possible new (deaf) dog

Old 12-06-2010, 05:56 PM

I had a dog that was going deaf (19+ years). I made sure she was looking at me (I went looking for her), and used signals she and I understood. I would take a deaf dog under my wing in a heartbeat again.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM

I'm a firm believer rescue pets are the best companions - despite their physical differences. I hope it works out for you.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

i have a new kitty ZOEY, and i trained her with words and hand signals, as i do all my pets, and even my son when he was a baby.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 AM

We did go to meet Roby (turns out his name is pronounced with a long o - not Robbie as I thought). Anyway, although his deafness was no longer an issue to me, there were some other health related issues that made us decide to pass. I feel badly for Roby and hope he finds a good home soon. Otherwise I really would have taken him after reading all your encouraging notes. So I am still looking. Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

I haven't had a deaf dog, but have had a Springer, and they make wonderful pets. They are the sweetest dogs.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:19 PM

we had a deaf dalmation it was no problem dalmations are dumb anyway LOL
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by Aunt Patti
we had a deaf dalmation it was no problem dalmations are dumb anyway LOL
LMBO!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:46 PM

Our Harley dog went deaf after we adopted her. We had already taught her some sign language which helped a lot. Dogs seem to pick up sign language very quickly. She needed a bit more direction but not much. Best part? she couldn't hear the neighborhood dogs barking and so became very quiet. I don't think she knew she couldn't hear anymore. If you and the dog have a rapport the deafness probably won't be a big deal. Good Luck.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts
We did go to meet Roby (turns out his name is pronounced with a long o - not Robbie as I thought). Anyway, although his deafness was no longer an issue to me, there were some other health related issues that made us decide to pass. I feel badly for Roby and hope he finds a good home soon. Otherwise I really would have taken him after reading all your encouraging notes. So I am still looking. Thanks again.
That's too bad. Hope you find the right dog for you. :0)

I also wanted to add that I didn't have to create hand signals for my deaf dog as I naturally use hand signals with all pets. I bet many people do this and aren't really aware of it.

Also if anyone gets a deaf dog, the spoken name is meaningless to them. The vet needs a name and you'll need a name to refernce in conversation with people and that's about it. My dog's name is Two Hands Clapping or Foot Stomping on Floor.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned

I bought a 3yr old pug who turned out to be deaf, the fence issue is V important but hand signals and clapping to draw attention ,as they seem to respond to the rythm; also if sleeping and wanting to attract attn I used to gently nudge her to wake her to go to bed.
she seemed to be able to hear v high pitched noises and bark when the others didn't, the best thing is ahearing companion who will be the deaf dog's ears.