Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Possibly moving back to Oregon! >

Possibly moving back to Oregon!

Possibly moving back to Oregon!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 AM

I lived in Illinois for 43 years and have been in Oregon for about 8 years. I miss my family there dreadfully, but I feel like I have a little piece of paradise here. I hope you find your dream place!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 AM

Congrats! Isn't it wonderful when surprises like these pop up? Blessings...
Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM

Welcome Home! If you do move back, please PM me. We have a wonderful group of ladies that met on this board who live in the Central Oregon area. We get together once a month and do projects. We would love to have you join.

I was born and raised in Oregon. I have lived in Bend for 31 years. Love it here. This is definitely God's country.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 AM

OK - you all make me want to move to Oregon!! Certainly would be better than the 99 degree weather we are having in my part of Texas right now.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by I wonder
It's amazing how your life takes unexpected turns and then there is a new plan for retirement! Won't be happening until next year sometime, but I had looking at homes in the LaPine Oregon area on line, just browsing and couldn't believe what value you could get compared to the area in Washington state we were retiring too. Just happen to mention it to my daughter and her sweetheart and his partner have two properties they will be selling in the next couple of months. We could have either one if we are interested for far less than we had planned to buy! We are waiting on pictures for now, and we will be driving back the end of the month for a visual! We lived in the Willamette Valley area in Oregon for 22 years and it feels like we are moving home, or at least closer. Far less hectic than our crazy life in Chicago-land! My husband is nervous about carrying two mortgages for awhile, but we can't afford not to take advantage of this sweet deal! Here is hoping this all works out! We are so excited!
remember, if seems to good to be true it probably is...check out what the taxes are in OR!
The taxes in Deschutes County (LaPine) are pretty high compared to neighboring Crook (Prineville) and Wasco counties. We've considered LaPine, also, but the taxes stop us. Now looking strongly at Goldendale, WA
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
Welcome Home! If you do move back, please PM me. We have a wonderful group of ladies that met on this board who live in the Central Oregon area. We get together once a month and do projects. We would love to have you join.

I was born and raised in Oregon. I have lived in Bend for 31 years. Love it here. This is definitely God's country.
Amen to that. I was born and raised in Sherman County, with the most fantastic view of Mt. Hood!! So majestic all by itself. I miss it a lot.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 AM

[Amen to that. I was born and raised in Sherman County, with the most fantastic view of Mt. Hood!! So majestic all by itself. I miss it a lot.[/quote]

I have family in Sherman County. I used to spend the summers in Moro on my Aunt's ranch. My mother was born in Wasco.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 AM

I'm one of the "Hate it Here people". There are beautiful parts of Central Oregon...but there's some butt-ugly parts too. (Have NO respect for the junipers that turn me and many I know upside down every spring with allergies, AND I think they're ugly!!)
There are no sales taxes, but you pay through the nose for everything else because the business taxes are outrageous causing business owners to raise their prices, and the income taxes are high. Central and Eastern Oregon are outvoted in ANYTHING by Portland...example, last election for govenor, a Republican was winning all day by a goodly amount, until they counted the Multnomah county votes...Portland won again. Works that way with bond issues that benefit the Portland area but do nothing for Central or Eastern Oregon. Property taxes are also high in Central OR. Right now, with the economy in the tank, properties are selling very low...but they get you with the taxes...

Then again...this area has a fairly low crime rate, you have lots of outdoor activites in skiing, hunting, fishing, camping...you're close to the Sisters Quilt show, and 3-4 hours away from shopping in Portland...The Three Sisters (mountains) are really pretty, (but watch that second one, she's an active volcano! ;) )

I know there are downsides no matter where you live, it's just a question of what bothers you the most. Me? I'd be happier nearly ANYWHERE but here... :lol:
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Good for you. I lived in Coos Bay/North Bend area for 5 years and loved it.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 AM

As a child I lived on the hill across the highway from were I live now. We moved away when I was 12. After being married for 10 years my husband and I moved to the house we have lived in for the past 32 years. From my living room window I can see the barn that was built when I was 9! I feel lucky to have returned to my roots!