Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Potato: how many pounds do you eat? (fact finding mission) >

Potato: how many pounds do you eat? (fact finding mission)

Potato: how many pounds do you eat? (fact finding mission)

Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM

I never saw chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes except in Kansas and Nebraska. I was so surprised when I was given a starch over a starch for dinner! That WAS the vegetable!
My dd loves them, can't get enough. I have no doubt her family eats 300 lbs of potatoes a year.

My dh and I eat 2 baked potatoes a week, a few fries, sometimes hashbrowns, probably mashed once a week.

We rarely eat pasta, we eat rice once to twice a week. Bread we eat every day, though.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Dieting here, so don't eat many potatoes, Love sweet potatoes, twice backed potatoes, 'smashed' potatoes are great too. Oh, and raw fries that my mother used to make. And string potato pancakes. You're making me hungry and I need to go quilt.

I actually went a full year WITHOUT eating a potato!
Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I never saw chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes except in Kansas and Nebraska. I was so surprised when I was given a starch over a starch for dinner! That WAS the vegetable!
My friend who grew up in New Orleans liked to invite me to supper where she fixed white rice with black beans and big sausages. That is what I wondered, starch with starch? But it was yummy.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honey
We use about ten pds a month. I used to fix potatos every day for supper, but now I have cut back to once maybe twice a week. After all, what good is a potato without LOTS of butter or very fattening gravy.
Amen to that. Must have butter and salt on my baked potatoes.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 PM

Potatoes...YEAH!!! Love 'em just about any way I can get 'em! Can't handle sweet potatoes, though.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:25 PM

i always thought that it isn't the potato that was fattening, but the stuff you cook it with or put on it. not true? anyway, for a quick lunch, i bake one in the microwave and top it with salsa. works for me. 8-)
Old 03-09-2010, 04:25 PM

We eat MORE than 300 pounds a year. We are from IDAHO. I have never met a potato I didn't like. Our mascot at our high school is even a potato (we are the Russets). Potatoes are cheap here and we eat them 5 to 6 times a week All different ways. We Love them!!!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM

Baked potatoes with cottage cheese on them are great! No butter! Just a little salt and pepper! YUM! I've also been known to eat a small can of tuna on a baked potato when on a diet! My Polish ex-MIL made chicken and noodles on mashed taters! Oh, my! I do miss her cooking!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 PM

We eat chicken and noodles or beef and noodles over mashed potatoes, always. In fact, my girls won't even eat noodles without mashed potatoes. When all the kids come home, I mash 10 pounds just for that day's dinner. We LOVE our taties.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing
My friend who grew up in New Orleans liked to invite me to supper where she fixed white rice with black beans and big sausages. That is what I wondered, starch with starch? But it was yummy.
I'm confused. The only starch here is the rice. Where's the "starch with starch?"

By the way, rice & beans is a classic combination, especially in vegetarian dishes.

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i always thought that it isn't the potato that was fattening, but the stuff you cook it with or put on it. not true?
Potatoes eaten in moderation are fine, but they are starchy, and they are carb foods and they're high on the glycemic index, too. But you're right, it's the stuff you put on them that takes them from being a healthy food to being unhealthy.