Postal Service Changes

Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 AM

I've worked for the government and I know exactly what you're saying! For every good worker, there's usually two standing around!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 AM

I know they are talking about closing the sorting area here in Ft Myers and having stuff go thru Miami. I thought it already went thru some place else.

I pay my bills online. And yet, I hold out letting them replace my paper bills with online billing. Tho it sure would help clean off my desk, sigh. I guess it will eventually come to that, tho. They are even offering bribes now, lol.

You would think ebay would keep the post office in business, altho I guess Fedex is delivering a lot of the stuff lately, come to think of it.

Is the post office actually under government control, and not run privately already? Need to check that out. I thought they switched over years ago, at least to some extent. I know with the internet, and with being able to call long distance on my cell phone at no extra charge, regular letter writing has really gone down to nearly non-existent.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dix
I think email, facebook and I Phones have ruined our postal mailing system! I am not sure that is good!
I KNOW it isn't good, because I do NO business online.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
All this being said, if the federal gov. hasn't been able to run the postal sector of our country, do I really want them in charge of my health-care decisions? No...
So very true! Don't want to make this political so won't say any more.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 AM

The way it is looking here in Arkansas, Little Rock may be our only processing location. They moved Ft Smith to Fayetteville and are now talking of moving both to Little Rock. Did you notice Postmaster instead of Postmistress? My post office opens at 7:30 am, closes from 11:30 to 1:00 for lunch and closes at 4:00 p.m. 1 1/2 hours for lunch??? Wish I could find a job like that. LOL
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 AM

All this will help UPS and Fed Ex. Will miss going to the mail box to get all the junk mail and my quilting magazines.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dix
I think email, facebook and I Phones have ruined our postal mailing system! I am not sure that is good!
I am sure it is not good. froggyintexas
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sheila_H
I don't think in today's business that there should be any unions, they've pretty much been the reason factories, other businesses shut down. They go on strike and the union bosses collect their full time pay while others lose their cars, homes, jobs. We have enough rules and regulations in place now by law to protect workers and their rights, so employers should be telling the unions to take a hike.
On the contrary, I think management has way too much power right now and workers rights are disappearing rapidly - just look at how many of the people fortunate enough to have a job have to work 60+ hour weeks these days. Some unions got a little power hungry and needed to modify their actions, but the pendulum has swung too far the other way and the unions are needed for balance.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:20 PM

Let me start this by saying that I am not a Union person...however, my hubby is a retired letter-carrier and if it weren't for the union, Postal employees wouldn't stand a chance. The higher ups expect impossible things from the little guys. I have always said that there are way too many Chiefs. Some of those hot shots should have to get out there and work for a living...maybe then they would understand.
Hubby retired under the Federal program...his Social Security check is less than it should be because he is Federal. Even though he had enough credits before he started working for the Postal Service.
They are closing so many of the little Post Offices. Oh, gosh, don't get me started on the Postal System. It's like our government, they don't care about the "little people", only lining their own pockets.
Off my soap box.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
Originally Posted by charismah
Yeah..They are closing our processing center as well..laying off thousands of people across the country...They are actually saying that in a few years they will probably shut down USPS and make it all go private. They are also going to quilt delivering mail on Saturdays. Only 5 days a week.
Charisma.....
LOL...re-read your topic response...I think you have quilting on the brain like I always do....LOL
I do this same thing ALL the time!!! :roll: :lol: Gosh, wonder why? :lol: