possible new (deaf) dog

Old 12-05-2010, 03:17 PM

springers are very good at following directions ask if where you are getting him from if they used sign language with him if not find out where you can take lessons for both of you. my kids grew up with one and was very tolerant of the kids
Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Our cocker spaniel became deaf at about 8 years old - she had terrible ear problems, so the vet removed them. As she reached closer to her 16 years, she also had severe cataracts. The only problem we ever had was waking her up to go out - my neigbor sometimes helped us with this. you had to stomp the floor so she knew you were coming. Or, you could put your hand in front of her nose so she could smell you. That way we didn't startle her. As for "listening", she always looked back at us to see where we were and what we might want her to do. Most people never realized she was deaf and almost blind.

If the rescue people are willing to give you some advice and direction for training, I'd say go for it. I bet he/she is a wonderful dog.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:14 PM

I have a deaf dog. He responds to hand signals and thumps on the floor. He's very smart. The only time his deafness is an issue is when he's running ahead of me off leash (and that only happened once on his second day with me).

There's a special collar for deaf dogs so you can get their attention in that kind of situation. It's unnecessary for us as my dog is obedient and keeps me in his sights.

He has an interesting voice due to the deafness. It's amusing to see people react to him.

He wakes up more often than my other dog. He scans the area to make sure everything is secure. Then goes back to sleep. We call it periscoping because that's what it looks like.

I bonded with this dog exactly as I've bonded with all other dogs. No difference at all. He likes a chew toy, petting, walks and an occasional snack. He greets me with the same excitement at the door as my other dog. And, he's the one to alert that I've returned. I see him in the window when I get home. Speaking to a dog is completely unnecessary unless he has his back to you and he's running into traffic.

If you decide to get the dog, post some pix! :0)
Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM

We had a dog that was deaf. He belonged to MIL so we had know him all of his life. It seemed as if he went totally deaf almost overnight.

It was rather difficult to locate him outside. There are only a couple of acres that he had access to but there were lots of shrubs, small evergreens and other neat places that he lovedto nap in. We bought a little remote device that we put on his collar that beeped and blinked when we pressed the button so that we could find him when it was time to go in. The only problem... you had to be within 15 feet for the remote to work. Lots of walking and button pushing but it worked. He also knew certain gestures if he happened to see me.

Joy
Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Hi I am new to this site but have been lurking for a while. I just had to reply to your post. We have a 16 yr old Springer who has been deaf since she was 8. She had surgery for a lump and the vet gave her to much anesthesia it caused her to be totally deaf. We had a harder time adjusting than she did because we felt so bad. She has been such a joy and is so smart. Her other senses took over for loss of hearing. She knows if I get my keys we are going for a ride or if I get my lunch bag I am going to work etc. She always stays in eyesight of us. I think you would truly be amazed at how well the dog has adapted to being deaf. Our dog is slowly wearing out she now has cancer but still brings us such joy.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I have a dog at 16 yo is pretty deaf, equal to a person about early 90s, she responds to hand signals and follows my white shoes and my body. She never acted like she could hear good when she was younger, always been in a fenced yard.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 AM

You all have been so encouraging! We are going to meet Robby this afternoon - keep your fingers crossed it works out. And pics will be in order if it does. Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 AM
JS

I hope you take the dog. The difference you will encounter with a deaf dog is ..your first instinct is to say no or correct with your voice. You will have to work with the dog to get his attention. Just as with hearing dogs a first level obedience class would be good. Even with an older dog. That class will teach you how to handle the dog and how to train. The only difference is you will use hand signals. Once this is done he will watch you all the time and you will use hand signals instead of words. Really not hard at all. good luck. so happy to hear you are doing this.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:58 PM

a friend of mine had rescue great danes, one was deaf and she was able to teach him some sign language. she made them up and knew when he was ready to eat or go out to potty. she was a big lap dog. love made all the difference.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 PM

hope it all goes well for you! let us know!