Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   CHOOSING A MATTRESS (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/choosing-mattress-t131661.html)

Susanna10 06-20-2011 06:22 AM

I have slept on a waterbed for years and hate regular mattresses. I fight all night whenever we go places and can hardly wait to get home to my waterbed.

catrancher 06-20-2011 07:02 AM

I'm a chronic pain sufferer, and I love the Sleep Number bed.

linhawk 06-20-2011 08:40 AM

I personally don't like memory foam. It's hot and difficult to change positions or get out of the bed.

plainpat 06-20-2011 08:46 AM

I'm loving the info you all have shared.The more I look into buying a mattress, the more I realize....it's going to be a personal choice. Kind of a "pay big $$$....then hope & pray it's fit to sleep on" thing.

Someone mentioned a foam mattress was hard to make up....why is that?
We have a nice split innerspring base for a K size mattress & will use that.Our last mattress, maybe 6 yrs old has a deep crease in the pillow top middle....with loose fabric & of course it was expensive.....so we hate to buy another loser.Maybe a cheaper one every few yrs makes more sense?

IKEA has a 90 day "return policy"....nice, but returning a K size mattress isn't for the faint of heart ! Kind of like the solid foam one at Sams.This time, I'm determined to read/research & find one that will suit us.....or me, as DH doesn't care.

plainpat 06-20-2011 08:48 AM

Can I ask if you saw the mattress before buying? have heard good things about the mattress in a box.Closest Costco is maybe 50 miles away.Might ask DD to check it out. They're in her town.

Originally Posted by CaroleLee
I bought the mattress in a box from Costco and think its the best one I have ever purchased. I did not buy a new box spring, just used what was there.

mary quite contrary 06-20-2011 08:51 AM

Sleep number. Best we've ever had.

sklayne 06-20-2011 08:52 AM

Have had a sleep # bed for 10 years. Love it. Got a foam mattress (expensive) & hated it. They are HOT & it sunk where I slept. It is only a year & a half old. Had in my second home...left it there when I sold the house. Also, check the weight of those foam mattresses. Can't move them, they are so heavy.

BellaBoo 06-20-2011 08:59 AM

DD bought all Sam's Club mattresses and box springs for all her bedrooms. I have slept on a set and it was very comfortable. No complaints about it at all. The best mattress set I have slept on was a Simmons set at a very nice hotel. DH and I liked it so much we bought one.

MaryStoaks 06-20-2011 09:19 AM

I have an Electropedic bed with foam matress and love it. The foam matress seems to have layers of foam with different densities inside, I don't think it's memory foam. I love this bed, it adjusts to sit-up and read or any angle that is comortable. It has massage, 4 different programs and is remote control too. It was expensive but I've had it for 7 years and would buy it again.

FancyFoot 06-20-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Susanna10
I have slept on a waterbed for years and hate regular mattresses. I fight all night whenever we go places and can hardly wait to get home to my waterbed.

I've been sleeping on a waterbed for 35 years :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:. I wake up sore on a regular mattress :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
I make my own waterbed sheets too :wink: :wink: :wink: