Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Potato: how many pounds do you eat? (fact finding mission) >

Potato: how many pounds do you eat? (fact finding mission)

Potato: how many pounds do you eat? (fact finding mission)

Old 03-07-2010, 04:31 PM

WOW I am wondering now if you eat so many potato's do you eat pasta or perhaps rice on other times? Maybe it all adds up the same? I was gifted 10lbs of potatos on the first of Feb. I tried SO hard to use them up for the two of us. I am not one to waste food at all and if it can be used it will be used but still there was 1/3 left and that was potato overkill (they died). I dont fry much and my sweetie wont eat potato soup or other fun things like that so half a potato small for dinner cool.. maybe about 3 latkes with a meal and that is it for two days .. I saw how reasonable they are now that ST. Pats is on its way..shoot! Still 300 lbs a year sounds like a lot of spuds! Obviously clueless in CA.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:15 PM

Sounds like you're just not big potato eaters. HALF a small potato? I could never just have half.

Actually, I go on jags. Sometimes it's rice for days on end, usually 1/4 - 1/3 cup cooked per serving. Sometimes it's pasta, rarely measured. Usually it's a mix of all three (over the course of a few days, not all together at one meal), with the balance favoring one or another. Sometimes it's none of the above.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

I love potatoes but I can't imagine eating that many. Of course I'm German not Irish. That explains it. Right? :lol: :lol:
Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by littlehud
I love potatoes but I can't imagine eating that many. Of course I'm German not Irish. That explains it. Right? :lol: :lol:
German potato salad?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 PM

Is it only a regional thing to put homemade chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes? And what about potatoes in a foil pouch (sliced with onions) on the grill? Guess that I grew up using potatoes for just about every meal. Mashed, fried leftover mashed, french fries, boiled with parsley and butter, baked, cubed with olive oil and ranch dressing baked in the oven, scalloped with lots of cheese, etc....can go on and on and on... LOL...Guess that this is from having a garden and digging lots of potatoes. (dug 200 lbs the day I went into labor with DS # 2 ) Some one had to do it or go hungry for the winter. LOL

Did I mention cubed potatoes in vegetable soup or stews? LOL....Made myself hungry even at this hour. :D
Old 03-07-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
German potato salad?
Don't let her get away with that "I'm German" excuse! Besides, Germans are known for their love for pork, and potatoes go so well with pork. :D
Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tigger5464
Is it only a regional thing to put homemade chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes? And what about potatoes in a foil pouch (sliced with onions) on the grill? Guess that I grew up using potatoes for just about every meal. Mashed, fried leftover mashed, french fries, boiled with parsley and butter, baked, cubed with olive oil and ranch dressing baked in the oven, scalloped with lots of cheese, etc....can go on and on and on... LOL...Guess that this is from having a garden and digging lots of potatoes. (dug 200 lbs the day I went into labor with DS # 2 ) Some one had to do it or go hungry for the winter. LOL

My exMIL got me started on homemade chicken and noodles over potatoes... I had never heard of that until we moved to NE and she served it... That is the only way my kids and I eat them now LOL I still try to convert others, too :D:D:D

Did I mention cubed potatoes in vegetable soup or stews? LOL....Made myself hungry even at this hour. :D
Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM

forgot to mention that my sons and I will peel and slice and eat them raw too. :D And potatoe doughnuts? MMMMMMM best ever in the world. :D

I know that in a year we probably go thru at least that many lbs or more.

And yes, we have rice and pasta all the time. Not just stuck on potatoes :D Potatoes cubed cooked in the same roaster as the beef roast and carrots.....:D
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
German potato salad?
Oh yummie. German potato salad. I gotta go make some . Thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tigger5464

I love chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes. DGD loves it too.