AM

As others have said, people mix their colors these days and styles change. Do what you like and enjoy.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:10 AM

A new ring. How exciting?! Personally, I would stick with yellow gold, if all my other jewelry was yellow gold. But you should buy what works best for you. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:21 AM

I love silver, absolutely love it. But years ago I was told to wear yellow gold for my complexion. So all my jewelry including my wedding ring is yellow gold. But I love silver/white gold and now have many pieces in that color and I wear it with the yellow gold of my wedding band. Going with the fad isn't a good choice as everything changes. I remember when having avocado and gold appliances in the kitchen were the thing to have. Buy what makes your heart sing ! My Aunt has a wedding ring made of platinum and it's very old now, but still very pretty.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:14 AM

I mix the colors all the time and love it. Now if that is fashion correct or not I really don't care, I like it. My first wedding set was silver but for 40th we got new in white gold. While I love my new ring, same diamond, I still like my silver set better. The white gold has a yellow cast to me. My jewelry is gold, silver, pewter, copper and I mix it all up for my mood when I put it on. Where what makes you happy!

Last edited by rainbowzebra; 07-23-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: My