Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
practice -- practice - practice >

practice -- practice - practice

practice -- practice - practice

Old 04-27-2018, 07:12 AM

wow, a critique section.
That would be a gift to us all! Maybe the powers will consider it. I've been making quilts since I was 8, and passionately since 1971. I Still have questions. YouTube isn't vetted, those that make videos are possibly no more polished than myself. Missouri Quilt lady does a lot of things I'm in horror of but I'd never point it out here, I' be lynched!
Old 04-27-2018, 09:07 AM

Macybaby-thanks for your pist....all points well stated. I totally agree with your assessment.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:10 AM

We could call it 'The Quilters Critique Corner' but there would have to be a sign at the door "Quilters Beware - Only the serious should enter!"
Old 04-27-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
We could call it 'The Quilters Critique Corner' but there would have to be a sign at the door "Quilters Beware - Only the serious should enter!"
I'd welcome it. It's great to get encouraging comments and it's also great to get honest assessment of a block with suggestions for improvement. We can always take what we want and leave the rest.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:53 PM

Here is the sewing board I mentioned. I'd not been on there for a long time, and it looks like they are now a subscription, but you can still read for free.

http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.php
Old 04-27-2018, 05:39 PM

Macybaby, I think your initial post to this thread is right on. While I also think it's great that everyone is very supportive, I'm not sure that is the best way to approach some threads. There was a post a few days ago 'constructive criticism wanted'. Many of the posters did exactly as you state...'you go girl'. The OP was asking for advice as to how to improve her skills. I offered my opinions as did a couple of others. From the responses seen after my post, I think the OP truly appreciated those folks who offered advice as to how she could improve her results. I don't think anyone in that thread was rude. If a poster is asking for advice, give it to them!! That's why they posted their question. We can all offer suggestions without being rude. Many folks here are experts in their fields and/or specialties. We are here to share. Let's do it!

I think a critique section would be awesome. If I ever manage to delve into machine quilting as I continually threaten myself to do, I will welcome advice/critique!
Old 04-28-2018, 10:05 PM

It seems to me the board is most helpful when people post questions about a particular problem they're having and ask what to do. There are always people who are willing to share their methods and resources or say what works for them. I often search the board for ideas. When people mention a technique that requires a special gadget, ruler, presser foot or whatever, I quite often go to youtube and see what demos are available before I buy. I have learned a lot that way. I have also signed up for a few Craftsy classes teaching whatever I'm hoping to learn. Several of those are helpful, and they're always available to review. The instructors will answer students' questions, and there's usually printable course material. I have a long way to go, but feel that since we have had Internet the ability to learn from each other is vastly better than it's ever been before. We have at our fingertips resources that the typical library of 30 years ago could not begin to offer. Back then if you lived in an average size town the chances were pretty slim that your library or bookstore had more than a half dozen useful books on quilting. Your best hope would have been to find a few people nearby to share your interest. Here we have literally thousands of great brains to pick.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:38 AM

Yes, I agree, Macybaby. I think that when someone is asking for help, that's what you should give. I tend to give a sugar pill, a little tea and sympathy, a little encouragement, and leave the real instructions to the one's here who are much more talented than I am. I know that is the correct role for me because I fit into the a little more sloppy quilting category. You'll never see my quilts pictured here. (I don't even know how to unload them anyway. ) I just love to quilt and I love fabric and I love chatting with y'all.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:12 PM

Only perfect practice makes perfect. I guess my question, who wants to be perfect? Sounds boring to me. I do try to learn by my mistakes.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

In my opinion - - -

I don't think "practice makes perfect"-

practice (as in repetition) - might help one improve a technique

or

it might just reinforce a bad habit.