PLEASE PLEASE READ!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of your fire. Thank you for warning the rest of us.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry this happened to you, and I hope you recover from your loss. Thank you for the warning as well, although my husband doesn't plug anything related to computers or TV unless it is plugged into a ground fault protected extension cord. Again, my heart goes out to you and hopefully no one was hurt by the fire.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Thanks. Will do this especially at our cabin where the stuff is old.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:10 AM

I'm , as I know you are, Thankful that everyone survived! I went around my house checking to see if we had any extension cords. We also are having a short some where in our electric too. We have only grounded strips to plug things into. Thank you so much for posting this to warn us. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this now, it is hard, I had a fire years ago and we lost everything, but it was the water companies fault, they were thawing out frozen lines and we had gas appliances and boom! Prayers for you that everything gets better for you real soon! :)
Old 10-24-2011, 11:16 AM

condolences
Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 AM

So sorry to hear of your loss - thank you for the reminder, especially since we will be going into the Holiday season - christmas lights, decorations, etc.

Will definitely make sure that the $2.00 electric cords are thrown out.

When you are ready to start quilting/sewing again, let me know - would love to send you are care package.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 PM

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune, but VERY glad no one was hurt. Hope your kitty is OK too!

You are so right about cheapy extension cords!

If you live in a lightning prone area [face it who doesn't] or have frequent power outages, these cords can catch fire from the power surges and brown outs that accompany them. And believe me there is no warning for power surges as we all sleep sometime!

Most appliances state not to use an extension cord because they can quickly overheat even when they don't appear to be in use.

There are plenty of high quality fairly inexpensive surge protectors and 3-prong appliance extension cords at Home Depot, and they are worth the investment.

Remember that surge protectors need to be monitored. Its easiest to do this on a model that has a light to show when the protection is getting low.

Thank you for thinking of the rest of us in your time of tragedy: you are most kind.

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I've just had a house fire because of a stupid $2 extension cord. I had 2 things plugged into it that were not in use and it fried. I probably have close to $100k in damages because of this.

Please, please, please, go around your homes and get rid of those cords and replace either with strips or 3 prong cords. You really don't want what has transpired happening, this is not fun at all. I've lost both of my machines in this, tons of my notions and fabrics. Some I can't even find! Disintegrated!!! All my projects, gone! Pressies, gone!

We lucked out that we were home when it happened or I would not have a house. That is not worth a $2 item on any budget.

Please keep yourself and your families safe!!!! Especially with the holidays coming, everyone uses those cords. Don't! Please.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM

So sorry this happened to you, but so glad you and your family are ok.

It is good to spread the word. I am married to a fireman-I always think he is paranoid when it comes to cords, extension cords, and power strips--but on the other hand glad he is. He always tells me to unplug my iron, even though it is an auto shut-off--they can still cause a fire. I have also stopped using extension cords with my sewing machine and lighting. They are plugged into a power strip with surge protection for safety, as are all the plugs for TV and DVD players' cords, computer cords, and of course, Christmas tree lights--all go into a power strip with surge protection.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I've just had a house fire because of a stupid $2 extension cord. I had 2 things plugged into it that were not in use and it fried. I probably have close to $100k in damages because of this.

Please, please, please, go around your homes and get rid of those cords and replace either with strips or 3 prong cords. You really don't want what has transpired happening, this is not fun at all. I've lost both of my machines in this, tons of my notions and fabrics. Some I can't even find! Disintegrated!!! All my projects, gone! Pressies, gone!

We lucked out that we were home when it happened or I would not have a house. That is not worth a $2 item on any budget.

Please keep yourself and your families safe!!!! Especially with the holidays coming, everyone uses those cords. Don't! Please.
So sorry for your losses, thank goodness you were home and that everyone got out safely. Most people do not realize how very fast fires go to flashpoint and don't respond quickly. Thaks for sharing your story.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Thank you for your words of wisdom. So sorry you had this happen. I will take heed, as I tend to leave my machine plugged in (but turned off), and will start being more careful today!! Blessings ~~~~~